A6-5400k normal temps

Jared_1

I recently bought an AMD A6-5400k APU and I installed it using the stock heatsink on an Asrock FM2A68M-DG3+ motherboard. I've noticed that temps at idle in the BIOS are around 50c. Is that way to high for this CPU or would I see better results with an aftermarket cooler. Keep in mind that I'm going to be replacing this cpu in a month or two with an x4 845 :D. I just needed this to update the BIOS to support the x4 845.

I had an FM1 A6-4650 and I got 75C on max load with the junky HP stock cooler that was smaller and louder than the stock AMD one.

Play the most demandind game you'll play for an hour and watch the temps, I think anything below 80c for AMD is fine.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

8 minutes ago, Jared_1 said:

I recently bought an AMD A6-5400k APU and I installed it using the stock heatsink on an Asrock FM2A68M-DG3+ motherboard. I've noticed that temps at idle in the BIOS are around 50c. Is that way to high for this CPU or would I see better results with an aftermarket cooler. Keep in mind that I'm going to be replacing this cpu in a month or two with an x4 845 :D. I just needed this to update the BIOS to support the x4 845.

As long as it doesn't go above 62c under load it doesn't really matter. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

15 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Depends, what are the temps on load?

I think somewhere around 60c or higher. I'll hopefully check tonight when I run Cinebench for the Cinebench thread.

13 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I had an FM1 A6-4650 and I got 75C on max load with the junky HP stock cooler that was smaller and louder than the stock AMD one.

Play the most demandind game you'll play for an hour and watch the temps, I think anything below 80c for AMD is fine.

Will do. At the moment it's only GTA 4 :D. I need to buy 8GB of RAM and a new hard drive before I can really test it.

12 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

Let's hope so :D.

3 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

Awkward moment when my A6-3650 ran at 80C while playing GTA V

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Idle is meaningless, check load. It should always stay under 74c, preferably under 65.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Thermal damage is around 74C :P it starts throttling at 64 ish

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

It worked, and still works. It's just sitting the the piece of shit HP motherboard sitting in.. well my AsRock Extreme4 ATX box atm lol

It hit 95C once because it was a gift a few years ago and the thermal paste from honestly dried up lol

13 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

It worked, and still works. It's just sitting the the piece of shit HP motherboard sitting in.. well my AsRock Extreme4 ATX box atm lol

It hit 95C once because it was a gift a few years ago and the thermal paste from honestly dried up lol

it's not guaranteed  to die but the chance is a lot higher

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

21 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

LOL. I had a Radeon HD 5450 GPU once and I caused it to crashed because it overheated when playing the game Xonotic at ultra. It was passively cooled card but I added a small fan to it and it worked for the most part. :)

18 minutes ago, Sauron said:

hmm. I need to lower the thermal shutdown from 88C (default) down to something lower. :D

14 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I would replace the thermal paste but I'm out :D. I need to buy some more sometime.

On a side note, what aftermarket FM2/FM2+ cooler would work in a Rosewill Line-M mATX case?

2 hours ago, Jared_1 said:

LOL. I had a Radeon HD 5450 GPU once and I caused it to crashed because it overheated when playing the game Xonotic at ultra. It was passively cooled card but I added a small fan to it and it worked for the most part. :)

hmm. I need to lower the thermal shutdown from 88C (default) down to something lower. :D

I would replace the thermal paste but I'm out :D. I need to buy some more sometime.

On a side note, what aftermarket FM2/FM2+ cooler would work in a Rosewill Line-M mATX case?

Um, BeQuiet and Cryorig both offer some low profile coolers that work well

The max temps I hit was 79C according to HWMonitor. Not sure how right that was. When I felt the heatsink, it didn't feel very warm. I may just have to remove and reattach the heatsink even though I have no more thermal paste. I'm hoping it's just a bad mount.

g4GB5Nw.png