wired pc conection

jesse13524

So I can get a telephone wire through from my router to my room, if i just change the end in my room to a ethernet will it transfer internet.

Please ensure you are posting in the proper sub-forum when creating threads.

Thread moved to Networking.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No, your router should have network jacks in the back, besides the jacks for telephone.  The telephone cable has only two or four thinner wires, which are not compatible with ethernet cable.

First check your router to see if there are ethernet jacks and if so , you may be able to buy ready made cable (with jacks already installed on both ends)

If that telephone wire is cat 5e, then that will suite the bandwith of a pc. The guage of a telephone wire is not enough to supply a fast enough data stream.

28 minutes ago, mariushm said:

No, your router should have network jacks in the back, besides the jacks for telephone.  The telephone cable has only two or four thinner wires, which are not compatible with ethernet cable.

First check your router to see if there are ethernet jacks and if so , you may be able to buy ready made cable (with jacks already installed on both ends)

there is Ethernet and telephone ports on the router but i cant move the router because the cables are underground and i get 3/5 bars of internet on my computer in my room. i cant just have a long wire going to my room becuase that would involve a busy staircase.

Okay hello alittle heads up.

An Ethernet cable called RJ45 contains 8 Twisted Pair wires, 4 of them we use for Voltage transmission GND and RX and TX.

A telephone cable also called as DSL or at your filter at home ADSL connector is an RJ11. Same twisted pair but this time 4 TWs.

To transfer a Router from a HOT SPOT in your house the same cabling aka the same RJ45 cabling that goes around your house has to be in contact with another HOT SPOT in your room.

Contact a Technician to do it, to open this said hotspot or rather interface to allow Internet Flow via the main Switch (Thats not in your house).

Therefore allowing you access to the internet via the ports in your room.

A typical HOME router has 4 RJ45 connectors aka "Ethernet" connections and 1 DSL aka RJ11 aka your phone connector.

Make sure both of them are plugged in so Data transfer will work.

TX is Transfer Data

and RX is Recieve Data if you are confused.

Let me know if you need more help.

P.S. If you are cabling your router with a long cable you will lose data transfer obviously.

It depends on how the cable is, how long it is, and whats in the way (cuz of electromagnetic interferences).

Cabling above 3meter will cause it to go down in performance. remember you are doing a LAN or a WAN topology on this?

Also speedtest.net and Contact a technician or an ISP.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

while i really appreciate the time you took out of this, how is this going to help him?

i guess your router is somewhere and your wifi is shit, op. there are very thin ethernet cables on amazon etc, plug into both sides and be happy. no losing of data transfer over a staircase lols. otherwise you can look into powerlan solutions, they splice the internet into your houses power outlets where you can also grab it then.