Did i just decrease the fan life on my 1070?

Vengeance_K1ng

SO today i bought a MSI 1070 Gaming x edition, and i set a fan curve and i realized when i got back after a few hours of updates and idling, my gpu fans were constantly turning on and off, did i damage them in any way?

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

Its not an issue , its a feature!

Seriously, look up 0db fan mode  

Just now, ScratchCat said:

Its not an issue , its a feature!

Seriously, look up 0db fan mode  

I know, but wont the constant on and off hurt the fan? seriously it was turning on and off every 2 seconds,

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

No, some fans actually use this on and off to control speed called pulse width modification PWM.

I think this on and off every 2 seconds or so has been found in a few partner 10 series cards and is nothing to worry about.

Ill just see if i can confirm this.

9 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

No, some fans actually use this on and off to control speed called pulse width modification PWM.

I think this on and off every 2 seconds or so has been found in a few partner 10 series cards and is nothing to worry about.

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, Vengeance_K1ng said:

I know, but wont the constant on and off hurt the fan? seriously it was turning on and off every 2 seconds,

Even though the question has been answered already I'll confirm that this won't damage the fans. Fans don't generally die unless you hit them hard enough to break the plastic.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Should prolly stick something in there to keep them from spinning or unplug them. They should last longer that way. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

11 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Should prolly stick something in there to keep them from spinning or unplug them. They should last longer that way. 

noooooooooo what are you thinking your motor will burn out completely its a feature and its meant to do that you never want to do that.

2 minutes ago, WCFreak said:

noooooooooo what are you thinking your motor will burn out completely its a feature and its meant to do that you never want to do that.

Motor won't burn out. If they did, that would also solve the problem. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

PWM is a method of modulating power digitally and is used where having variable characteristics (motor speed, light intensity, etc) is required.  For example, if you want to run a 12V motor off a 12V battery at 50% speed, you would switch the 12V source off and on (for an equal amount of time).  The higher the frequency of this switching, the smoother the operation is.  In practice, this means the frequency to which this works is tens to hundreds of times a second, not once every 2 seconds. 

The most likely reason this is happening is because he's putting just enough load into the card that it passes the threshold temperature for fan stop, cools itself back bellow said threshold and repeats this cycle.

OP - The fans will be fine.  My concern is that the card would be reaching the fan stop temperature threshold at idle.  I would return the card to the factory fan curve and let the computer idle for a bit.  If it's still doing this, take note of the GPU temp and post it here.

53 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Motor won't burn out. If they did, that would also solve the problem. 

If the fan motors burnt out, the card would die under load, stopping a fan from running by sticking something in it is never a good idea.

OP, it's fine 0db fan mode.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

25 minutes ago, JJBTEXAS said:

PWM is a method of modulating power digitally and is used where having variable characteristics (motor speed, light intensity, etc) is required.  For example, if you want to run a 12V motor off a 12V battery at 50% speed, you would switch the 12V source off and on (for an equal amount of time).  The higher the frequency of this switching, the smoother the operation is.  In practice, this means the frequency to which this works is tens to hundreds of times a second, not once every 2 seconds. 

The most likely reason this is happening is because he's putting just enough load into the card that it passes the threshold temperature for fan stop, cools itself back bellow said threshold and repeats this cycle.

OP - The fans will be fine.  My concern is that the card would be reaching the fan stop temperature threshold at idle.  I would return the card to the factory fan curve and let the computer idle for a bit.  If it's still doing this, take note of the GPU temp and post it here.

I like to run my fans at idle though, i am not happy with this 0 fan mode. i keep it at 20% and no more problems, is that ok to keep it at 20% at idle?

1 hour ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

If the fan motors burnt out, the card would die under load, stopping a fan from running by sticking something in it is never a good idea.

OP, it's fine 0db fan mode.

It would be a good death.

4 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

It would be a good death.

ಠ_ಠ

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

5 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

I don't agree with you here. PWM doesn't function that way. It sends pulses of 12V current to the fans, instead of supplying a constant stream of current to the fans. It uses pulses to control the fans as it allows the control to be more granular, but the fans should not be shutting on and off like that.

That being said, I might be wrong.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

16 hours ago, Vengeance_K1ng said:

I like to run my fans at idle though, i am not happy with this 0 fan mode. i keep it at 20% and no more problems, is that ok to keep it at 20% at idle?

20% at idle is completely fine.  Just to be clear, it ramps up past 20% under load correct?

18 hours ago, Sauron said:

Even though the question has been answered already I'll confirm that this won't damage the fans. Fans don't generally die unless you hit them hard enough to break the plastic.

Except mine where the fan blade axle thing separated and threw it off balance

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Except mine where the fan blade axle thing separated and threw it off balance

jeez, must have been some poor quality fan xD

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

jeez, must have been some poor quality fan xD

Came off my Trixx 290.. The clicking it made made me watercool it c: Now it can actually live through 1.46V :D

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats