Sennheiser G4ME Zero headphones - Should I get a Sound card or DAC/Amp?

Hey all,

I've got a pair of Sennheiser GAME Zero headphones from my cousin recently and these babies happen to sound pretty good with my onboard audio. I had accidentally left the audio on my desktop at 100%, so once I started up CS:GO, it blew my head up... These babies are pretty loud.

However, I reduced the volume In-game and turned down the volume knob all the way down on the headphones and they still weren't quiet. I then told my cousin about it and he said to turn down the volume (desktop) to about 15% and see how the headphones are -- if I can't hear anything, I may need a sound card or DAC.

What I want to know is, do I actually need one? Only considering the mobo I have, which is an Asrock 1150 Z97 Extreme6 with Purity Sound 2. I do know that it's said that this mobo supports headphones up to "600 ohms" - now I know car audio, the higher the impendance, the more resistance there is and the more power you'll need to drive a pair of woofers in order to attain a certain wattage.   

These headphones have supposedly 50 ohm woofers. Do I still need a sound card? Is there more to it than just the power rating when it comes to headphones and PC's? This is something totally out of my league.

Again,

Sennheiser GAME Zero

Asrock 1150 Z97 Extreme 6 with Purity Sound 2 ( and no I don't remember if I have the latest audio drivers)

Sound Blaster Z or other? DAC? Or leave it alone?

Go!

Sorry, I don't understand your situation. Supposedly it was too loud, now it isn't loud enough, or... something. See my problem?

Could we get the abridged version? e.g. What problem are you having with your headset?

@SSLI'm sorry about that.  I tend to not be so concise.

Ok so, I have these headphones, but I'm not sure if I happen to need a sound card or at least an external DAC to drive them properly.  They happen to get loud with my onboard audio system (Purity sound 2 - Asrock Z97 extreme 6), but I do not know if this onboard system is properly driving my headphones with enough power.

Loud it was, but not sure if it was at it's best. 

1 minute ago, GTRetro87 said:

@SSLI'm sorry about that.  I tend to not be so concise.

Ok so, I have these headphones, but I'm not sure if I happen to need a sound card or at least an external DAC to drive them properly.  They happen to get loud with my onboard audio system (Purity sound 2 - Asrock Z97 extreme 6), but I do not know if this onboard system is properly driving my headphones with enough power.

Loud it was, but not sure if it was at it's best. 

If they are getting loud enough they are probably getting enough power.

Soundcards are better than onboard Sound. I use the Sennheiser Game One with the Asus Xonar DX.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

@Praesi Both of our MB's have similar onboard audio circuitry (Realtek ALC1150).

Have you compared the Game One's with both onboard and sound card?

Read and learn 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

53 minutes ago, GTRetro87 said:

@Praesi Both of our MB's have similar onboard audio circuitry (Realtek ALC1150).

Have you compared the Game One's with both onboard and sound card?

Yes with my current MB. Onboardsound is ok, but no match for the soundcard. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 hour ago, Praesi said:

Yes with my current MB. Onboardsound is ok, but no match for the soundcard. 

I don't see any evidence that the DX has anything other than line-out.