High-RAM Usage in Windows 10?

FlushaDev

Hi guys, I have my secondary laptop for On-The-Go work and I play some small light games (CS:GO) and I want to lower the OS RAM usage so that my games consume much more RAM.

Any solutions?

"The only way to do great work, is do do what you love." -Steve Jobs

Well. No... Windows 10 is still very buggy and as far as I know there isn't a fix. It uses a lot for me too.

how high is the ram usage is my first question i have around 3 gig used with some tabs in chromew open and a few programs open and down to 2.02 gig with no real background programs running and 1 chrome tab open

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

That's windows 10 for ya, glad I don't have it. But there is not fix so long it isn't a memory leak (you'd notice if it was a memory leak) it is just windows being poorly optimized

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I'm not having these issues.  I've got a low end dual-core with 4 GB of RAM.  I've had uptime of about a week, and here is a screenshot of my stats.

Capture.PNG

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

4 hours ago, malon said:

how high is the ram usage is my first question i have around 3 gig used with some tabs in chromew open and a few programs open and down to 2.02 gig with no real background programs running and 1 chrome tab open

With Chrome and Steam open it's 66% but with chrome closed and just steam open it's just at 47-50%

memory caching.PNG

Windows 10 caches everything that gets loaded in memory. Are you actually seeing high amounts of committed RAM, or just a lot of cached data in RAM?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

2 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

memory caching.PNG

Windows 10 caches everything that gets loaded in memory. Are you actually seeing high amounts of committed RAM, or just a lot of cached data in RAM?

there.JPG

4 hours ago, FlushaDev said:

there.JPG

with 4gb of ram Windows 10 should use about 1.8-2gb of ram at idle.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

7 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

with 4gb of ram Windows 10 should use about 1.8-2gb of ram at idle.

Can't we lower it or something? Or when I play games to kill some windows tasks?

3 hours ago, FlushaDev said:

Can't we lower it or something? Or when I play games to kill some windows tasks?

you can if you want to, but I don't recommend it. Windows uses page filing for a reason.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

7 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

you can if you want to, but I don't recommend it. Windows uses page filing for a reason.

fak

People bashing on Windows 10 while being unaware it's caching and using RAM for a benefit. Would you rather it not uses RAM? Making your purchase pointless? When RAM is needed for other processes the OS will release it.

Apple have done this for many years. The more RAM you have the more Windows will use until other programs need it.

Such stupidity, not aimed at you OP.