C++ Coding, EXE in a EXE?

mattonfire

I have a EXE file that I would like to include in my project that I am not able to get the source code from, is there a way I can implement the compiled exe file into my code, then compile it all together? Sounds extremely wacky I know :P

2 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

I have a EXE file that I would like to include in my project that I am not able to get the source code from, is there a way I can implement the compiled exe file into my code, then compile it all together? Sounds extremely wacky I know :P

No - sadly that is not possible. You will need a header file along with the .cpp file or a .lib library file. When you include the header file, I believe the compiler/linker searches for the library / source file with the same name, and takes only the definitions of the functions you have used in your program. An exe file cannot be parsed by the compiler/linker as it doesn't conform to the above necessities. Good luck with your program! :)

Nothing to see here ;)

Just now, Anand_Geforce said:

No - sadly that is not possible. You will need a header file along with the .cpp file or a .lib library file. When you include the header file, I believe the compiler/linker searches for the library / source file with the same name, and takes only the definitions of the functions you have used in your program. An exe file cannot be parsed by the compiler/linker as it doesn't conform to the above necessities. Good luck with your program! :)

Is there a way of decompiling a exe file then?

8 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

Is there a way of decompiling a exe file then?

Technically yes, you can kind of do that using something called reverse-engineering using specialized software tools. But if it isn't an open-source application, it's illegal to reverse-engineer it. But if it is open-source, you can obviously get the source files from the relevant website with dignity! :)

Nothing to see here ;)

Just now, Anand_Geforce said:

Technically yes, you can kind of do that using something called reverse-engineering using specialized software tools. But if it isn't an open-source application, it's illegal to reverse-engineer it. But if it is open-source, you can obviously get the source files from the relevant website with dignity! :)

Well, it said it was opensource so I was expecting a zip with C files but no.. it gave me a compiled exe file which bugged me.

2 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

Well, it said it was opensource so I was expecting a zip with C files but no.. it gave me a compiled exe file which bugged me.

Can you link me to the webpage of the specific version of the product?

Nothing to see here ;)

1 minute ago, Anand_Geforce said:

It was quite a while ago now but it was chromium. I got the exe I just want to make a launcher for it. So I can launch it at school without admin privilages.

4 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

It was quite a while ago now but it was chromium. I got the exe I just want to make a launcher for it. So I can launch it at school without admin privilages.

Can't it be accomplished with a simple batch file? Just asking...

Nothing to see here ;)

4 minutes ago, Anand_Geforce said:

Batch files are banned at our school for "Hazardous programs" so are VBS and PowerShell.

1 minute ago, mattonfire said:

Batch files are banned at our school for "Hazardous programs" so are VBS and PowerShell.

Can't you also use system() from within a normal c++ program?

Nothing to see here ;)

2 minutes ago, Anand_Geforce said:

Can't you also use system() from within a normal c++ program?

I guess, haven't tried that. I heard system() isn't good to use lots of times in one code.

Just now, mattonfire said:

I guess, haven't tried that. I heard system() isn't good to use lots of times in one code.

It's just a little sluggish - not good for realtime applications, but is not a problem for creating launchers...

Nothing to see here ;)

31 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

It is possible. Put the entire contents of the EXE file in a char array. (Write a tool to automate this). The array will be loaded to memory when your program is loaded and all you need then is a way to execute a image in memory rather then from file.

It's rather complicated and I've never attempted it but it seems this guy wrote a function to do exactly that: http://www.rohitab.com/discuss/topic/31681-c-run-program-from-memory-and-not-file/

7 minutes ago, Anand_Geforce said:

It's just a little sluggish - not good for realtime applications, but is not a problem for creating launchers...

Alright, I'll give it a try.

2 hours ago, Anand_Geforce said:

Its more than a little sluggish. It's a big security risk. The application that System() attempts to launch an executable can be replaced with any executable that has the same name. So a malicious program could disguise it self as your secondary exe by simply taking its name and cause all sorts of horrible things when your application is started. 

TL;DR Don't use System() for anything.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

10 hours ago, mattonfire said:

Alright, I'll give it a try.

Give @trag1c's post a read... system() is much more stupid than I thought. But there is also another way....

Nothing to see here ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 14.8.2016 at 4:09 PM, mattonfire said:

git clone https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/chromium