wait for kaby lake?

Guonus

Hey guys i was thinking of getting a 6700k but I'm not sure what the impact of the kaby lakes will be having to the skylake range should i wait for them or just get it before? thx;)

17 minutes ago, Guonus said:

Hey guys i was thinking of getting a 6700k but I'm not sure what the impact of the kaby lakes will be having to the skylake range should i wait for them or just get it before? thx;)

Kabylake will only be about ~10% faster than Skylake and will be on the same socket if you really want to upgrade when it comes out. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

33 minutes ago, Guonus said:

Why don't you wait for the architecture that Intel will release in 10 years that will be much better than Skylake, Kaby Lake, Cannonlake, etc.  Or wait 100 years for Intel to release something is much better than anything that they release within the next 99 years.  Or even better, wait 1000 years for something that's better than anything Intel will ever release in the next 999 years.  Or just wait forever for Intel to release something that's better than anything they produce in forever minus one.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

If recent CPU releases are to be a gauge of anything, then the 7700k should have about a 5%-10% architecture performance increase (things like the IPC). However, if the advertised boost clocks are anything to go by, its looking like the 7700k should be able to clock much higher than the 6700k. I expect it will be a fair bit better in this regard, in ADDITION to its architecture improvements.

For example, my 6700k blatantly refuses to go faster than 4.6GHz, and that's at 1.37V on water. I've tried 4.7 out to 1.44V and the thing just won't be stable (and temps just get too high for me beyond that point). The 7700k is going to boost to 4.5GHz on its own at STOCK settings. Whilst this could be intel simply realizing that they should all be able to hit that area, even though their top clocks will be about the same (the 4.8-ish area for the most part was skylake) it COULD also be that the new generation is able to be more stable at higher clocks and maybe we can see people pushing closer to 5GHz or more with more ease. If that is the case (which I suspect it will be) then you get a performance boost greater than the mere architectural improvements that people are used to seeing with new CPU launches over the last few years.

TL:DR BAAAAAAASICALLY there is no way to answer this question until Kaby Lake comes out. We can't know exactly how much better it will be until it releases and people start benchmarking and overclocking. Even if my suspicions are right, that Kaby Lake is going to be a slightly bigger leap than what we're used to, Kaby Lake is not going to be SO revolutionary that its going to make Skylake obsolete by any means. Getting a 6700k will be able to run any game very well for many years to come, and its no slouch when it comes to workstation uses either if that is more your cup of tea.

The question you should be asking yourself is "can i suffer through using my current rig until early 2017 when the 7700k is going to be released". If the answer is yes, then great, wait it out and get Kaby Lake. if your current rig is too insufferable to wait until then.... theeen get Skylake. pretty simple dilemma =)

thx Zyndo, ill wait untill i actauly know whats goin on with the kaby lakes then ill make a move. im not in that much of a rush. Because you have the asus z170-A do you think it is a good mobo, ive been trying to find a good mobo 4 a while now.

4 hours ago, Guonus said:

thx Zyndo, ill wait untill i actauly know whats goin on with the kaby lakes then ill make a move. im not in that much of a rush. Because you have the asus z170-A do you think it is a good mobo, ive been trying to find a good mobo 4 a while now.

From the looks of it, "Kaby Lake" should rather be called "Skylake Refresh". As far as performance goes, it's pretty much the exact same thing as the 6th gen (+ some extra features), the performance gains will come purely from better clocks. Besides, it's only coming in 2017.

Frankly, don't wait. Go for the 6700k now.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

i reckon ill get the 6700k because I'm not going to do insane clocks and it will run everything at top spec, dont really need the 10% boost i just realized, thx imakuni