Batteries for flashes

Zynch175

So until now I have been using alkaline batteries for my two flashes (nikon sb700), but I decided it would be time to switch to rechargeables to reduce the cost,since as far as I calculated based on the prices I would get the starting investment back in just a few recharge cycles. 

I would like to know which brands do you use, what capacities, etc. 

I would appreciate any recommendations on what to get. 

12 minutes ago, Zynch175 said:

So until now I have been using alkaline batteries for my two flashes (nikon sb700), but I decided it would be time to switch to rechargeables to reduce the cost,since as far as I calculated based on the prices I would get the starting investment back in just a few recharge cycles. 

I would like to know which brands do you use, what capacities, etc. 

I would appreciate any recommendations on what to get. 

if your talking about rechargable AAs then there all pretty reliable now tbh if you stick with a big brand duracell or energizer you cant really go wrong 

I lurk a lot

You should consider eneloop batteries, and if you want more capacity go for the eneloop pros.

4 Eneloops AA with Charger

4 Eneloop Pros AA with Charger

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

Eneloops are great, very highly recommended 

the usual GP, Duracell, Energizer are ok too

I have been using EBLs off amazon and they are great so far too

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have been considering Eneloop pros, but can anyone approximate how long they are going to last on one charge. 

4 hours ago, Zynch175 said:

I have been considering Eneloop pros, but can anyone approximate how long they are going to last on one charge. 

According to this site, around 260 shots with a 2600 mah battery, which sounds reasonable.  Hard to say exactly because it depends on the intensity of the flash when it fires, full power settings will drain the battery faster.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/camerareview/nikon-sb-700-af-speedlight-review/3/

Too bad, the SB700 doesn't seem like it can be powered by an external power unit.  I have SB 910 units with external power packs, but it's not like I am counting off how many shots I get with a fresh pack of batteries.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

33 minutes ago, ALwin said:

According to this site, around 260 shots with a 2600 mah battery, which sounds reasonable.  Hard to say exactly because it depends on the intensity of the flash when it fires, full power settings will drain the battery faster.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/camerareview/nikon-sb-700-af-speedlight-review/3/

Too bad, the SB700 doesn't seem like it can be powered by an external power unit.  I have SB 910 units with external power packs, but it's not like I am counting off how many shots I get with a fresh pack of batteries.

260 shots sounds enough for me on a single pack. 

Thank you for the info.

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Recharge-Rechargeable-Batteries-included/dp/B000GF2L7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471378676&sr=8-1&keywords=energizer+quick+charger

I
'd recommend this battery charger to anyone.  I use the DC and AC connection all the time, and being able to fully charge batteries on the way to a shoot (or in a quick wardrobe change) is awesome.

Anyway... I have use the 2400 mah batteries from Energizer (I get good deals on them from my local shop) and haven't had an issue with any of them, other than losing them cause I'm an idiot.

I use Enloops myself and torture the poor things (I take my camera out to construction sites...it's not normal for me to get the camera over 120F on the roof sometimes). They have a really nice quick recycle time on my Canon 430EXIII RT. I read online that the Enloop pros took longer to recharge the flash, but I'm not sure on how true that was...I just got the enloops because I have no problem carrying a lot of them and changing them out.