Do I Really Have 400 Mz RAM, or is CPU-Z lying to me

Go to solution Solved by SageOfSpice,

800mhz CAS 6. That's about right.

If it's supposed to run higher than that, it's probably because you haven't enabled XMP.

I'm not sure if I just don't understand CPU-Z or if I somehow have 400 Mz RAM...

1471407144144551132392.jpg

Ram is Double Data Rate Technology

Key word Double

you dont have 400 MHZ

you have 800 MHz

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

If it's supposed to run higher than that, it's probably because you haven't enabled XMP.

4 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

My computer is so old I cant enable XMP :( and my RAM is supposed to be 1333 Mhz

1 minute ago, Rekedal said:

My computer is so old I cant enable XMP :( and my RAM is supposed to be 1333 Mhz

Then read the label on the side of the sticks, note down the CAS timings and frequency and manually overclock it. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Then read the label on the side of the sticks, note down the CAS timings and frequency and manually overclock it. 

I have a locked BIOS from 2008.... it wont even let me touch CPU voltage let alone memory overclocking unless you guys know a way to get around it?

Just now, Rekedal said:

I have a locked BIOS from 2008.... it wont even let me touch CPU voltage let alone memory overclocking unless you guys know a way to get around it?

What're your specs? I assume X58 and an i7

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

What're your specs? I assume X58 and an i7

No. 

Intel Pentium E5800.

It's FSB is only 800mhz.

1 minute ago, SageOfSpice said:

No. 

Intel Pentium E5800.

It's FSB is only 800mhz.

Oh. 

*might be time for an upgrade* (Although not necessary at all for an office build)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

You can upgrade CPU + mobo + RAM for $150

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($57.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($34.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $144.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-17 00:40 EDT-0400

Might become incompatible with IDE drives though.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

An upgrade is long overdue indeed, the only problem i have is I either can save a lot of money and buy a Core 2 Extreme a cheap SSD and rx 460/470 and have something decent enough to run 1080 p or wait longer and scrap everything for a build from sratch since nothing in my current PC would be useable in a better PC except the the HDD and RAM and even that is sketchy because of how old they are... (6 year old WD GREEN and 6 Gb of Samsung DDR3)

12 minutes ago, Rekedal said:

An upgrade is long overdue indeed, the only problem i have is I either can save a lot of money and buy a Core 2 Extreme a cheap SSD and rx 460/470 and have something decent enough to run 1080 p or wait longer and scrap everything for a build from sratch since nothing in my current PC would be useable in a better PC except the the HDD and RAM and even that is sketchy because of how old they are... (6 year old WD GREEN and 6 Gb of Samsung DDR3)

What motherboard do you have? There's a chance you can mod it to fit a 771 Xeon and get Core 2 Extreme performance for much cheaper. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

14 minutes ago, Rekedal said:

Ehhh probably should start from scratch. Core 2 Quads are kinda eh.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

13 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

What motherboard do you have? There's a chance you can mod it to fit a 771 Xeon and get Core 2 Extreme performance for much cheaper. 

http://www.sears.com/gateway-sx2803-motherboard-mb-gbs01.001-mbgbs01001/p-SPM8436792031?sid=IDx20110310x00001i&gclid=Cj0KEQjw88q9BRDB5qLcwLXr7_sBEiQAZsGja7_v4jsQH9_Aqm8jbqHYXQUpQjDzBqWNPSL7ejDjtjEaAogH8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds#

it's an.... interesting motherboard

9 minutes ago, Rekedal said:

That didn't come up anywhere in any of the 771 mod guides... I'm assuming this is a prebuilt? Also, a Q6600 and RX 460 would be nice, no need for a C2Extreme. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

That didn't come up anywhere in any of the 771 mod guides... I'm assuming this is a prebuilt? Also, a Q6600 and RX 460 would be nice, no need for a C2Extreme. 

yes it is, and i looked up and i have the compatible G43/45 chipset for the mod

yes it is, and i looked up and i have the compatible G43/45 chipset for the mod

Well, find out what Xeons would be compatible (a quad core is ideal :D) and then it's simply performing the mod. WARNING: Quite dangerous as you have to cut plastic tabs off in the socket and you will have to modify the BIOS to allow it. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Well, find out what Xeons would be compatible (a quad core is ideal :D) and then it's simply performing the mod. WARNING: Quite dangerous as you have to cut plastic tabs off in the socket and you will have to modify the BIOS to allow it. 

The BIOS is extremely restricted on this computer so I'm not sure if I would be able to do that.... but when I do upgrade it will be a worthwhile project to try! Also, if my mobo FSB is the same as what the CPU allows im restrained to 800Mhz which elimnates the Xeon mod unless 1333 is the FSB of them mobo jsut restricted by the CPU 

The BIOS is extremely restricted on this computer so I'm not sure if I would be able to do that.... but when I do upgrade it will be a worthwhile project to try!

When I say mod the BIOS I mean flash a custom made one (it's not hard to make one, you just take the current BIOS and add more CPUs to the supported list, as shown on the delidded.com guide) that would support the CPU.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats