Building new PC wait on Zen or grab a 6700k if there's a decent sale?

Scase

As the title implies, I'm in the process of building a new PC and debating if I should grab a 6700k  or wait on Zen and see how that pans out. IIRC Zen is looking to be released in 2017, depending on if that's early 2017 I can wait after Q2 tho I don't think it's worth my time. 

Keep in mind I'm waiting on the new polaris cards before buying a new VGA so maybe take that in to account with waiting time frame.

Thanks friends!

i7 - 6700k || Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti || Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB 3200Mhz || Corsair 760T White || Corsair HX850 || NZXT Kraken X62 || Asus Z170-A || Logitech Proteus Core 502 wireless || Logitech G915 TKL ||

4 minutes ago, Scase said:

As the title implies, I'm in the process of building a new PC and debating if I should grab a 6700k  or wait on Zen and see how that pans out. IIRC Zen is looking to be released in 2017, depending on if that's early 2017 I can wait after Q2 tho I don't think it's worth my time. 

Keep in mind I'm waiting on the new polaris cards before buying a new VGA so maybe take that in to account with waiting time frame.

Thanks friends!

Depends on how soon you need your new PC. I don't know if the early releases of Zen will be on the i7 level, maybe later releases. I'd go ahead and go for it if you need it sooner than later, if you believe that you can wait, then you can wait.

Do you LIKE amd? if so, wait, if not, don't.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Cooling: N/A  Motherboard: N/A  Ram: 32GB

HDD: 4TB RAID 1 Array (two 4TB)  PSU: N/A Case: N/A OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Something Something Logitech

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016 Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M40X Speakers: ??? Monitor: 2 x HP 22cwa  Phone: OnePlus 3T (T-Mobile Network)

1 minute ago, dobo2001 said:

Depends on how soon you need your new PC. I don't know if the early releases of Zen will be on the i7 level, maybe later releases. I'd go ahead and go for it if you need it sooner than later, if you believe that you can wait, then you can wait.

I'm not in a huge rush really, I would like to upgrade as the system is starting to show it's age a bit.

Just now, Divide_By_0 said:

Do you LIKE amd? if so, wait, if not, don't.

I do but, sadly their last few offerings were not overly impressive.

i7 - 6700k || Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti || Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB 3200Mhz || Corsair 760T White || Corsair HX850 || NZXT Kraken X62 || Asus Z170-A || Logitech Proteus Core 502 wireless || Logitech G915 TKL ||

What is the PC for? I'd say just get the 6700K now and be done with it. Zen will most likely be in a 5% of current gen Intel chips.

Just now, elago said:

What is the PC for? I'd say just get the 6700K now and be done with it. Zen will most likely be in a 5% of current gen Intel chips.

Almost strictly gaming.

Just now, Scase said:

Almost strictly gaming.

I'm not gonna say just get a 6600K because it's your money and your decision, but I recommend getting the I7 now.

I.d kill to have your curent cpu.

Anyway go for the 6700k

3 minutes ago, elago said:

I'm not gonna say just get a 6600K because it's your money and your decision, but I recommend getting the I7 now.

I was toying with the idea of the 6600k but, was unsure as I don't plan on replacing the new CPU for at least a couple years and figured the 6700k would future proof decently.

Thoughts?

Double post.

Edited by Scase
Double post.

3 minutes ago, Scase said:

I was toying with the idea of the 6600k but, was unsure as I don't plan on replacing the new CPU for at least a couple years and figured the 6700k would future proof decently.

Thoughts?

I think it Will Be a beast în the next 3 to maybe 4 years and the other 4 years of decent perfornance

Anyway do what You think is best

Just now, Scase said:

Thoughts?

Seeing now Intel's been doing things an I5 would last you quite a long time, although the I7 would last a couple years more than the I5. What we don't know is if Intel will get their shit together once AMD becomes competitive again and starts improving genereation to generation (which doesn't seem likely since they are focusing on power efficency and iGPU performance). 

If you want your PC to last a long take the I7, it will be plenty powerfull; if you don't want to spend all that money, the I5 is a solid choice and should serve you well. If in the end you decide to wait to see what Zen's about, you might even find Kaby Lake to be a decent option depending on what they do.

8 minutes ago, elago said:

Seeing now Intel's been doing things an I5 would last you quite a long time, although the I7 would last a couple years more than the I5. What we don't know is if Intel will get their shit together once AMD becomes competitive again and starts improving genereation to generation (which doesn't seem likely since they are focusing on power efficency and iGPU performance). 

If you want your PC to last a long take the I7, it will be plenty powerfull; if you don't want to spend all that money, the I5 is a solid choice and should serve you well. If in the end you decide to wait to see what Zen's about, you might even find Kaby Lake to be a decent option depending on what they do.

I'm warming up to the idea of the 6600k and OCing it to 4.5ghz which seems to be rather doable.

Just now, Scase said:

I'm warming up to the idea of the 6600k and OCing it to 4.5ghz which seems to be rather doable.

Yeah, it should hit that easily, even 4.7 if you are lucky. What GPU are you going to pair with it?

Just now, elago said:

Yeah, it should hit that easily, even 4.7 if you are lucky. What GPU are you going to pair with it?

I'm going to wait and see how the high end polaris cards come out to make a decision but likely flagship enthusiast lvl card 1080/amd equivalent. Which leads me to my other concern of CPU bottleneck.

3 minutes ago, Scase said:

I'm going to wait and see how the high end polaris cards come out to make a decision but likely flagship enthusiast lvl card 1080/amd equivalent. Which leads me to my other concern of CPU bottleneck.

The 6600K does bottleneck the GTX 1080 a bit, but if it delivers the performance you need, it doesn't matter if you lose 10 fps. Besides at anything higher of 1080p bottlenecks won't be a problem.

5 minutes ago, elago said:

The 6600K does bottleneck the GTX 1080 a bit, but if it delivers the performance you need, it doesn't matter if you lose 10 fps. Besides at anything higher of 1080p bottlenecks won't be a problem.

Hmm if that's the case I might as well grab a 1070 instead since the 1080 is about 10-15% faster and if I can't utilize that w/o grabbing a 6700k I can save myself a couple hundred extra on the VGA.

1 minute ago, Scase said:

Hmm if that's the case I might as well grab a 1070 instead since the 1080 is about 10-15% faster and if I can't utilize that w/o grabbing a 6700k I can save myself a couple hundred extra on the VGA.

Are you playing at 1080p? If so, the 1070 will destroy every game at max settings.

Just now, elago said:

Are you playing at 1080p? If so, the 1070 will destroy every game at max settings.

Most likely what I'll be gaming at yeah, debating on bumping up to 1440p but unlikely.

I think you may have saved me about 300$ my good sir, thank you very much!

37 minutes ago, Scase said:

Most likely what I'll be gaming at yeah, debating on bumping up to 1440p but unlikely.

I think you may have saved me about 300$ my good sir, thank you very much!

You're welcome, it's always a pleasure.

Btw, the 1070 also rocks at 1070, so you're golden some quite some time.