What kind of gpu cooler

Go to solution Solved by App4that,
4 minutes ago, Ningols1598 said:

I'll still wait to see what exactly is the rx 490, but I'd still like to know if a 750 watts psu would be enough, and if an open style cooler would be a problem or not

I ran two 390s with a RM750, it was just enough. So you should be fine with the power supply. 

As for the cooler, you have to make a choice. The reference will eject the hit air out of the case, but something like a Nitro will run cooler if your case has adequate cooling.

Hi evedryone,

I plan on upgrading my gpu in the near future and I pretty much made my choice with a crossfire of rx 480's, unless the rx490 turns out to be something else than just a dual 480 on a single card.

I really like the newly announced Asus Rog Strix rx480 (same cooler than  the 1080/1070) but I fear that the open design of its cooler could be a problem with crossfire.

I have a be quiet silent base 800 with 3 140's be quiet silent wings 2, two of them as intake and the third as exhaust, as well as a 120mm silent wings 2

Also, would my corsair rm750i psu be enough for a dual gpu setup?

Thanks for your help :)

Gaming rig : i5 6600k | EVGA 1070 FTW | 16Go DDR4 HyperX Fury | Intel 600p - WD Black

Laptop : Macbook 2017

Home server : AMD A10 7700k | 2*2TB unraid array + 250GB ssd cache

Don't go crossfire, especially with lower end cards. just not worth the headache. get one 480 and wait for Vega, sell it and trade up when Vega launches. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

12 minutes ago, App4that said:

Don't go crossfire, especially with lower end cards. just not worth the headache. get one 480 and wait for Vega, sell it and trade up when Vega launches. 

7 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Don't crossfire 2 lower end cards over 1 higher end,since crossfire can be a pain in the ass

I know it's always better to go for the highest single card for the budget, and I could simply go for the 1070, but I'm also gonna buy a 4k display which has freesync on it, and a 4k gsync monitors cost at least 300€  (~340$) more, and a single 480 wouldn't be able to run games decently at 4k. And I chose the 480 because it currently is the most powerful single card that amd as to offer at the moment

I watched JayzTwoCents video

and given the results of his benchmarks, I don't think a dual 480 setup would be bad.

Gaming rig : i5 6600k | EVGA 1070 FTW | 16Go DDR4 HyperX Fury | Intel 600p - WD Black

1 minute ago, Ningols1598 said:

And I chose the 480 because it currently is the most powerful single card that amd as to offer at the moment

No? they have the Fury X/Fury

1 minute ago, keNNySOC said:

No? they have the Fury X/Fury

I know, but they only have 4Gigs of vram. I know its hbm and all, but I still think 4k gaming needs at least 8GB.

And it still doesn't answer my questions about the cooler style and the psu needed

Get a Fury X, anything but crossfiring lower end cards. Jay showed the few games that work, do you want your PC picking your games for you? Or paying 500us for 480 level performance in the games that don't?

The Fury X are cheap right now, take advantage of that.

1 minute ago, Ningols1598 said:

I know, but they only have 4Gigs of vram. I know its hbm and all, but I still think 4k gaming needs at least 8GB.

And it still doesn't answer my questions about the cooler style and the psu needed

Its a perfectly capable 4k card,we know 4gb is not much but it still is capable

1 minute ago, keNNySOC said:

Its a perfectly capable 4k card,we know 4gb is not much but it still is capable

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Get a Fury X, anything but crossfiring lower end cards. Jay showed the few games that work, do you want your PC picking your games for you? Or paying 500us for 480 level performance in the games that don't?

The Fury X are cheap right now, take advantage of that.

I'll still wait to see what exactly is the rx 490, but I'd still like to know if a 750 watts psu would be enough, and if an open style cooler would be a problem or not

4 minutes ago, Ningols1598 said:

I ran two 390s with a RM750, it was just enough. So you should be fine with the power supply. 

As for the cooler, you have to make a choice. The reference will eject the hit air out of the case, but something like a Nitro will run cooler if your case has adequate cooling.

Thanks for answering the original question :P

At least no one went on with the green/red war x)

Just now, Ningols1598 said:

Thanks for answering the original question :P

At least no one went on with the green/red war x)

Nah, that's all BS. I've run both and they both make great cards. Best graphics card I've ever owned was still my Vapor X 290. 

If you have fans locations in the bottom of your case, make sure to use them. I ran two intake in the front and bottom, and two exhaust on top and a rear exhaust. With two big open coolers I was fine. But you move a lot of hot air so have a fan for yourself, no joke. 

Nah, that's all BS. I've run both and they both make great cards. Best graphics card I've ever owned was still my Vapor X 290. 

If you have fans locations in the bottom of your case, make sure to use them. I ran two intake in the front and bottom, and two exhaust on top and a rear exhaust. With two big open coolers I was fine. But you move a lot of hot air so have a fan for yourself, no joke. 

Currently, I use two 140's on the front intake, a 120 as rear exhaust and a 140 as top exhaust, just above my cpu cooler (kind of push/pull configuration)

5 minutes ago, Ningols1598 said:

Currently, I use two 140's on the front intake, a 120 as rear exhaust and a 140 as top exhaust, just above my cpu cooler (kind of push/pull configuration)

If at all possible get a few in the bottom, that made over a 10c difference in my running temperatures. And keeping that top card cool takes some juggling.