Replacing the Motherboard

So i just bought a new Motherboard from Asus ( Z170-A) and now im not certain if my Windows and my data will be still up and saved after i replaced the Motherboard.

I think there are two different ways of doing this. I think you can either uninstall all drivers or you can fresh intsall your windows. 

I would love to know which option is the best and how it will be done. The last question is : i bought an Windows 10 license and i dont want to rebuy windows 10 after the upgrade.

Hopefully someone can help here :) Thanks 

(dont mind my english im from germany)

Honestly, the best way is to install fresh to avoid the chance of any issues. You should be able to re-use the windows 10 key if it was a windows 10 key initially. You may have to go through the automated phone system to get a key to enter in. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Is there an extra option in the BIOS for the fresh install ?

Backup your data on your drive and do a fresh install, and reuse your windows 10 key.

Or, use the old drive, go into settings and select reset this pc, it will remove all drivers while leaving your personal files

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

Thanks you. So if i first reset the PC i dont have to make backups and dont have to fresh install my windows ? Will my data get always lost while doing an fresh install ?

8 minutes ago, tillerkiller said:

Is there an extra option in the BIOS for the fresh install ?

You don't need the bios. Just use the CD/USB to install windows again.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I first installed Windows with a boot stick. I had the free Windows version on it. Then i bought Windows 10 online with the key.

It highly depends on what kind of windows key you boaght.

If you boagt an OEM key, then you technically cannot re-use your key after the motherboard swap.

And your windows activation will be de-activated.

This is because Windows activation system is tide to the system id, aka motherboard id no.

Sometimes you could get your oem key re-activated using the phone method, and tell the employee that your motherboard died.

However they basicly dont have to help you re-activating it.

Because its simply one of the limmitation of a OEM license.

If you boaght a retail license key, then there is no problem atall.

Retail keys are transferable to new computers, but only work on one system at a time.

So if you upgrade your motherboard, a retail key can be re-activated without any problem.

Thats why retail keys are more expensive then oem.

As far as re-installation of the system goes.

This basicly highly depends on what you upgrde from.

If you just upgrade the motherboard on the same platform and / or same manufacturer.

Then re-installing is most of the time not needed.

But if you upgrade from a diffrent platform eg AM3+ to Skylake, then re-install is highly recommended.

First of all thank you for that complex anwser. I bought Windows 10 from the official microsoft webside. It bought it for around 90 Euro. it came with an license key which i still have. Is there a way to find out if i have an retail or OEM version ?

Im only replacing the Motherboard. Both of the Motherboards have the same sockel.

(So.1151)

So when i go to settings and just reset the PC to uninstall all drivers,  i dont have to worry about my Data and i dont have to make an fresh install right ?

14 minutes ago, tillerkiller said:

First of all thank you for that complex anwser. I bought Windows 10 from the official microsoft webside. It bought it for around 90 Euro. it came with an license key which i still have. Is there a way to find out if i have an retail or OEM version ?

Im only replacing the Motherboard. Both of the Motherboards have the same sockel.

(So.1151)

So when i go to settings and just reset the PC to uninstall all drivers,  i dont have to worry about my Data and i dont have to make an fresh install right ?

Well if you upgrade on the same platform, (socket), then uninstalling the drivers and software that are according to your current motherboard, and you should be good to go.

Atleast if your current board is from a diffrent fendor.

If your previous board is Asus aswell, then most of times you dont even have to re-install the drivers.

As far as license checking.

Wenn you go to system info you should be able to see your activation status, and if its oem or retail.