Optoma projector color "washing" troubleshoot

Go to solution Solved by BlackAdder10,

Hi

First try this.

Adjust your color wheel index in service mode.  Increase or decrease number and see if it helps.

Press (Power→Left→Left→Up) to get  into service mode.

If changing cw index won't help, then disassemble projector and clean color wheel photo sensor.

Manual here. http://easp.optomausa.com/ASP/upload/Service manuals/Optoma HD80_HD80-LV_HD803-LV Series V6.0(DDP3021, 36.87Z05G001) Service Manual.pdf

Hey all!

I'm having an issue with my Optoma HD80 projector lately. It has difficulty displaying red/yellow colors when they get quite bright, giving the impression of 'low quality JPG' image. Below I've attached three images. The first is a photo of the projector screen, the second is a photo of the display and the third is a screen capture. All are captured at the same point in this music video. On the projected image, you can see the yellow on the cheek of the person 'clipping', which isn't the case in the other two photos. There appears to be an area of exactly the same yellow hue, that abruptly breaks of and becomes a smoother gradient. I'm not sure if there is a technical term for this, but this is about as accurate as I can describe the issue. :(

I'm looking to find what the issue is and whether it can be fixed. The projector is an Optoma HD80 projector of a few years old. Lamp is at 1500hrs of its supposed 2000hrs. This occurs even after a factory reset of the color settings, and does not seem to be a cable issue (I tried another cable and it gave the same result). Between computer and projector there is an HDMI connection with an HDMI switch in between (multiple inputs to the projector). The test with another cable also bypassed the switch, so it should not be the problem.

Thank you so much for any feedback in advance!

Photos below:

Spoiler

Projector:

projector.jpg

Screen:

screen.jpg

Screencap:

screenshot.png

Hi

First try this.

Adjust your color wheel index in service mode.  Increase or decrease number and see if it helps.

Press (Power→Left→Left→Up) to get  into service mode.

If changing cw index won't help, then disassemble projector and clean color wheel photo sensor.

Manual here. http://easp.optomausa.com/ASP/upload/Service manuals/Optoma HD80_HD80-LV_HD803-LV Series V6.0(DDP3021, 36.87Z05G001) Service Manual.pdf

That worked like a charm. Changed the color wheel index from 60 to 50 and the effect seems to be gone as far as I can tell with a quick look. Thank you so much!

For future reference (and maybe in case I ever need to contact Optoma) could you please give me a little information as to what the problem was and how this solves it? Anything would be greatly appreciated!

There is a dust on photo sensor or color wheel is not spinning at the correct speed.

Changing CW index is temporal solution. Problem may come back.

More permanent way to fix is to clean photo sensor.

If cleaning won't help, change color wheel.

I hope this helps.