sad face

Yttrizy

so i got my pc parts today, i built my computer. I just finished building it, and when i power it on, everything spins, and shines, but there is no display coming out. i dont know how to feel, i've read that it might be dead motherboard, or dead chip. i am using old vga monitor, i want to blame it, but it runs perfectly on my laptop. time to buy a new one or what do i do?

'?

CPU : i5-6600K @4.4ghz | GPU : MSI GTX 1060 | Mobo: Asus Z170-A Pro | Cooler: Kraken x41 | PSU: SSm12-520w | Keyboard :Corsair Strafe RGB /w Cherry mx Red | Mice:Steelseries rival 300 | 

there are no windows installed vbtw.

CPU : i5-6600K @4.4ghz | GPU : MSI GTX 1060 | Mobo: Asus Z170-A Pro | Cooler: Kraken x41 | PSU: SSm12-520w | Keyboard :Corsair Strafe RGB /w Cherry mx Red | Mice:Steelseries rival 300 | 

specs?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

specs?

Gtx 1060, 6600k, asus z170-a, kraken x41, seasonic m12-520w, ddr4 2133 hyperx savage

1 minute ago, Yttrizy said:

Gtx 1060, 6600k, asus z170-a, kraken x41, seasonic m12-520w, ddr4 2133 hyperx savage

Is the monitor plugged to onboard graphics or the GPU?

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Is the monitor plugged to onboard graphics or the GPU?

onboard

start by checking ALL the cables, then try re seating you CPU in the socket, try one RAM stick and in different slots and if that motherboard has more then one PCI-e 16x slot try putting your GPU in the other one, then report back the results :) hope you can get it running fast :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

start by checking ALL the cables, then try re seating you CPU in the socket, try one RAM stick and in different slots and if that motherboard has more then one PCI-e 16x slot try putting your GPU in the other one, then report back the results :) hope you can get it running fast :D 

can the tightness of a cooler effect the boot?

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

That is a good list of checks. Also, try with no GPU at all.

4 minutes ago, Yttrizy said:

Only if overtightened too much to crack the board (it's not that easy to do, though).

well it needs to be on there so its making contact but it shouldent be crushing the CPU but with that said you can tighten it quite a bit untill you have problems with it crushing your die lol

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well it needs to be on there so its making contact but it shouldent be crushing the CPU but with that said you can tighten it quite a bit untill you have problems with it crushing your die lol

should i reapply thermal compound? i dont have any atm

should i reapply thermal compound? i dont have any atm

if you have some then sure, otherwise its probably fine, also check if there is any in the socket on the pins, that could be a problem

Builds:

Spoiler

Ahem...

1. What are your specs? Please specify the exact GPU model.
  2. Are your cables plugged in correctly? If you have a dedicated GPU, the cable should go in there, not to the motherboard.
  3. are you using a DVI-D connector? If yes, that's your problem. VGA is an analog signal, so it can't go over a digital signal.

9 minutes ago, Yttrizy said:

onboard

That's your problem right there...

1 minute ago, JelleDekkers said:

Ahem...

1. What are your specs? Please specify the exact GPU model.
  2. Are your cables plugged in correctly? If you have a dedicated GPU, the cable should go in there, not to the motherboard.
  3. are you using a DVI-D connector? If yes, that's your problem. VGA is an analog signal, so it can't go over a digital signal.

MSI
Yes
No, because i have old shitty ass monitor, with 6 year old vga, which is working on my laptop but not showing up on the monitor.

Just now, Yttrizy said:

MSI
Yes
No, because i have old shitty ass monitor, with 6 year old vga, which is working on my laptop but not showing up on the monitor.

2 minutes ago, JelleDekkers said:

That's your problem right there...

so if i get normal monitor it should be fine? With hdmi to gpu

REMOVING GPU WORKS
 IT POSTS THANK YOU BANANAN LORD OMFG I NEED TO GET HDMI THEN TO CONNECT TO GPU THANKS MATE I OWE U A BLOWJOB

19 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

if you have some then sure, otherwise its probably fine, also check if there is any in the socket on the pins, that could be a problem

6 minutes ago, Yttrizy said:

REMOVING GPU WORKS
 IT POSTS THANK YOU BANANAN LORD OMFG I NEED TO GET HDMI THEN TO CONNECT TO GPU THANKS MATE I OWE U A BLOWJOB

oh my god dude i cant thank you enough.

12 minutes ago, Yttrizy said:

REMOVING GPU WORKS

hey np, always glad to help :D 

Builds:

Spoiler

still getting new monitor, so i can plug in my gpu