Why don't screens use RGY or CMYK?

Djole123

So as you know, most screens use RGB color space to represent colors.

But why don't they use RGY (red, green and yellow) or CMYK (cyan-magenta-yellow key, used by printers)?

And if they do, can you tell me some that use RGY/CMYK?

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

because costs and standardisation probably

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Think of it this way, if you mix all visible lights together you get white light, but if you mix all the pigments we can see together you'd get black. Not to mention, RGB matches what our eyes can see, we have cones that can sense Red, Green, and Blue light. It would be much easier to match that then having to use complex algorithms to convert the image to CMYK/RGY when the monitor get's the image. However, this is my hypothesis.

Brah, do you even Java?

2 hours ago, Djole123 said:

So as you know, most screens use RGB color space to represent colors.

But why don't they use RGY (red, green and yellow) or CMYK (cyan-magenta-yellow key, used by printers)?

And if they do, can you tell me some that use RGY/CMYK?

Those rule sets don't work for things that produce light. They only work for reflecting light, like ink.  This is called additive vs. subtractive color. Mixing Red Green and Blue light produces white light. Mixing Red Green and Blue ink however doesn't produce white ink (mixing CMY ink in fact produces black, it is the inverse). There are different rules for what colors mix to make what other colors for producing vs reflecting light.

4 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Those rule sets don't work for things that produce light. They only work for reflecting light, like ink.  This is called additive vs. subtractive color. Mixing Red Green and Blue light produces white light. Mixing Red Green and Blue ink however doesn't produce white ink. There are different rules for what colors mix to make what other colors for producing vs reflecting light.

Ok thanks!

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB