Best Usb Microphone

I'm in the market for a new microphone for streaming and video commentaries/voiceovers

I have my eyes on the infamous blue snowball, but I'm also look at some other ones, and I need an opinion

The Blue Yeti, RODE NT-USB, Audio-Technica AT2020 USB PLUS and the Razer Seiren

I would only get these microphones if I could find a good deal on them, as they are all around the same price. Something like sub $125

Anyone, is there anything I need to know in case one of these go on sale? Are they all relatively good and will last

Also, when I'm streaming, the Mic will be on my desk, about 9 inches (23 cm) away from my mouth.

So, yeah, any opinions?

I've had the blue yeti for over 8 months and the sound quality is amazing. It picks up a lot of background noise but thankfully you can turn the gain down manually with a dial on the back.

"Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." John F. Kennedy

"Daddy is going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." Linus Sebastian

"It's soft, but in a good way, kinda like typing on boobs." Luke Lafreniere

Blue Yeti is a go-to one for stereo audio.

I own the Audio Technica ATR2500 USB and it's decent for sound quality, price, and convenience. You'll want to buy your own stand, however, if you plan on travelling or doing music. I would also say consider getting the SteelSeries RAW Prisms. They have a decent mic (higher quality than the yeti imo) that is omnidirectional.

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

1 hour ago, Davish said:

I'm in the market for a new microphone for streaming and video commentaries/voiceovers

I have my eyes on the infamous blue snowball, but I'm also look at some other ones, and I need an opinion

I would only get these microphones if I could find a good deal on them, as they are all around the same price. Something like sub $125

Anyone, is there anything I need to know in case one of these go on sale? Are they all relatively good and will last

Also, when I'm streaming, the Mic will be on my desk, about 9 inches (23 cm) away from my mouth.

So, yeah, any opinions?

NT USB, AT2020 or the Rode Podcaster. For what you want, get a podcaster because it's a dynamic microphone. They are superior if you have background noise and they are uni-directional. Also with this mic, you need a boom arm, if you don't want a boom arm, get an nt usb. Comes with a pop filter, a looooooooooooong usb cable and a solid base

2 hours ago, Davish said:

So, yeah, any opinions?

Most of those are cardiod condenser mics. They will pick up every little sound imaginable. I have the at2020 and if I dont use isolation filter with it, it picks up everything on the backside too. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

When it come to microphones it really comes down to two things; the type of mic you need, and the company you're getting it from.

There are generally 4 types of microphones:

Condenser mics 

Which are the most sensitive of mic types, as well as the highest the mic type that gives the highest quality sound generally.

In order for them to be as sensitive as they are, they need to be powered with phantom power; which you would need a go between from your computer to your mic in order for them to work.

In addition, because they are as sensitive as they are it's almost always a good idea to get a pop filter and/or a fuzz cover for your microphone

It should also be noted that they are very delicate, and pretty much need to be mounted in order for it not to affect the quality of recording, while other mics can usually get away with just holding if you really need to

Dynamic mics

Which are less sensitive than condenser mics, but also leagues more sturdy and generally more forgiving than condensers.

Dynamics are pretty much as close as you can get to an all in one mic, pretty all you need is a chord that you can use to plug it into your computer, and maybe a pop filter and/or fuzz cover if it seems to be an issue (though it may very likely not)

Shotgun mics

Which are roughly around the same sensitivity as Dynamic mics, but only record directly in front of it.

The only big difference between a shotgun mic and a dynamic in my experience is in how they record, as before mentioned, though they do seem a little more like to need a pop filter and/or fuzz cover

Ribbon mics

which are the least sensitive, and are generally once used for specific uses, just as certain instrument record, or a really retro radio sounding recording. 

The way ribbon mics are made there is a thin metal ribbon sitting between a U shaped magnet inside the mic that records your sound, so understandably it is just as delicate, if not more so than, as condenser mics.

(btw, you should pretty much never really need one of these)

USB mics are not really a type of microphone so much as a distinction as to the fact that it can be straight plugged into your computer with a USB cable instead of using a standard XLR cable that is normal for mics, though XLR does provide better quality sound

USB mics will usually be  condenser; though with a simple usb adapter, or chord change you should be able to use all but condenser mics without any special equipment, and may even get quality sound if you do so because of the cable type and how the mics don't have to allow for special changes so it will work with usb

Personally, I would buy a dynamic microphone with an XLR to USB cable starting out as it would likely be the cheapest, and required the least extra equipment to start using.

I myself did this with a $10 chord, and a $40 Stagg dynamic mic that I just had sitting next to me on a stand I made out of an old coat hanger; and it worked wonderfully!

company wise, it's truly just preference, and reputability. If the computer gets good reviews on the shopping site you're using, and they make good equipment, then by all means buy a mic from them!

blue yeti

simple

friend of mine works as a youtuber, got the yeti, 

he has never used another mic since

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

17 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

blue yeti

simple

friend of mine works as a youtuber, got the yeti, 

he has never used another mic since

I have heard all of the best USB microphones. This is a budget microphone and isn't the best one that I've heard.

I'm not a fan of the blue yeti's size and desk stand will pick up desk noise. I use the Audio-Technica AT2005USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone. It is dynamic and can be used with usb or xlr, I bought a foam thingey to go over it for  pop filtering. The only thing is you have to speak a lot more closely, I use a mic arm to get it near my face.

edit:nvm if you can't get closer than 9inches I'm not sure about a dynamic mic unless you go with a shotgun

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |