Open Source GPU Kickstarter project

heineygoat

A very interesting project I just saw on The Tek.

We all hear that open source reaching a new Era, particularly from Valve and their Steam boxes and AMD and their open Mantle API. 

But we all also know very well that the top two GPU vendors hold their cards close and certainly don't share their technology. This maybe the GPU that the open source community needs.

They do not plan to compete with Nvidia and AMD straight up, but 10 years from now... well, Kind of reminds me of how Linux started, It may very well become as successful. 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/725991125/open-source-graphics-processor-gpu

What if we could make drivers that allow us to bridge 16 of these together and include the GDDR5 of each card! :P 

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

We all hear that open source reaching a new Era, particularly from Valve and their Steam boxes and AMD and their open Mantle API. 

But we all also know very well that the top two GPU vendors hold their cards close and certainly don't share their technology. This maybe the GPU that the open source community needs.

They do not plan to compete with Nvidia and AMD straight up, but 10 years from now... well, Kind of reminds me of how Linux started, It may very well become as successful. 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/725991125/open-source-graphics-processor-gpu

What if we could make drivers that allow us to bridge 16 of these together and include the GDDR5 of each card! :P

Linux was a piece of software initially developed by Linus Torvalds alone, only later did he receive help from other people. That were times of early programming era, everybody could start his stuff if he wanted. And it was a piece of software...

This has no way of succeeding in the today's market, it's hardware and there are YEARS of development and really smart, ingenious engineers needed to develop a piece of silicone that will do something.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

IMO i think this will flop not that I want it to but even if it does come out, it won't be as good as AMD or Nvidia and will be overpriced so they can make enough cash to for a second one.

the only thing I would want with a card that's currently missing is upgradable gddr ram and no one will work on that.