Getting PC components over time vs one time buy

KappaKing

So right now I've got this http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2V9ZGX with my CPU running at 4.4ghz. Now, I'm not entirely sure what I should do, because I'm going off to college next year and I want to get a new PC before I go off and am broke. I'm looking at a GTX 1080, and the system I'm planning on building could be mine by december. However, I could just get the GTX 1080 now, put it in my current rig and then when I get the new PC take it out, and put it into the new one... But then if they come out with a 1080ti or Vega blows out the 1080, I'm left sad and crying. Which would you recommend?

Simple, if u are worried then u just wait. Its better to buy things over time so u can find the best deals in that timeframe. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

It depends how you look at it. If you wait then you could potentially get something better or get the 1080 for cheaper, but then again that card is only getting cheaper because a new top tier card is about to replace it. IMO buy the best you can all at once, preferably around discount periods.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

one could argue buying over time  is the lesser desired route because you get  this part, then that part and the plan dfor this  build got changed because well something newer cooler and  cheaper had shown up. I did the buy over time thing wound up costing me  more in the long run because i just had to change things as the ideas changed ,  you also might have those parts sit on your shelf  untested and  then  by the time you get them all  put it together then discover a problem  something was dead on arrival and you waited too long for the return and have to deal with manufacture RMA, and  all that hassle. I guess if it were me  now, buy all at once. but Isee both sides of this debate  so, I understand either way.

if your goin to college you might want to Not get an expensive Video card and save the cash for the ramen noodles.  I heard the GTX1060 outperforms the GTX780 (no personal experience so  as others before confirming this) why not just replace the card with something like that.?

You do realize that a 1080 costs the same or more as a budget rig... ditch that idea and just keep the card you have now, or something like a 470/480

3 hours ago, SkepticKrab said:

So.....you say you're broke....and you're looking for a 1080.....ok

Am I missing something here?

Yes, he said "before im broke" which means he is not broke yet but when he buys the PC he will be due to how expensive his PC will be.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

10 hours ago, Thony said:

Yes, he said "before im broke" which means he is not broke yet but when he buys the PC he will be due to how expensive his PC will be.

In his statement he said "before I go off and am broke" so I thought he meant he needs the system before college + he is currently broke.

Punctuation and the English language is a minefield.

If i find a great deal on something i've wanted and its the only thing on sale sure, But if your buying a 1080 just for it to sit on a shelf for a year, Dont.