Noctua nigthmare

silvermert

I want to buy 3 120mm Noctua redux fans on amazon. but I'm EXTREMELY confused because there are 4 types of the 120 Redux line. what changes between them is a number at the end of the name, as one is 700, another one is 1200, there's another 1200 but PWM and a rounded 1500PWM. what confuses me more is that the 1200pwm is $24! for that price I could just get normal poop Noctua, I'm getting redux cause they should be cheap!

I obviously don't know what the numbers mean nor do I know what PWM means, I try lurking more but I didn't find any clear answers so, which one do I need? I just want one fan for the front, another for the back and another one for the top. in case necessary my case is a corsair 780t

sorry if the question is too stupid or the text too long and thanks in advance :)

1 minute ago, silvermert said:

I want to buy 3 120mm Noctua redux fans on amazon. but I'm EXTREMELY confused because there are 4 types of the 120 Redux line. what changes between them is a number at the end of the name, as one is 700, another one is 1200, there's another 1200 but PWM and a rounded 1500PWM. what confuses me more is that the 1200pwm is $24! for that price I could just get normal poop Noctua, I'm getting redux cause they should be cheap!

I obviously don't know what the numbers mean nor do I know what PWM means, I try lurking more but I didn't find any clear answers so, which one do I need? I just want one fan for the front, another for the back and another one for the top. in case necessary my case is a corsair 780t

sorry if the question is too stupid or the text too long and thanks in advance :)

700rpm, 1200rpm, 1500rpm is the speed at which they spin. Faster is noisier but moves more air, slower is quieter but doesn't blow as much.

PWM is Pulse Width Modulation, a fan control interface. Basically, it's the 4-pin fan connector that plugs into your motherboard (as opposed to 3-pin motherboard connectors)

1 minute ago, silvermert said:

PWM is pulse width modulation it's a different method of controlling the speed of the fans and gives a larger controllable range, in the low RPM end. If your looking for a pressure fan in 120mm sizes they one they have for the Redux isn't that good, you would be better off with something like the NF-F12's. 

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

700rpm, 1200rpm, 1500rpm is the speed at which they spin. Faster is noisier but moves more air, slower is quieter but doesn't blow as much.

PWM is Pulse Width Modulation, a fan control interface. Basically, it's the 4-pin fan connector that plugs into your motherboard (as opposed to 3-pin motherboard connectors)

aaaaah.. ha! that was simple!! :) I kid you not I saw a 4 mins YT vid explaining PWM in an extremely convoluted way, thanks man! you educate me gud tonight :D

I imagine most motherboards support 3-pin fans and some newer motherboards support 4-pin fans...

5 minutes ago, silvermert said:

aaaaah.. ha! that was simple!! :) I kid you not I saw a 4 mins YT vid explaining PWM in an extremely convoluted way, thanks man! you educate me gud tonight :D

I imagine most motherboards support 3-pin fans and some newer motherboards support 4-pin fans...

Your welcome!

PWM isn't really new, you'll find at least some PWM in most boards (CPU fan connectors are typically 4-pin, and the rest ranges from all 3-pin to all 4-pin depending on the board, with increasing popularity for PWM). My older 990 Sabertooth  has all 4-pin, my newer 970 Performance has 2 4-pin and the rest just 3 ^_^ You can plug 3-pin fans in 4-pin connectors, though (I haven't tried the opposite), they just won't get controlled by PWM but usual voltage regulation.