Inaccurate temp readings or bad water block?

I just rebuilt my water cooling loop and decided to give it some good ol' Prime95 to make sure everything is working correctly. Except... I'm having some issues.

I'm monitoring/logging my CPU temps with ASUS's AI Suite and, while I'm typing this out, I'm seeing a steady 68-70 C while Prime95 is crunching away (system is surprisingly useable while at 100% load). I also have NXZT's CAM software open and it's giving me a current temp of 54.6 C. I  saw a thread on Tom's Hardware where someone mentioned that AMD doesn't put thermometers in their CPUs anymore, instead relying on some kind of formula to determine temps which can be anywhere from 5 to 20 C off. How can I find what my actual CPU temps are?

I'm also concerned that the high temps indicate a fault in the loop (low quality water block, clogged fins, insufficient pump or fan RPM...). I have the "low noise cables" that came with my fans installed, which I could take off, but I'd rather not make my system louder for edge cases.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.2 ghz

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO

XSPC Raystorm waterblock, XSPC 360mm radiator, 3x Thermaltake RIING high pressure fans, NZXT H440 case.

Edit: I popped the front and top case panels off and saw a drop from 70C to 64C over the past 4 or 5 minutes.

29 minutes ago, FakeGamerGuy said:

I just rebuilt my water cooling loop and decided to give it some good ol' Prime95 to make sure everything is working correctly. Except... I'm having some issues.

I'm monitoring/logging my CPU temps with ASUS's AI Suite and, while I'm typing this out, I'm seeing a steady 68-70 C while Prime95 is crunching away (system is surprisingly useable while at 100% load). I also have NXZT's CAM software open and it's giving me a current temp of 54.6 C. I  saw a thread on Tom's Hardware where someone mentioned that AMD doesn't put thermometers in their CPUs anymore, instead relying on some kind of formula to determine temps which can be anywhere from 5 to 20 C off. How can I find what my actual CPU temps are?

I'm also concerned that the high temps indicate a fault in the loop (low quality water block, clogged fins, insufficient pump or fan RPM...). I have the "low noise cables" that came with my fans installed, which I could take off, but I'd rather not make my system louder for edge cases.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.2 ghz

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO

XSPC Raystorm waterblock, XSPC 360mm radiator, 3x Thermaltake RIING high pressure fans, NZXT H440 case.

Edit: I popped the front and top case panels off and saw a drop from 70C to 64C over the past 4 or 5 minutes.

Use AMD overdrive, it monitors temps in thermal margin.

pump and fan speeds?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

37 minutes ago, Jstone said:

try flushing it

I just rebuilt the loop 2 days ago; all fresh liquid.

33 minutes ago, LeStringMan said:

I'll give that a try when I get home.

11 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

pump and fan speeds?

I have 3 Riing fans on the front intake, 3 Riing fans exhausting through the top (pushing through the radiator), and a 140mm Riing exhausting out the back. They all have the low-noise cables attached. They're all connected to the fan hub on the back of the case so I can't monitor the fan speed. The pump is a Swiftech MCP50X that I keep around 25% for noise reasons. The "fan" reports around 4200 RPM but I think it always falls within a few hundred RPM of that.

Just now, FakeGamerGuy said:

I just rebuilt the loop 2 days ago; all fresh liquid.

I'll give that a try when I get home.

I have 3 Riing fans on the front intake, 3 Riing fans exhausting through the top (pushing through the radiator), and a 140mm Riing exhausting out the back. They all have the low-noise cables attached. They're all connected to the fan hub on the back of the case so I can't monitor the fan speed. The pump is a Swiftech MCP50X that I keep around 25% for noise reasons. The "fan" reports around 4200 RPM but I think it always falls within a few hundred RPM of that.

flush the radiator...

If the fans are spinning to slow and the pump it that low, the system prolly can't do its job. Mine does the same when I have everything low. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

38 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

If the fans are spinning to slow and the pump it that low, the system prolly can't do its job. Mine does the same when I have everything low. 

I'll take the low-noise cables off the radiator fans and turn the pump speed up a little when I get home tomorrow. I should also monitor the temps while doing reasonable things like playing DOOM, No Man's Sky, or rendering video.

23 hours ago, LeStringMan said:

Right now, running Prime95 I'm seeing ~20C of thermal margin and 50C overall with CAM. 20+50=70, which I believe is the thermal limit for the FX-8350, so I'll go with CAM if I need a quick temp reading. Simultaneously, I'm seeing 64C from ASUS AI Suite. I'm wondering if it's measuring socket temp instead.

Capture.PNG

I removed the resistors from the fan cables (for the radiator fans, not the case fans) and turned the pump speed up a little. Seems better but the fans are noticeably louder.

What I did notice after some meditation is that the flow is backwards going into the water block. I really don't want to drain the whole loop again and bend some new tubes but I might not have a choice. :|

3 hours ago, FakeGamerGuy said:

I removed the resistors from the fan cables (for the radiator fans, not the case fans) and turned the pump speed up a little. Seems better but the fans are noticeably louder.

What I did notice after some meditation is that the flow is backwards going into the water block. I really don't want to drain the whole loop again and bend some new tubes but I might not have a choice. :|

Might be easier to swap them around at the pump, don't know your whole setup though.

42 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Might be easier to swap them around at the pump, don't know your whole setup though.

Hardlines ;) Luckily my XSPC Raystorm waterblock is symmetrical so I was able to drain the loop and turn the block upside down.