Hyper-V inside a VM, doubt I will like the answer

So this weekend I am going to be ditching Windows 10 and reverting back to 8.1. I was thinking of using a virtualisation solution like UnRaid, but I need Hyper-V in Windows for mobile development.

I think I know the answer, but will Hyper-V still work inside such a setup as it requires CPU virtualisation and SLAT support? I'm guessing not as UnRaid/whatever I use will be using them features, leaving anything running inside a VM unable to access them.

It's not officially supported. And you can't start the virtual machines.

Server 2012 with HyperV (either core or standard) can be installed in a virtualized environment. But you're not able to launch virtualized OS's within the environment, so it's kind of pointless. 

For example, I have a Windows 10 pro box that I want to admin a different physical HyperV server, and it's a PITA to get the hyperv client to work and connect correctly. 

So I installed VMware workstation and an instance of Server 2012. I wanted to install the hyperv tools, however you are met with the obvious "can't run a VM in a VM error" (HyperV cannot be installed: The hypervisor is already running).But you can still install the hyperv tools to admin other servers via powershell. 

Here is an article to explain:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/gbanin/2013/06/25/how-to-install-hyper-v-on-a-virtual-machine-in-hyper-v/

It is officially supported in the very latest version of Windows 10 Hyper-V and also in Windows Server 2016, it's even a feature important enough that Microsoft thought worth to specifically mention at various different tech shows that I have been to. Mostly since VMware has been able to do this for ages.

13 hours ago, Rison said:

For example, I have a Windows 10 pro box that I want to admin a different physical HyperV server, and it's a PITA to get the hyperv client to work and connect correctly. 

So I installed VMware workstation and an instance of Server 2012. I wanted to install the hyperv tools, however you are met with the obvious "can't run a VM in a VM error" (HyperV cannot be installed: The hypervisor is already running).But you can still install the hyperv tools to admin other servers via powershell. 

That's very easy to get setup. As long as you're on a domain account that has the correct permissions, it's as simple as "right click, Connect to Server." If you're not on a Domain at all, I'd recommend spinning one up. Centralized authentication is a wonderful thing.

I gave up and just installed Win 8.1. I have an XP laptop for my oscilloscope that wont work with anything higher, and naything I develop on Win 8.1 will work on future versions of Windows for quite a while I would imagine.