Recommendations for a cheap DSLR for night shooting?

I've been thinking of a decent DSLR for under 500€. I have to save up probably for like a year or two to get enough money for it, but I just want to find out, what can you get for 500€ or less. I'm probably gonna buy it used (with shutter count less than 3000), but just recommend the cameras, please, not where to buy them (amazon, ebay etc.). I'l search for second-hand DSLRs that you've recommended.

What do I want / need:

-Preferably a kit (DSLR + lens)

-1080p video @ 30 fps at least

-Good night shooting capabilities without a tripod (moving a lot while taking photos at night). Gonna be both taking photos and shooting videos during night / in dark places

-Still have decent daylight shooting quality (but the night shooting is still the top priority)

What isn't necessary, but could help:

-Support for usage of IR-filters (again, for night shooting). I may get an IR light separately if not enough IR radiation during night

What I don't need / try to avoid using while night shooting:

-A tripod (got 2 of them already). Unless a tripod is a must-have for good quality night-time photos, not gonna use it. I'm ready to trade off some quality of the photos for a fast shutter speed, for less image noise etc. without a tripod.

-Separate camera flashes (integrated might have use, but not separate ones). I only try to use camera flash only when it's necessary.

Do I prefer Nikon or Canon DSLRs?: 

-I prefer Canon DSLRs, but I'm open for almost anything that fits in the 500€ price point.

Any ''special'' requests?:

-Able to withstand temperatures between 30 and -30 degrees celcius (not so special, but I'm a bit worried about cold photo shooting in winter, so does the camera function without problems between those temps?)

Why night shooting is so important?:

-I move outdoors mostly when it's dark (unless it's summer or I have some business to do that can't be done in the evenings). Also I have a lot of interest in shooing some photos in low-light conditions, but now it's rather poor due to my cheapo Aiptek AHD AF1 -camcorder (Shoot's terribly when it's not a bright day)

Now I've probably added enough info / requirements for the DSLR. I'm looking forward of seeing recommendations from you, who have a lot more knowledge about photography than I do. :)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I'd probably recommend a Nikon D5100 along with a 50mm 1.8G or the 35mm. The kit lenses aren't really good for low light shooting. Nikon also has better low light performance than the Canons in the same price point. It also has two IR sensors, I believe. Which can be quite handy. The only problem is you can't change the aperture while in live-view, you can find other remedies though. For example, you could use a Neutral Density filter to adjust the exposure without changing the aperture.

I'd probably recommend a Nikon D5100 along with a 50mm 1.8G or the 35mm. The kit lenses aren't really good for low light shooting. Nikon also has better low light performance than the Canons in the same price point. It also has two IR sensors, I believe. Which can be quite handy. The only problem is you can't change the aperture while in live-view, you can find other remedies though. For example, you could use a Neutral Density filter to adjust the exposure without changing the aperture.

I looked for that. As new it's around 450€ for just the DSLR, and with that price I could get a Canon EOS 600D DC kit (no idea what the ''DC'' stands for) with a 18 - 55mm lens, but it seem's to be better for low-light conditions. I'm looking for that D5100 if found for sale used.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

+1 for the D5100. Nikon rules the roost for noise control. Most of Canon's lineup in lower pricepoints sucks hardcore, as there are vastly better featured and priced options available. If you can get the D5100 at the price point, go for it, otherwise a D3100/3200 will be great. It's really important that you consider your lenses for low light shooting. Two words - FAST PRIMES. I wouldn't go for a lens slower than f2.8 (unless you're long exposing, in which case go for it) and try and stick to primes as generally they don't suffer from chromatic aberration and internal refraction (two things which can destroy night photos) as much as zooms. Also, vastly sharper, which will be important as you'll be using respectively slow shutter speeds.

I don't really think Canon or Nikon better each other in terms of ISO performance at this price point.

I would say Canon for video, but Nikon has some great lenses that won't hurt the pocket as much after getting the body. Nikons also have that pre-focusing bulb which is quite useful, although Canons with pop up flash can pre fire to lock on, it's a bit irritating though.

Really for low light, its all about the lenses and you should base the decision on the body you want on the range and price point of lenses available.

Could you give some more info on the type of shots you wanna take? Maybe provide some examples?

Then we can compare lenses from all the manufacturers to suit your needs and choose your body based on that.

Go with a 500d or a 550d in 2 years ehhhhhhh 650d will work 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point