Upgrade from i5-4460

Go to solution Solved by SLAYR,

Look for an used i7 4790, or 4790k

Going from a haswell i5, to a skylake i5 isn't too big of a jump to be worth the money,

I want to upgrade from i5-4460 and I'm thinking about i5-6600k. Or maybe I should wait for kaby lake? I'm open to any other suggestions.

Going from a haswell i5, to a skylake i5 isn't too big of a jump to be worth the money,

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Kaby Lake is based on the same arcitecture as Skylake, so it wont have a huge performance increase.
But sometime the next months AMD will come with new high end CPUs, witch hopefully will make Intel drop their prices.
I would wait, but i dont know if it will be worth it.

3 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

If you want to upgrade to Skylake or Kabylake arc. you will need a new Mainboard and DDR4 witch will cost a bit. So getting an i7 fitting your board is a quite good idea.

There honestly isn't anything worht upgrading to right now. A 4460 is still perfectly fine for gaming today. Only thing I would even consider upgrading to would be an i7 which is a bit overkill if you're only gaming. But going to a 6600k isn't worth it. You'd be spending $300+ just to get 10% more performance overall.

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

2 minutes ago, Tom.JK said:

If you want to upgrade to Skylake or Kabylake arc. you will need a new Mainboard and DDR4 witch will cost a bit. So getting an i7 fitting your board is a quite good idea.

Yeah I was looking all day on motherboards and ram, and yeah I'd have to spend a lot of money. I would try find i7-4790k. Thanks you all for help :)