Seasonic M12II Evo 620W reliable PSU?

JorenBus

So I've been getting random shutdowns recently (Kernel Power 41 error), and I think my PSU might be dying on me. 

I currently have a Corsair VS550, not the best I know.

If the problem keeps happening, I will ditch the PSU and get a Seasonic M12II Evo 620 Watt PSU.

It's fully modular, because why not.

Can you recommend this PSU? Is it reliable? It's one of the cheaper modular PSUs I could find, although I've heard Seasonic makes some pretty good PSUs.

Is this a good decission?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

It's a good budget unit and is better than the VS series. If you want us to provide an alternative, providing links to stores you can buy from would be helpful.

3 minutes ago, quan289 said:

It's a good budget unit and is better than the VS series. If you want us to provide an alternative, providing links to stores you can buy from would be helpful.

Here's the site I use:

https://tweakers.net/categorie/664/voedingen/producten/#filter:q1bKL0pJLXLLTM1JUbJSKijKzCpW0oEIBucXlQDFEouT4SIFqcmeQHW6hjogpcmpvpl5SlYGOkrFQAm3zJyS1KJiJatqJUMjS2MQXZaYo2QVrWRsYWYKNAJImUMoCwhlBqTMLc2MlGJrdUB6TJD1GBuaAcVrawE

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Yes it's reliable and I'd want to replace the one you have even if it wasn't defective

5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Seasonic makes some of the best PSUs around. That one isn't an exception. 

Allright, thanks for the replies.

I have 1 question though, is it fully modular or semi?

In the pictures on the website it seems like fully modular, but in this video it's semi-modular:

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

2 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

Here's the site I use:

https://tweakers.net/categorie/664/voedingen/producten/#filter:q1bKL0pJLXLLTM1JUbJSKijKzCpW0oEIBucXlQDFEouT4SIFqcmeQHW6hjogpcmpvpl5SlYGOkrFQAm3zJyS1KJiJatqJUMjS2MQXZaYo2QVrWRsYWYKNAJImUMoCwhlBqTMLc2MlGJrdUB6TJD1GBuaAcVrawE

Allright, thanks for the replies.

I have 1 question though, is it fully modular or semi?

In the pictures on the website it seems like fully modular, but in this video it's semi-modular:

It's fully modular

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

It's fully modular

Ok thanks, do you think 520 Watts would be enough for my system to save a bit of money? Or should I go for the 620 Watts?

4 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

Ok thanks, do you think 520 Watts would be enough for my system to save a bit of money? Or should I go for the 620 Watts?

520 is enough, I tend to go a little over with my PSUs but unless you try to put a new fat GPU in or xfire 520 should be plenty

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

19 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

So I've been getting random shutdowns recently (Kernel Power 41 error), and I think my PSU might be dying on me. 

I currently have a Corsair VS550, not the best I know.

If the problem keeps happening, I will ditch the PSU and get a Seasonic M12II Evo 620 Watt PSU.

It's fully modular, because why not.

Can you recommend this PSU? Is it reliable? It's one of the cheaper modular PSUs I could find, although I've heard Seasonic makes some pretty good PSUs.

Is this a good decission?

seasonic = safesonic

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

28 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

The EVO is the fully modular version of that older model in the video.

If you don't mind it being semi-modular, I would recommend the Cooler Master V550 at that price point. It's a better PSU than the Seasonic M12II Evo.

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/349131/cooler-master-v550-semi-modular.html

26 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

520 is enough, I tend to go a little over with my PSUs but unless you try to put a new fat GPU in or xfire 520 should be plenty

520 is enough for any GPU on the market even with power hungry CPUs, ok except maybe those stupidly inefficient AMD dual GPU cards

Just now, DreamcastFan said:

520 is enough for any GPU on the market even with power hungry CPUs, ok except maybe those stupidly inefficient AMD dual GPU cards

Think you forgot about the fury x as that thing can eat a lot of juice, but yes usually this is correct for almost all modern hardware