Issues Installing Microsoft SQL Server on Windows Server

We have recently got a server that has Windows server 2012 r2 essentials and we need to install Microsoft SQL Server 2012 standard on it, but have been running into some issues. Recently I looked and saw that Windows server 2012 r2 essentials has to be the domain controller and SQL server says it cannot be on the domain controller. Is there anyone that has been able to install it and it run fine?

I did see someone on a Spiceworks forum where someone said that you couldn't, but I am hoping they are wrong.

i tried asking Microsoft about it but they wanted $500 for a yes or no question.

Sorry if this has been answered some where else on here, the searching kept failing.

SLQ is a B*tch to get running, what i have done in the past is to try and advoid it, and i work as a IT Administrator!

my advice see if you can do what you need to do without it, trust me it's not realy worth it the extra crap it can do, windows server 2012 r2 can do but takes longer and is harder to get working,

also try and keep away from that stuff i have found it's not useful and takes longer to setup when the server could be doing what it had to do in the first place

plus you have essentials, it's already has the extra stuff SLQ offers, it's just harder to get to, but once you find it, it just works better than SLQ,

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

21 hours ago, jfenwick14 said:

We have recently got a server that has Windows server 2012 r2 essentials and we need to install Microsoft SQL Server 2012 standard on it, but have been running into some issues. Recently I looked and saw that Windows server 2012 r2 essentials has to be the domain controller and SQL server says it cannot be on the domain controller. Is there anyone that has been able to install it and it run fine?

I did see someone on a Spiceworks forum where someone said that you couldn't, but I am hoping they are wrong.

i tried asking Microsoft about it but they wanted $500 for a yes or no question.

Sorry if this has been answered some where else on here, the searching kept failing.

Is that your only server?

Do you have an existing Domain Controller (DC)/Active Directory network?

You're not supposed to run SQL on a DC (You're not really supposed to run anything on a DC but DC and maybe DNS/DHCP and a few other things).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Is that your only server?

Do you have an existing Domain Controller (DC)/Active Directory network?

You're not supposed to run SQL on a DC (You're not really supposed to run anything on a DC but DC and maybe DNS/DHCP and a few other things).

yes it is the only server and they wouldn't be using it for the DC. When we picked it we did not know that essentials had to be a DC, and it was not something that Lenovo told us about when we bought it. I even asked if there would be issue with running SQL on it and they said no, but that's not here nor there.

They are using a pc that has windows 7 and it is someones daily computer to run their server software, which is why they are making the move to a server. Their will only be maybe 9 people actively on the network it so i didn't see a reason to add something like a DC. if i would have know about it having to be a DC then i would have gotten the standard version. 

By your last statement it does not seem like it will work with what we need.

i am hoping Lenovo will work with us to get an upgrade for it. we are hoping not to have to buy another full copy of windows server.

Since MSSQL is unlikely to be able to be used due to essentials is MYSQL a possible option? That should install just fine.

22 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

SLQ is a B*tch to get running, what i have done in the past is to try and advoid it, and i work as a IT Administrator!

my advice see if you can do what you need to do without it, trust me it's not realy worth it the extra crap it can do, windows server 2012 r2 can do but takes longer and is harder to get working,

also try and keep away from that stuff i have found it's not useful and takes longer to setup when the server could be doing what it had to do in the first place

plus you have essentials, it's already has the extra stuff SLQ offers, it's just harder to get to, but once you find it, it just works better than SLQ,

Yea i am seeing that, and unfortunately we have to run the windows server and Microsoft SQL due to the software the business runs on, so those are unavoidable. The software is the only reason we are putting sql on there. 

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Since MSSQL is unlikely to be able to be used due to essentials is MYSQL a possible option? That should install just fine.

Unfortunately no, the company that created the software thought it would be a good idea to build it around MSSQL. If I had my way it would be on Linux and have MYSQL.

2 minutes ago, jfenwick14 said:

Unfortunately no, the company that created the software thought it would be a good idea to build it around MSSQL. If I had my way it would be on Linux and have MYSQL.

Looking at the SQL 2012 supported operating systems Essentials is supported, generally installer warnings can be ignored. If your really are unable to install it I would go back to Lenovo then and see if you can get the Windows license swapped for Foundation (if 1 CPU and less than 15 users) or Standard, it was their bad advice after all, I would aim for Standard.

I've never actually installed Essentials edition so can't really speak from any experience, I only use Standard and Datacenter editions.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-nz/library/ms143506(v=sql.110).aspx

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Looking at the SQL 2012 supported operating systems Essentials is supported, generally installer warnings can be ignored. If your really are unable to install it I would go back to Lenovo then and see if you can get the Windows license swapped for Foundation (if 1 CPU and less than 15 users) or Standard, it was their bad advice after all, I would aim for Standard.

I've never actually installed Essentials edition so can't really speak from any experience, I only use Standard and Datacenter editions.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-nz/library/ms143506(v=sql.110).aspx

Essentials is just extra stuff that makes it easier to Administrator a network, not realy worth it unless you need it

Standard is better, but you will have to install everything you need in server manger, then install SLQ, 

what i would do is install Standard on a computer (not a server) and see if you can SLQ to work at all...

21 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

Essentials is just extra stuff that makes it easier to Administrator a network, not realy worth it unless you need it

Standard is better, but you will have to install everything you need in server manger, then install SLQ, 

what i would do is install Standard on a computer (not a server) and see if you can SLQ to work at all...

SQL is actually extremely easy to install, there are some very good guide lines and best practices to follow especially if it's going to be a very heavily used server with thousands of clients but the installer is no harder than any other application install, next next next etc done.

Of course anything is easy if you know how to do it, I've done hundreds of SQL installs including multi node clusters with multiple instances down to the smallest SQL Express installs. If it's something your not used to doing or have never done before then yea it is hard and confusing and a lot of things are hotly debated with different people recommended different ways to do the same thing.

P.S. It's SQL not SLQ.

@leadeater i know, i call it that to annoy my boss and co-workers, F*cking hilarious!!!!

every time......

xD