Delid Die Guard where to get?

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
6 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

thats right, but most of the retention mechanism are held in place with screws, these screws should be adequate to the PCB thickness no? So it shouldnt be a problem or?

Oh taking a look at it, it reuses the same torx screws for the retention bracket and backplate on the motherboard so it shouldn't give you any issues at all.

3/4 page down: 

http://overclocking.guide/msi-z97-xpower-ac-review/

Is there some universal Delid Die Guard? so you wont crush your Die in case of big preassure? 

Will be using EKWB supremacy special stands for delid to be sure, i just want to be double sure so i want to use delid die guard. I know that MSI has one on the x97 board.

I am using Asus maximus Vii hero and processor is 4790k

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

2 minutes ago, seenster said:

https://www.caseking.de/der8auer-delid-die-mate-fsd8-015.html

German engineering in da house

I don't know about shipping to the us tho.

I am not asking about the deliding tool :) I am asking about something like this http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Z97-XPOWER-AC-CPU-Open-Cover-Protector-Delid-Die-Guard-For-LGA115X-Series-CPU/1389904_32621328449.html 

A delid die guard when you are screwing in a cpu cooler to not break the die :) 

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

3 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

I am asking to about the deliding tool :) I am asking about something like this http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Z97-XPOWER-AC-CPU-Open-Cover-Protector-Delid-Die-Guard-For-LGA115X-Series-CPU/1389904_32621328449.html 

A delid die guard when you are screwing in a cpu cooler to not break the die :) 

Oh. Sorry. I was just skimming your post and responded without thinking. Maybe you'll find more info in there http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-club-guide

2 minutes ago, seenster said:

Oh. Sorry. I was just skimming your post and responded without thinking. Maybe you'll find more info in there http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-club-guide

went through it especially looking for somethign similar, there is nothing written about it :-/ But i found a thread that says it should be universal for 1150 the delid guard from MSI but i am not sure. Thats why i am asking.

3 hours ago, bughtoo said:

went through it especially looking for somethign similar, there is nothing written about it :-/ But i found a thread that says it should be universal for 1150 the delid guard from MSI but i am not sure. Thats why i am asking.

The only way to get the MSI delid guard is to purchase a motherboard that came with one or to go on eBay and see who is not using it and wants to sell it. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

The only way to get the MSI delid guard is to purchase a motherboard that came with one or to go on eBay and see who is not using it and wants to sell it. 

not really 

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Z97-XPOWER-AC-CPU-Open-Cover-Protector-Delid-Die-Guard-For-LGA115X-Series-CPU/1389904_32621328449.html

:):):):):) 

I am jsut wondering if it will really be safe to use it.

11 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

Oh ok if you can get a third party one that works then, the delid guard is to help protect the bare die so it shouldn't so harm.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Oh ok if you can get a third party one that works then, the delid guard is to help protect the bare die so it shouldn't so harm.

The thing is that i havent found any third party, only this one. Thats why i am trying to see if more people can tell me if it will work with other boards since it just replaces the retention holding mechanism.

Just now, bughtoo said:

The thing is that i havent found any third party, only this one. Thats why i am trying to see if more people can tell me if it will work with other boards since it just replaces the retention holding mechanism.

Yeah it has to replace it since it doesn't have the extra height of the IHS, but the retention system is a standard size so I don't see why it wouldn't be interchangeable between motherboards. The only thing is it might require some rubber washers depending on how it mounts since there are differences in PCB thickness for different motherboards. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yeah it has to replace it since it doesn't have the extra height of the IHS, but the retention system is a standard size so I don't see why it wouldn't be interchangeable between motherboards. The only thing is it might require some rubber washers depending on how it mounts since there are differences in PCB thickness for different motherboards. 

thats right, but most of the retention mechanism are held in place with screws, these screws should be adequate to the PCB thickness no? So it shouldnt be a problem or?

6 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

Oh taking a look at it, it reuses the same torx screws for the retention bracket and backplate on the motherboard so it shouldn't give you any issues at all.

3/4 page down: 

26 minutes ago, W-L said:

3/4 page down: 

Thanks man! That helped really a lot :) already ordered it just in case, thanks for all your help and expecially your time :)