4690k First Overclock ever!

I put core voltage: 1.260V

I put frequency 44x100MHz = 4.4GHz

Temperatures while stress testing: MAX - 73°C, AVG - 68°C

I'm using stress test from AIDA64 (CPU, FPU, Cache). Runnig for few minutes. How long should I run it? Can I do better overclock?

My cooler is Hyper 212x from Coolermaster.

CPU & COOLER - INTEL i9 12900K | NZXT KRAKEN X62

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

GPU - ASUS GEFORCE RTX 3080 TUF

RAM - 2x16GB KINGSTON FURY 3200MHZ

PSU - PHANTEKS REVOLT PRO 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD

SSD #1 - CORSAIR SN850 1TB

SSD #2 - CORSAIR SN850X 4TB

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

CASE - PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P500A D-RGB

MOUSE #1 - LOGITECH G502 X Wireless

KEYBOARD - AKKO 5108B PLUS

SPEAKERS - SVS PB-1000 + 2x ADAM A3X

HEADSET #1 - SENNHEISER IE-300

HEADSET #2 - FOSTEX TR-X00 PURPLEHREART

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

DISPLAY 2 - XIAOMI 2K GAMING

PHONE - SAMSUNG GALAXY S23+ 

Run it for about 30 minutes that will give you your maximum temps. For true stability, run it for 12+hrs and ensure it doesnt crash. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Run it all day.

If you come back tomorrow and it's still running, well then you've got yourself a stable overclock.

Just now, legacy99 said:

Run it for about 30 minutes that will give you your maximum temps. For true stability, run it for 12+hrs and ensure it doesnt crash. 

Before I did the overvolt I played GTA V for like 2-3 minutes and instantly got BSOD. So I put voltage t 1.260 cuz I read that 1.3 is max safe for 22nm Haswell.

I can't run it for 12 hours, my pc isn't even on for that long.. Maybe 2-3 hours max

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

Well to get a true test of stability that is what is needed. And yes, the maximum safe voltage for 24/7 operation of haswell is 1.3v with proper cooling and temperature control. As long as under stress testing you keep the CPU around 75c or lower you should be good. But to get a true stability test, you do need to let it run for 12+hrs to ensure. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

Well to get a true test of stability that is what is needed. And yes, the maximum safe voltage for 24/7 operation of haswell is 1.3v with proper cooling and temperature control. As long as under stress testing you keep the CPU around 75c or lower you should be good. But to get a true stability test, you do need to let it run for 12+hrs to ensure. 

Meh, I'll just use it like this, if it crashes, I lower the frequency. If it doesn't then it's stable.. No need to waste 12hrs...

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

8 minutes ago, berny22 said:

Meh, I'll just use it like this, if it crashes, I lower the frequency. If it doesn't then it's stable.. No need to waste 12hrs...

Perfectly acceptable for you to run  your machine however you'd like!

Just...don't work on your thesis for hours without saving or anything like that and you'll be fine.

1 hour ago, Leadneck said:

Perfectly acceptable for you to run  your machine however you'd like!

Just...don't work on your thesis for hours without saving or anything like that and you'll be fine.

I actually think I'm stable. GTA V turns out to be a perfect stress testing game.. I entered the game @ 4.4GHz Auto voltage and I crashed after few seconds of gameplay. Then I tried changing to frequency to 4.2GHz but I was still crashing.  Then I tried overvolting to 1.26V but the temps were not so nice. So I changed the voltage to 1.24V. Now it doesn't crash anymore and the CPU is not going over 70°C. I'm just suprised how can a game be a better stress tester than software that is made for that purpose. I stressed CPU, FPU & Cache.. All cores went 100% load but I didn't get BSOD. And in GTA V I get BSOD only after few seconds of gameplay when my cpu is unstable.

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

15 minutes ago, berny22 said:

I actually think I'm stable. GTA V turns out to be a perfect stress testing game.. I entered the game @ 4.4GHz Auto voltage and I crashed after few seconds of gameplay. Then I tried changing to frequency to 4.2GHz but I was still crashing.  Then I tried overvolting to 1.26V but the temps were not so nice. So I changed the voltage to 1.24V. Now it doesn't crash anymore and the CPU is not going over 70°C. I'm just suprised how can a game be a better stress tester than software that is made for that purpose. I stressed CPU, FPU & Cache.. All cores went 100% load but I didn't get BSOD. And in GTA V I get BSOD only after few seconds of gameplay when my cpu is unstable.

Your PC only needs to be as stable as you need it to be.  There's no need in running 12hr or overnight stability tests if you don't need it.  Besides that, best practice is to hit your CPU with a bunch of different tests instead of one test for a long time.

Just because your CPU is seeing 100% use, doesn't mean it's being exposed to the heaviest of loads.  Try running AIDA64 (CPU, Cache, and FPU), ReachBench, and OCCT for just over an hour a piece.  Stressing your CPU with a variety of loads is more important that running any one test for half a day.  That does very little to prove overall stability.  Follow all of that up with some gaming and you can consider your overclock stable.

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Your PC only needs to be as stable as you need it to be.  There's no need in running 12hr or overnight stability tests if you don't need it.  Besides that, best practice is to hit your CPU with a bunch of different tests instead of one test for a long time.

Just because your CPU is seeing 100% use, doesn't mean it's being exposed to the heaviest of loads.  Try running AIDA64 (CPU, Cache, and FPU), ReachBench, and OCCT for just over an hour a piece.  Stressing your CPU with a variety of loads is more important that running any one test for half a day.  That does very little to prove overall stability.  Follow all of that up with some gaming and you can consider your overclock stable.

Nice idea.. Ok Im running OCCT, prime95 & AIDA64 all at once. while playing °GTA V and nothing is happening.. its all stable and temperatures dont go above 70°C.. although GTA V is unplayable and the text that I'm typing at this moment is lagging ^^ anyways I think I did a nice stable overclock for my first time

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

Just now, berny22 said:

Nice idea.. Ok Im running OCCT, prime95 & AIDA64 all at once. while playing °GTA V and nothing is happening.. its all stable and temperatures dont go above 70°C.. although GTA V is unplayable and the text that I'm typing at this moment is lagging ^^ anyways I think I did a nice stable overclock for my first time

Running them at once serves no purpose. The load doesn't stack like you're thinking.  If anything, that's actually easier on the CPU.  Run separately.  

yeah, GTA V is crazy heavy on stuff, I can run stress tests like Linpack, Firestrike, Realbench and stuff all day long, as soon as I play GTA V for a couple of minutes or sometimes hours it inevitably causes a crash on dodgy overclocks

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Well, GTAV likes to hit your whole system at once. CPU, Memory, Storage, GPU, VRAM, you name it!

Stressing the CPU really only does that so, it makes sense that it's a good way to shake out instabilities.

7 hours ago, berny22 said:

I put core voltage: 1.260V

I put frequency 44x100MHz = 4.4GHz

Temperatures while stress testing: MAX - 73°C, AVG - 68°C

I'm using stress test from AIDA64 (CPU, FPU, Cache). Runnig for few minutes. How long should I run it? Can I do better overclock?

My cooler is Hyper 212x from Coolermaster.

That voltage seems high for 4..4. Bring it down to 1.2, get occt and do a two hour run. If it passes that it should be good. I haven't had an oc fail after a two hour run of occt.

Mine got 4.4 at 1.16v, but mine is very good at that range. 1.2 should be doable unless you got a crap overclocker.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

16 hours ago, incarnate said:

That voltage seems high for 4..4. Bring it down to 1.2, get occt and do a two hour run. If it passes that it should be good. I haven't had an oc fail after a two hour run of occt.

Mine got 4.4 at 1.16v, but mine is very good at that range. 1.2 should be doable unless you got a crap overclocker.

I just ran Prime95 small fft .. and my temps jumped to 80°C WTF.. if i lower the voltage i cant run GTA V at all... 1.2V @ 4.2GHz = game crashes...

Auto Voltage @ 4GHZ = 75°C ... wtf? I can't overclock at all.. my cpu is hot even with no overvolt and a minimum overclock.. what am I doing wrong

I'm sure I put the cooler correctly.. I bottomed up the screws.. the thermal paste spread over the whole cpu.. Is it possible because I used the thermal paste that came with the cooler?

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

5 hours ago, berny22 said:

I just ran Prime95 small fft .. and my temps jumped to 80°C WTF.. if i lower the voltage i cant run GTA V at all... 1.2V @ 4.2GHz = game crashes...

Auto Voltage @ 4GHZ = 75°C ... wtf? I can't overclock at all.. my cpu is hot even with no overvolt and a minimum overclock.. what am I doing wrong

I'm sure I put the cooler correctly.. I bottomed up the screws.. the thermal paste spread over the whole cpu.. Is it possible because I used the thermal paste that came with the cooler?

First. Stop using prime 95. It's ridiculously unrealistic in terms of heat load. Use occt instead. Also prime 95 has issues with haswell

Second auto voltage is not stock voltage. It will ramp up the voltage much quicker than necessary. Don't ever use auto voltage when overclocking.

Third, reset everything to defaults (be sure to do this) in the bios. Set the voltage to manual mode. Set the voltage to 1.2v and multiplier to 41, disable turbo and speed stepping, then run 15-30 min tests in occt. If it passes increase the multiplier by one and test again for a bit longer. When you get a bluescreen increase the voltage by 0.01 and try again.

As you get up to 4.4ghz you'll want to test for 2 hours. If it passes 2 hours and doesn't get too hot (85°C is the upper limit here) then it should be fine.

once you're finished overclocking, enable turbo and speed stepping again.

I highly doubt your cpu is unstable at 4.2 ghz at 1.2v.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

1 hour ago, incarnate said:

First. Stop using prime 95. It's ridiculously unrealistic in terms of heat load. Use occt instead. Also prime 95 has issues with haswell

Second auto voltage is not stock voltage. It will ramp up the voltage much quicker than necessary. Don't ever use auto voltage when overclocking.

Third, reset everything to defaults (be sure to do this) in the bios. Set the voltage to manual mode. Set the voltage to 1.2v and multiplier to 41, disable turbo and speed stepping, then run 15-30 min tests in occt. If it passes increase the multiplier by one and test again for a bit longer. When you get a bluescreen increase the voltage by 0.01 and try again.

As you get up to 4.4ghz you'll want to test for 2 hours. If it passes 2 hours and doesn't get too hot (85°C is the upper limit here) then it should be fine.

I reset everything, I change voltage to 1.2V and frequency to 4.2GHz.. And I'm hitting 80°C using OCCT

EDIT 3.2GHz @ 1.1V = <60°C stress test

looks like a bought a cooler and a overclockable cpu and a Z series motherboard for nothing and wasted a ton of money on shit..

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

1 hour ago, berny22 said:

I reset everything, I change voltage to 1.2V and frequency to 4.2GHz.. And I'm hitting 80°C using OCCT

EDIT 3.2GHz @ 1.1V = <60°C stress test

looks like a bought a cooler and a overclockable cpu and a Z series motherboard for nothing and wasted a ton of money on shit..

The hyper 212 is an entry level cooler, it's decent but has its limits. and 80°c is FINE on stress tests. You won't hit that kind of heat load when gaming.

Voltage causes more heat than clock speed do try pushing the clock speeds higher.

Keep in mind the air temp has an effect as well. So if it's hot where you live then your temps will be higher.

When I had the 212, my temps for stress tests at 1.2v where around 82°C. You can set a more aggressive fan curve to help at higher temps.

If you aren't comfortable with this, then overclocking isn't for you.

My rig:

4 hours ago, incarnate said:

I'm gonna keep running stock speeds & stock voltage (auto) since I can't get a stable overclock.. I dont want to waste a day or more trying to find a stable overclock that won't do any notable performance boost. 4.4GHz ain't worth my time. 3.9 turbo is enough for me.. + temps on stress testing are below 60°C

although I'm very dissapointed cuz I wasted money on a K cpu & on a Z motherboard.. could've gotten some cheap mbo anda 4690 non k.. and bought a 1060

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

33 minutes ago, berny22 said:

I'm gonna keep running stock speeds & stock voltage (auto) since I can't get a stable overclock.. I dont want to waste a day or more trying to find a stable overclock that won't do any notable performance boost. 4.4GHz ain't worth my time. 3.9 turbo is enough for me.. + temps on stress testing are below 60°C

although I'm very dissapointed cuz I wasted money on a K cpu & on a Z motherboard.. could've gotten some cheap mbo anda 4690 non k.. and bought a 1060

Yeah, it takes time to get an overclock, sorry you had to spend money to find out it's not for you.

My rig: