Best DIY speaker designs?

Mobby Dick

I don't know if this is the right community to ask this question, but I always got good answers here, so why not this time? ;) (btw if you know another nice audio forum just let me know)

So I am planning on building my own desktop speakers, but don't know which design is best. My max. budget is 600€. The speakers should have no rear-facing bass reflex openings, since the back of the speakers will face corners... Both passive and active speakers are fine, since I already have an AMP for my current speakers (maybe not the greatest but I will work out for now).

I was told that the Seas Idunn are pretty nice, but I thought you may have some others to consider :)

I live in Germany so if you already know where to buy speaker parts here it would be great if you let me know, since I cannot find anything that looks legit :D 

Other pre-built speakers that are not overpriced are also welcome :) 

Already a huge Thank you!

16 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

I don't know if this is the right community to ask this question, but I always got good answers here, so why not this time? ;) (btw if you know another nice audio forum just let me know)

So I am planning on building my own desktop speakers, but don't know which design is best. My max. budget is 600€. The speakers should have no rear-facing bass reflex openings, since the back of the speakers will face corners... Both passive and active speakers are fine, since I already have an AMP for my current speakers (maybe not the greatest but I will work out for now).

I was told that the Seas Idunn are pretty nice, but I thought you may have some others to consider :)

I live in Germany so if you already know where to buy speaker parts here it would be great if you let me know, since I cannot find anything that looks legit :D 

Other pre-built speakers that are not overpriced are also welcome :) 

Already a huge Thank you!

Plug your ears into your computer 

My PC Currently Is The P2-1320a.

1 minute ago, I Need A PC Build ASAP said:

Plug your ears into your computer 

do I need any adapter?

Just now, Mobby Dick said:

do I need any adapter?

Lucky for you, i know a do it yourself one.

1. Get some arts and craft scisorros and cut off a bit of your skin from your arm.

2. With that skin make a line.

3. Connect the line to your ear and then put it into your pc.

Done!

My PC Currently Is The P2-1320a.

The site you're looking for when it comes to DIY audio kit would be, erm, http://www.diyaudio.com/

They have some pretty extensive gallery sections once you dig through the sub forums, and could be a good place to start looking for ideas, and also where you might source specific parts from. As a point of general interest, take a look at the potential 'end game' of this type of work - Mike Chin that runs the SPRC site (previously an Antec case designer) has produced the equivalent of some really high end kit in his time. The layered birch plinth that he built to rehouse a Lenco turntable makes my jaw drop every time (2nd link). Not necessarily relevant, but fascinating to see what some people sink their spare time in to.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Linkwitz_Orion_speakers

http://www.silentpcreview.com/MikeC_Audio_Craft_Introduction

I like this stuff, but not many more people here. So it's not the best place.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 hours ago, spwath said:

I like this stuff, but not many more people here. So it's not the best place.

I've been meaning to build a pair of electrostatic speakers for a while now, but just haven't found the time. I can use them as a high school project and then sell them on Craigslist afterward and mabye make a profit :)

`

6 minutes ago, klh2000 said:

I've been meaning to build a pair of electrostatic speakers for a while now, but just haven't found the time. I can use them as a high school project and then sell them on Craigslist afterward and mabye make a profit :)

Can you build electrostatic speakers?

That seems really hard....

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

8 minutes ago, spwath said:

Can you build electrostatic speakers?

That seems really hard....

They're pretty easy. Just two perforated metal sheets with a mylar membrane in between charged up to 5000 volts :P

esl_animation.gif

`

9 minutes ago, klh2000 said:

They're pretty easy. Just two perforated metal sheets with a mylar membrane in between charged up to 5000 volts :P

esl_animation.gif

Hmm. I kinda want to try that...

2 minutes ago, klh2000 said:

This will get you started: http://jazzman-esl-page.blogspot.com/

Klien steel sells the materials.

Great thanks, more ways for me to spend all my money.