Will I have bottlenecking issues?

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,
13 hours ago, jordandhs said:

Ah so you both agree that it will all depend on what the maximum base fps that the CPU which will depend on the game. After that the GPU will put out whatever fps it is capable of doing at a given resolution up to that maximum base fps of the CPU?

yes that's pretty much how it works indeed.

So, as you increase the resolution the load on the GPU will grow...so in a way you would be reducing that ''bottleneck'' (gosh i hate that word)

That said, i had an FX-8320 myself and i had that overclocked to 4.6ghz and in some titles it could barely sustain a 30FPS rendering...i had it paired with a GTX 780 @1080p and in some games the CPU was already holding it back...so a GTX 1070...nahh that's not a good idea...even at 2560x1440 in some games you would run into noticeable CPU limitations... i would even say try to save up for an i7-4790K or i7-6700K or something...cause core i5 these days in some modern games are having a real work out already and the cores hit max load across the board which is not good cause it mean the CPU can't handle more...so if you plan using it for the next couple years...yeah...you see what i mean...meanwhile the i7 will cruise at 60-70% load like a porche on the highway.

3 hours ago, SouthBi4ch said:

just get the 1070,u will do just fine,and upgrade to a better cpu  and motherboard as soon as u get the money for it . even tho its gonna bottleneck it,u will still be able to play whatever games u want to play...its still gonna be a major upgrade even bottlenecked,lol

that said...i agree with that user ^^ get the GPU anyways, 100% agree with this.

Goood luck!

Hi from Ireland,

Im relatively new to pc building but 4 months back managed to scrape together enough money to build myself a budget pc. It currently has a AMD FX-8320E CPU and a GTX 750 Ti GPU with standard enough Gigabyte motherboard and 8gb of Corsair RAM.

Hoping that people could give me some guidance on whether i am likely to have bottlenecking if I replace the GPU with a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming? I've just recently started a new job so thats why I should be able to afford this potential upgrade.

Thank you for any help!

Hello. What is your resolution? because if you are playing 1080p, even the i5 6600k can bottleneck and 1070 (very minor bneck,but still).

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

Hey thank you for the reply, yeah currently at 1080p. Potentially looking at going up to 1440p in a few months. At 1440p am I realistically going to have to have a better CPU so? :(

EDIT: Is bottlenecking more of an issue at lower resolutions? Sorry If I seem like an idiot! If Im running that system with the GTX 1070 at 1440p will I get far better performance than I would with a 1060?

Well, the higher the resolution,the LESSER the bottleneck caused by the processor. so i THINK you will be fine, but better check benchmarks

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

Perfect - Don't see myself gaming at 4K anytime soon. Hopefully the 1070 will keep me going for a while.

Thank you for your help!

Major bottleneck sorry. Your base fps allowed by the CPU happens regardless of resolution. So 20fps at 1080p is 20fps at 4k. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Major bottleneck sorry. Your base fps allowed by the CPU happens regardless of resolution. So 20fps at 1080p is 20fps at 4k. 

Ah crap! So will I essentially need the likes of an Intel i5 in order to take advantage of the 1070? So basically a new motherboard, CPU and GPU?

Just now, jordandhs said:

Ah crap! So will I essentially need the likes of an Intel i5 in order to take advantage of the 1070? So basically a new motherboard, CPU and GPU?

Depends on the game. To be able to use a 1070 in any game you need a modern i7. But the times a i5 bottlenecks a 1070 are rare, and slight. So it comes down to cost. So you can watch which games you play, Overwatch for instance would be a bottleneck as it's CPU dependent. Or spend the money on a CPU that allows worry free gaming. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Depends on the game. To be able to use a 1070 in any game you need a modern i7. But the times a i5 bottlenecks a 1070 are rare, and slight. So it comes down to cost. So you can watch which games you play, Overwatch for instance would be a bottleneck as it's CPU dependent. Or spend the money on a CPU that allows worry free gaming. 

I see - Cheers! I had seen places saying all you really need for gaming is an i5. :( Cant imagine I'll have the wallet necessary for worry free gaming just yet! :P I might be best holding off for a few months and saving up until I can afford similar level CPU, GPU and motherboard all in one go.

42 minutes ago, App4that said:

Wrong. Well, actually not wrong,but HORRIBLE example. 

If he gets 60 fps at 1080p, but the gpu is being 50% bnecked, it means he is geting a huge bneck. But if he gets 60 fps at 1440p,the bneck wont be 50%, it will be 10%, so... minor bneck.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

3 minutes ago, Taja said:

If he gets 60 fps at 1080p, but the gpu is being 50% bnecked, it means he is geting a huge bneck. But if he gets 60 fps at 1440p,the bneck wont be 50%, it will be 10%, so... minor bneck.

Ah so you both agree that it will all depend on what the maximum base fps that the CPU which will depend on the game. After that the GPU will put out whatever fps it is capable of doing at a given resolution up to that maximum base fps of the CPU?

24 minutes ago, Taja said:

No. Thanks for playing but no. The reason people have the misconception that resolution helps a bottle neck is they don't lose frames going up in resolution. But you don't gain frames. 

17 minutes ago, jordandhs said:

Resolution impacts the graphics card more than the CPU, as the number of pixels increases. So in a severe bottle neck you'll see the same fps no matter the resolution until you meet the limit of the graphics card. 

54 minutes ago, App4that said:

No. Thanks for playing but no. The reason people have the misconception that resolution helps a bottle neck is they don't lose frames going up in resolution. But you don't gain frames. 

Thank you for proving you are wrong. Ofc you dont gain frames,but you lose less frames. Bneck is %, so the higher the res, the lesser the bneck

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

7 minutes ago, Taja said:

Thank you for proving you are wrong. Ofc you dont gain frames,but you lose less frames. Bneck is %, so the higher the res, the lesser the bneck

You're arguing semantics... 

The goal is fps, resolution has zero influence on gaining fps. Therefore you are not gaining fps by increasing the resolution. 

We are not talking about FPS,but about bottlenecking. If we were talking about fps, the OP had to say what is his "ideal fps". Because u can have a massive bottleneck and still have good fps, for example, if you pair an titan x with an fx 6300 and Go play Dota on 1080p.

It Will bottleneck? Hell yeah. The game will be playable with good fps? Hell yeah.

0 Bottleneck is about getting 100% of what you are paying: the gpu will get to its max. But you can have good experiences even with bottlenecks.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

35 minutes ago, Taja said:

We are not talking about FPS,but about bottlenecking. If we were talking about fps, the OP had to say what is his "ideal fps". Because u can have a massive bottleneck and still have good fps, for example, if you pair an titan x with an fx 6300 and Go play Dota on 1080p.

It Will bottleneck? Hell yeah. The game will be playable with good fps? Hell yeah.

0 Bottleneck is about getting 100% of what you are paying: the gpu will get to its max. But you can have good experiences even with bottlenecks.

No, just all the no. 

What you just said is you can buy 500 hamburgers for your family of 3, because even though the vast majority of hamburgers will go to waste, your family is no longer hungry.

Does that make any sense? Does buying a graphics card that will not be utilized properly, make any sense? Computers don't care about your feelings or opinions. Build one that's not properly balanced to see this first hand. Like much of life by making sure the system is properly balanced you will profit by being able to enjoy your investments you've made or will make in the software you choose to use. Use your bravado and buy a naval gun for a row boat, and I hope you took those swimming lessons. ;) 

3 hours ago, App4that said:

No, just all the no. 

What you just said is you can buy 500 hamburgers for your family of 3, because even though the vast majority of hamburgers will go to waste, your family is no longer hungry.

Does that make any sense? Does buying a graphics card that will not be utilized properly, make any sense? Computers don't care about your feelings or opinions. Build one that's not properly balanced to see this first hand. Like much of life by making sure the system is properly balanced you will profit by being able to enjoy your investments you've made or will make in the software you choose to use. Use your bravado and buy a naval gun for a row boat, and I hope you took those swimming lessons. ;) 

Well, i dont know if you are Just trying to be anoying or didnt understand what i said, but i wont waste more time with you.

Bottom line for OP:

Bottleneck in 1440p is lower than in 1080p, but that does NOT mean that you will get higher fps on 1440p (you WONT).

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

just get the 1070,u will do just fine,and upgrade to a better cpu  and motherboard as soon as u get the money for it . even tho its gonna bottleneck it,u will still be able to play whatever games u want to play...its still gonna be a major upgrade even bottlenecked,lol

btw,check ur psu,u might need a better one for a 1070

Will I have bneck with i3 6100 and sapphire rx460 2 gb and 8 gb ddr4 ram?

13 hours ago, jordandhs said:

yes that's pretty much how it works indeed.

So, as you increase the resolution the load on the GPU will grow...so in a way you would be reducing that ''bottleneck'' (gosh i hate that word)

That said, i had an FX-8320 myself and i had that overclocked to 4.6ghz and in some titles it could barely sustain a 30FPS rendering...i had it paired with a GTX 780 @1080p and in some games the CPU was already holding it back...so a GTX 1070...nahh that's not a good idea...even at 2560x1440 in some games you would run into noticeable CPU limitations... i would even say try to save up for an i7-4790K or i7-6700K or something...cause core i5 these days in some modern games are having a real work out already and the cores hit max load across the board which is not good cause it mean the CPU can't handle more...so if you plan using it for the next couple years...yeah...you see what i mean...meanwhile the i7 will cruise at 60-70% load like a porche on the highway.

3 hours ago, SouthBi4ch said:

that said...i agree with that user ^^ get the GPU anyways, 100% agree with this.

Goood luck!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

22 hours ago, SouthBi4ch said:

btw,check ur psu,u might need a better one for a 1070

Haha... At least then I can say I have a 1070 - even if I'm not using it properly! :P

I'm okay for PSU I think - got a Corsair 550W power supply because Id watched enough videos warning not to skimp on that. CPU is 95W so I'd assume Ill be okay with the 1070. Or could I be wrong on that?