i5 4690k still viable option?

Hello,

i am building a pc for my brother and i wanted to build a nice mini itx build for him.

Is intel i5 4690k a viable option for gaming that will last at least 4-5 years?

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

yes indeed it is a perfectly cromulent choice assuming he's going to be doing mostly typical gaming things which are largely single-threaded. single threaded performance mostly topped off a few years ago and has only seen incremental improvements since then. the most important part is the graphics card.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

If you aren't re-using an old mobo, you may as well go Skylake. It's not that much more, unless you can get a used 4690K. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

2 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

Hello,

i am building a pc for my brother and i wanted to build a nice mini itx build for him.

Is intel i5 4690k a viable option for gaming that will last at least 4-5 years?

Since there are still some questions about current skylake cpu's overclocking, yes, 4690k is good.

Yes, overclock it a little, newer cpu architectures are making minor improvements in comparison nowadays compared to 10 years ago whereas gpus are still havig large perfomance jumps, give it a mild overclock and it will be amazing.

2 minutes ago, Builder said:

yes indeed it is a perfectly cromulent choice assuming he's going to be doing mostly typical gaming things which are largely single-threaded. single threaded performance mostly topped off a few years ago and has only seen incremental improvements since then. the most important part is the graphics card.

Great, i wanted to OC it to 4.5GHZ so i guess more single-thread performance i wont get :) I already have bought GTX 970 g1 Gaming. 

I have 2 because i found a deal to buy it for 300$ both so that was too hot to pass out. So i want to sell one and make the build cheaper ;) 

Maybe i will change my mind totaly and buy mobo and make it SLI :) Dont know yet. 

3 minutes ago, EarthboundHero said:

If you aren't re-using an old mobo, you may as well go Skylake. It's not that much more, unless you can get a used 4690K. 

i will be using Asus VII Impact, which is 1 year old but idont think that is an old MOBO or? 

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

Great, i wanted to OC it to 4.5GHZ so i guess more single-thread performance i wont get :) I already have bought GTX 970 g1 Gaming. 

I have 2 because i found a deal to buy it for 300$ both so that was too hot to pass out. So i want to sell one and make the build cheaper ;) 

Maybe i will change my mind totaly and buy mobo and make it SLI :) Dont know yet. 

i will be using Asus VII Impact, which is 1 year old but idont think that is an old MOBO or? 

I mean using a board you already have. If you have to buy a mobo, you may as well go Skylake.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Should be fine.

yes overclocking it will increase the single threaded performance. the only thing that increases multi-threaded performance is, well, having more cores and thus more threads.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

If you are buying new, get skylake. Z170 is the way to go. DDR4, 1151 socket (which the upcoming Kaby Lake CPU's will also use), USB C and thunderbolt availability on some boards, 32 Gbps M.2 ports, lower power consumption, and the list goes on and on.... There are MANY reasons to get Skylake over Devils Canyon, in addition to the performance boost.

If you're not buying new, then that CPU will be just fine. I don't know about 4-5 years fine, but I guess that will depend on the gaming experience you intend on getting in 4-5 years.

Just now, EarthboundHero said:

I mean using a board you already have. If you have to buy a mobo, you may as well go Skylake.

Right now i only have GPUs but i am looking for already used components so i can get the most for my money, i dont mind if it is already used around 1 year. 

My total budget is around 900$ and i have spent 300 for the GPU, so i still have 600 for eveything else. 

My problem when buying components is that i want the best for the money, Therefore i want High end components for price of middle range :D 

46 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

Right now i only have GPUs but i am looking for already used components so i can get the most for my money, i dont mind if it is already used around 1 year. 

My total budget is around 900$ and i have spent 300 for the GPU, so i still have 600 for eveything else. 

My problem when buying components is that i want the best for the money, Therefore i want High end components for price of middle range :D 

For me it really depends on the price you can get everything else for. If it being cheaper, makes up for the lack of guarantee. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, EarthboundHero said:

For me it really depends on the price you can get everything else for. If it being cheaper, makes up for the lack of guarantee. 

Well i am very carefull when buying things used. I always ask how was the product used, problems, even the slightest things and you can really tell after 8-9 quesitons if the guy is telling the truth or there is something odd :)