CPU temp high all of a sudden! Help!

Playing competitive CSGO and all of a sudden this happened:

360+fps --> 100fps

30% load --> 100%

CPU temps went up to 52 Celsius and higher.

This has never happened before. It just happened right now while i was playing csgo. I haven't taken anything apart but I do have an h100i liquid cooler for my cpu. Could it be broken? Should I use a cpu fan instead? Is it a glitch or something? 

Here are my specs:

Case:

Power Supply:

Motherboard:

CPU:

Memory:

Hard Drive:

Video Card:

Headphones:

Monitor:

Mouse:

Mousepad:

Keyboard:

idle cpu temp is in the high 30s and low 40s right now. Seems high to me. Anyone know what could be the problem?

1 minute ago, jewishdolphins said:

idle cpu temp is in the high 30s and low 40s right now. Seems high to me. Anyone know what could be the problem?

What are your "normal" idle and max temps?

3 hours ago, done12many2 said:

What are your "normal" idle and max temps?

just posted it. goes from high 30s to low 40s. not terrible, but definitely not normal. I've never lagged in counter strike in my life. I was playing for a while, but I expect a lot more from an i5 4690k. Especially since CSGO can literally run on a poop laptop.

2 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

Make sure the fan is running. Feel the base of your water cooler and see if you can feel the water running through the tubes. 

PC:  Ryzen 5 1600 Gigabyte Gaming AB350 Gaming 3 | 16gb DDR4 2666MHz | Sapphire 5700xt 8gb | 2x Crucial 1TB SSD | EVGA 650w Fully Modular PSU | NZXT H440

3 hours ago, Garett1 said:

Make sure the fan is running. Feel the base of your water cooler and see if you can feel the water running through the tubes. 

not sure about the tubes, but the fans definitely run as they are supposed to. Could thermal paste be a factor as well? 

Just now, jewishdolphins said:

just posted it. goes from high 30s to low 40s. not terrible, but definitely not normal. I've never lagged in counter strike in my life. I was playing for a while, but I expect a lot more from an i5 4690k. Especially since CSGO can literally run on a poop laptop.

I don't think you understand what I'm asking.  You initially stated that your temps are all of a sudden different.  That's why I asked what your normal temps at both idle and max are?

not sure about the tubes, but the fans definitely run as they are supposed to. Could thermal paste be a factor as well? 

Yes for sure. You may want to re apply your thermal paste.

PC:  Ryzen 5 1600 Gigabyte Gaming AB350 Gaming 3 | 16gb DDR4 2666MHz | Sapphire 5700xt 8gb | 2x Crucial 1TB SSD | EVGA 650w Fully Modular PSU | NZXT H440

Is it overclocked ?

I get 35 to 40 idle temp with my 4690k @ 4.5 ghz with a coolermaster evo 212

Yes for sure. You may want to re apply your thermal paste.

should I change back to fan cooling since I can actually see the fans running on top of the cpu? I'm only hesitant since my liquid cooler literally costed me 100 bucks. 

From experience I can tell you that my idle temps were around 50C. And I couldn't figure out why, I took off my CPU cooler just to find that the thermal paste was about halfway gone and not covering the full CPU. I re applied the thermal paste and my temps went back down to about 20C

3 hours ago, smokefest said:

Is it overclocked ?

I get 35 to 40 idle temp with my 4690k @ 4.5 ghz with a coolermaster evo 212

it's not overclocked at all. its 3.5 ghz. and its not just something that slowly happened over time. ive literally monitored my pc while playing csgo on native graphics and everything is usually low and right now it just went south fast.

should I change back to fan cooling since I can actually see the fans running on top of the cpu? I'm only hesitant since my liquid cooler literally costed me 100 bucks. 

Re apply the thermal paste first. If the temps are the same and you feel no water running through the tubes you may want to replace your CPU cooler.

Usually with liquid coolers if the temperatures just spike like you are claiming then it is because the pump has given out. Check it for vibrations, if you can't feel anything I would suggest getting in touch with corsair. 

From experience I can tell you that my idle temps were around 50C. And I couldn't figure out why, I took off my CPU cooler just to find that the thermal paste was about halfway gone and not covering the full CPU. I re applied the thermal paste and my temps went back down to about 20C

so the rice grain method is actually a lie???? lolol. how often do you have to reapply it? I thought that you just apply it once when you construct your pc and just let it sit there until you upgrade again xD

3 hours ago, KE2012 said:

Usually with liquid coolers if the temperatures just spike like you are claiming then it is because the pump has given out. Check it for vibrations, if you can't feel anything I would suggest getting in touch with corsair. 

is there any way that it could be vibrating and still not be working? cause i checked right now and the tubes vibrate, the fans move. however, not sure if theres any way that it could still be considered broken. 

I'll check the thermal paste after someone replies to this.

also i turned my pc back on and launched csgo and temperatures are still around the 50s

1 minute ago, jewishdolphins said:

is there any way that it could be vibrating and still not be working? cause i checked right now and the tubes vibrate, the fans move. however, not sure if theres any way that it could still be considered broken. 

I'll check the thermal paste after someone replies to this.

One way is I guess you could turn the speed to max (It is vairable speed if I remember correctly right?) and put your ear on the radiator, can you hear the liquid moving around?  

6 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

sorry, here it is: http://imgur.com/a/Nh6CQ

Clean it off and just apply it again. See if temps drop.

Clean it off and just apply it again. See if temps drop.

ok, but just to be safe and for the sake of time, ill just switch to a fan cpu cooler instead. 

ok, but just to be safe and for the sake of time, ill just switch to a fan cpu cooler instead. 

Good luck!

Good luck!

wait. i just noticed something. theres 2 wires coming out of the cpu block. and i only had 1 connected to the power supply while the other one was just hanging. could the other wire be for something else? not really sure where it plugs into.