gigabit switch and my download issues

brandonb21

i bought a gigbit switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1005D) and i have 300 down 100 up fiber internet. and when i hocked up my switch plugged it into my router it showed on windows 10 network status i had a 1gb connection  

bell alient.png

now if i do a speed test i get this

13978328_1126226057451908_1840691583_o.png

now if i do a speed test on wireless i get this 

13951036_1126259164115264_1186967214_o.png

so my question is my switch faulty or do switches not support faster speeds then 100mbps? download/upload?

2 minutes ago, brandonb21 said:

i bought a gigbit switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1005D) and i have 300 down 100 up fiber internet. and when i hocked up my switch plugged it into my router it showed on windows 10 network status i had a 1gb connection  bell alient.png

now if i do a speed test i get this

13978328_1126226057451908_1840691583_o.png

now if i do a speed test on wireless i get this 

13951036_1126259164115264_1186967214_o.png

so my question is my switch faulty or do switches not support faster speeds then 100mbps? download/upload?

what cat cables are use useing cat 5e/6/7 ? that switch you put in your post is  1000MBps so 1gbps with 5gbps max for internal speed . the  wireless i guess from your isp gives you better speeds  then its your cables either to your pc or from your switch to your modem/wireless router for 1gbps you want cat 5e min cat 6 recommended . on your router info page screenshot it only lists 100MBps full duplex . that would explain why you only get 100mbps .  how do you get your internet isp -> modem->  wireless router-> switch-> pc  ?

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

2 minutes ago, gamerking said:

what cat cables are use useing cat 5e/6/7 ? that switch you put in your post is  1000MBps so 1gbps with 5gbps max for internal speed . the  wireless i guess from your isp gives you better speeds  then its your cables either to your pc or from your switch to your modem/wireless router for 1gbps you want cat 5e min cat 6 recommended . on your router info page screenshot it only lists 100MBps full duplex . that would explain why you only get 100mbps .  how do you get your internet isp -> modem->  wireless router-> switch-> pc  ?

im using cat 5E i tested them all plugged in directly to router and got 350 down. yes i noticed that too its showing 100mb duplex in the router screen i ran 2 cables from router to pc and got 350 so ya the wires are fine the way i get internet is

iSP from outside ----> Router ----> switch ----> pc 

the router has a modem built inside its all one unit i had a technistion here the other day and he tested it with a cat 6 and he only got 100mb down. he told me the switch could be faulty.

1 minute ago, brandonb21 said:

im using cat 5E i tested them all plugged in directly to router and got 350 down. yes i noticed that too its showing 100mb duplex in the router screen i ran 2 cables from router to pc and got 350 so ya the wires are fine the way i get internet is

iSP from outside ----> Router ----> switch ----> pc 

the router has a modem built inside its all one unit i had a technistion here the other day and he tested it with a cat 6 and he only got 100mb down. he told me the switch could be faulty.

if the router has 4 ports use that to connect your pc . if it doesnt then just attach your pc only and  if you get the good speed then its the switch is bad

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Just now, gamerking said:

if the router has 4 ports use that to connect your pc . if it doesnt then just attach your pc only and  if you get the good speed then its the switch is bad

this is a cat 5e wire i made and i went from 

Router -----> switch ----> pc

so i unplugged the wire and ran it 

Router ------> pc

and i got this result 

Untitled3.png

i been running directly into router for few days now but i wanted to use the switch for my game consoles... so after finding this out im guessing the switch is bad,.

you might have to screw with the setting on it if it has a UI web to make it work . if not buy a netgear smart or their dumb switches no UI just plug and go

4 hours ago, brandonb21 said:

this is a cat 5e wire i made and i went from 

Router -----> switch ----> pc

so i unplugged the wire and ran it 

Router ------> pc

and i got this result 

Untitled3.png

i been running directly into router for few days now but i wanted to use the switch for my game consoles... so after finding this out im guessing the switch is bad,.

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

The link between your Bell Aliant router and the switch is probably negotiated to 100 Mbps, vs 1,000 Mbps.   This is why you're getting 300+ Mbps on WiFi (direct to the Aliant router), and only 95 Mbps via the TP-Link switch.

What is the model number of your gateway from Aliant?    Based on your testing above, I'm guessing that the auto-negotiation between the Aliant router and your TP-Link switch isn't working well, so the best link it can negotiate is 100 Mbps vs 1 Gbps, or that it's getting a half-duplex link at 1.0 Gbps (more likely it's FD at 100 Mbps).

There is no configuration GUI for the TP-Link switch (it's basically a single config box...can't do much with it), so I'm guessing that it's just not auto-negotiating with the Aliant modem/router very well.   You can try a couple of things...a different port on both the switch and the router, and/or try a different cable between the switch and router.

There is an easy way to determine if it's a bad port, or simply an incompatibility between the boxes.   First, plug your PC into a switch port directly on the router.   Check on your laptop / PC to ensure that you're getting 1.0 Gbps (as you've shown above).   Aliant router port #1 (or 2, or 3, or 4) --> PC ethernet port

Then, with that same cable. move the cable from your Aliant router to any port on the TP-Link switch (still connected to your PC/laptop on the other end).  Check to see if it's establishing a link at 1.0 Gbps as well (on your PC).  TP-Link switch port #1 (or 2, or 3, or 4) --> PC ethernet port.

If both of those tests show a 1.0 Gbps connection to your PC, then each port is theoretically fine.  Move the same cable to between your Aliant router and TP-Link switch.  Aliant router port #1 --> TP-Link switch port #1.

Plug your laptop into a different port, and see what happens.

Auto-negotiation isn't a perfect standard within 802.1 space...

Patrick

We specialize in work which few understand

ok. il try to keep it as straight forward as i can i tried the cable that i had running from the switch to the pc because as my research above i know the cable going to the switch from the router is fine. and plugged it in to ethernet 1 2 3 and 4 on router and got 300 down both times at 1gbps. then i tried that same cable plugged into the switch to the pc on 1 2 3 4 and 5 i got 1gbps on windows but 95mbps on speedtest. i contacted bell aliant and they sent a free IT guy to my house and he looked and tried the switch he ran cat 6 and 7 to and from the switch same result. he contacted tp link and they told him its probably a faulty switch. so i contacted amazon and they sent me a dlink one for free to try as i had proof from bell that it was bad or possibly bad 

this is the one amazon is sending me https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003X7TRWO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1