Help choosing Intel CPU

Go to solution Solved by Herman Mcpootis,

For just gaming alone, the 6700k will do better. If you're doing heavy rendering/video editing/streaming/recording the 5820k will be better. Personally though, i'd get the 5820k, its an enthusiast platform and you can upgrade it to a future 10 core if you somehow needed it(and because i'm a sucker for features :P)

I have no idea how to compare processors. I am looking at either i7-5820K or I7-6700K. Are they even comparable?

(First post and I'm already triggered)

Boi you know I'm too lazy and uneducated to even  know where to start.

For just gaming alone, the 6700k will do better. If you're doing heavy rendering/video editing/streaming/recording the 5820k will be better. Personally though, i'd get the 5820k, its an enthusiast platform and you can upgrade it to a future 10 core if you somehow needed it(and because i'm a sucker for features :P)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Yeah they are comparable, this is what there is to say about:

i7 6700K has better single core performance, i7 5820K has more core and threads.

i7 6700K can go in any Skylake (LGA 1151) motherboard, most optimal would be Z170 so you can overclock. i7 5820K can only go in Haswell-E/X99 motherboard (I think that is LGA 2011-3) and can be overclocked in that.

Usually people just say "if you only game, go for the 6700K. If you do content creation and will use the extra cores, go for the i7 5820K", but I think that is looking at it a bit too one sided.

They don't take into account that the Skylake platform probably wont get more CPU's in it and they don't talk about how the X99 has 5  better CPU's in it you can upgrade to. But, the X99 platform is more expensive (the motherboard, compared to Z170 ones) so that makes the 5820K more expensive too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/