Overheating CPU ?

Lolcrokn

Alright so i downloaded battlefield 1 open beta. My quite old system ( 4 years i think ) can surprisingly handle it pretty well....

Until i found out that it freezes every now and then ( around every 30 seconds-1 min ) and once i check temperatures my cpu is all the way up to ~90°C which i know is not good 

IT is i5-3570K with cooler that came with it (stock cooler) .... it's socket is 1155 so i probably need to upgrade cpu cooler but to which one ? is hyper 212x evo good enough ? 

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB HyperX RAM

CPU: R5 3600 

Motherboard: ASRock B450 Fatal1ty gaming K4

Just now, Lolcrokn said:

Alright so i downloaded battlefield 1 open beta. My quite old system ( 4 years i think ) can surprisingly handle it pretty well....

Until i found out that it freezes every now and then ( around every 30 seconds-1 min ) and once i check temperatures my cpu is all the way up to ~90°C which i know is not good 

IT is i5-3570K with cooler that came with it (stock cooler) .... it's socket is 1155 so i probably need to upgrade cpu cooler but to which one ? is hyper 212x evo good enough ? 

also, would it fix any temps if i do cable management properly and clean some of the dust from cooler (there's not much dust but there is a little )

1 minute ago, Lolcrokn said:

also, would it fix any temps if i do cable management properly and clean some of the dust from cooler (there's not much dust but there is a little )

well, unless your OC'ng your cpu, that stock cooler should suffice (depending on whether or not you have adequate airflow to disperse the heat being radiated by the cooler).

To answer your question about whether or not you should clean you rig up, and remove dust and what not....YES! if you think you can remove your stock cooler, and blow through the aluminum heat sync, and chunks of dust fly off.....YES!!

I don't know why you would use the stock cooler with K CPUs since their purpose is overclocking. What is your budget for the cooler?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Cable management doesn't effect temps, have you replaced the thermal paste for the CPU since you built the system?

changed thermal paste like december last year

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

I don't know why you would use the stock cooler with K CPUs since their purpose is overclocking. What is your budget for the cooler?

cause as i said i bought it 4 years ago when i knew nothing about pc's so it was a prebuilt... and in pretty much all pre builts they give you stock cooler even if it is K cpu. My budget is like 30-35$ MAXimum. My cpu is not overclocked yet but i would maybe even consider it if i had a better cooler

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Cable management doesn't effect temps, have you replaced the thermal paste for the CPU since you built the system?

if he looks at his rig, and says "maybe i should clean those cables up", then its prolly bad enough that it could be blocking airflow throughout. maybe?

1 minute ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

if he looks at his rig, and says "maybe i should clean those cables up", then its prolly bad enough that it could be blocking airflow throughout. maybe?

it is pretty bad ... it doesn't really go close to fans but i can see it increasing the temps in case itself 

Welp, maybe change it again and dust the cooler, see how your temps are after that.

Agreed. OP, like i said before, if youre not OC'ng your cpu (at least with intel) your stock cooler should be sufficient. but taking a microfiber cloth and some 99% propylene alcohol to the plate and reapplying some thermal grease should help. possibly. at least it wont hurt it.

For sure dust everything out...including the find on that cooler

Just now, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

Agreed. OP, like i said before, if youre not OC'ng your cpu (at least with intel) your stock cooler should be sufficient. but taking a microfiber cloth and some 99% propylene alcohol to the plate and reapplying some thermal grease should help. possibly. at least it wont hurt it.

For sure dust everything out...including the find on that cooler

i meant fins, not find lol

1 minute ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

i meant fins, not find lol

ok i will try and catch some time to apply thermal paste and clean some dust off from those fans thanks for help :D until i do that i wont really turn on bf1 coz i dont want to burn my pc and house on fire

Just now, Lolcrokn said:

ok i will try and catch some time to apply thermal paste and clean some dust off from those fans thanks for help :D until i do that i wont really turn on bf1 coz i dont want to burn my pc and house on fire

haha, completely understandable.

what program are you using to monitor your temperatures with?

haha, completely understandable.

what program are you using to monitor your temperatures with?

speccy and a few other .. if you think its not trustable program you can suggest me something else :P

11 minutes ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

No.

Just now, Lolcrokn said:

speccy and a few other .. if you think its not trustable program you can suggest me something else :P

are you running the free or paid version of speccy? not that i would know the difference between the two because ive never used it, but i seen it has a few extras that come with the paid version.

Personally, for me, i use CPUID. Although ive been told that its a reliable program, i still use my corsair link program for myliquid cooler, and it tells me a different temp than what CPUID does.

im not saying that speccy isnt reliable, mainly because your game should freeze whether or not speccy is installed. well, it SHOULDNT be freezing, but the no monitor program should have an affect on your game freezes

2 minutes ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

are you running the free or paid version of speccy? not that i would know the difference between the two because ive never used it, but i seen it has a few extras that come with the paid version.

Personally, for me, i use CPUID. Although ive been told that its a reliable program, i still use my corsair link program for myliquid cooler, and it tells me a different temp than what CPUID does.

im not saying that speccy isnt reliable, mainly because your game should freeze whether or not speccy is installed. well, it SHOULDNT be freezing, but the no monitor program should have an affect on your game freezes

will see all once i clean it and stuff

No.

hmm, i will def take a min to watch that here in a few. thank you.

But lets say for example, you have a HDD bay in front of your front intake fans. logically, being that there is an obstruction in the way, the air cannot move in the path of least resistance, making it harder to cool vrms and expel hot air. 

i would think that if you had a JUMBLE of cables that looked like "poison ivy" from batman lived in the rig, there would be an obstruction that would lead to at least a few degrees in temp difference.

Im not arguing, just thinking, friend.

3 minutes ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

hmm, i will def take a min to watch that here in a few. thank you.

But lets say for example, you have a HDD bay in front of your front intake fans. logically, being that there is an obstruction in the way, the air cannot move in the path of least resistance, making it harder to cool vrms and expel hot air. 

i would think that if you had a JUMBLE of cables that looked like "poison ivy" from batman lived in the rig, there would be an obstruction that would lead to at least a few degrees in temp difference.

Im not arguing, just thinking, friend.

Tests have already been done by LTT, you need to literally fill your case with boxes and shirts to get any noticeable temperature effects. Having bad cable management or a hard drive cage in front of a fan does nothing to your temperatures.

Tests have already been done by LTT, you need to literally fill your case with boxes and shirts to get any noticeable temperature effects. Having bad cable management or a hard drive cage in front of a fan does nothing to your temperatures.

What about components that done have a cooler on them? like the resistors on the mainboard and things like that? does this mean that as long as im not OC'ng, i can just use the stock cpu cooler and the stock gpu cooler, sin chassis fans?

What about components that done have a cooler on them? like the resistors on the mainboard and things like that? does this mean that as long as im not OC'ng, i can just use the stock cpu cooler and the stock gpu cooler, sin chassis fans?

Those components which are passively cooled only need a minimal amount of any airflow to keep them within reasonable temps, even filling your case with t shirts and boxes won't cause those components to overheat if you aren't overclocking. Overclocking is up in the air though, though I wouldn't try to do a worst case scenario with my case airflow for that. ;)

Stock though, it's fine.

Those components which are passively cooled only need a minimal amount of any airflow to keep them within reasonable temps, even filling your case with t shirts and boxes won't cause those components to overheat if you aren't overclocking. Overclocking is up in the air though, though I wouldn't try to do a worst case scenario with my case airflow for that. ;)

Stock though, it's fine.

NICE! i love learning something new.

i was wondering why my my cpu temps were hitting 8c during idle. lol (so many fans, and the h100i v2)

NICE! i love learning something new.

i was wondering why my my cpu temps were hitting 8c during idle. lol (so many fans, and the h100i v2)

Yep, it's amazing how much really doesn't matter when it comes to computers. :D