PC shutting down when under load.

Go to solution Solved by SageOfSpice,

If your monitor is physically powering down, then I'd be more inclined to believe it has to do with power fluctuations within your home.

I'm facing another issue with my new build. It's suddenly shutting down (Restarting) when under load.

Symptoms: 

1) Monitor lost electricity 3 times while PC was still running

2) PC shutting down suddenly after 5-10 minutes of Battlefield 4 with MSI afterburner (Happened 4 times)

3) Monitor stays running but PC stalls

4) Did benchmarking but PC didn't stall (I think because it runs for short time)

While

1) BIOS isn't on energy saving (It's on 'Asus Optimal' / Performance mode)

2) No electric fluctuations in my whole home

3) PC has faced power cutoffs recently

4) PC is 2 months old, This issue has never happened before!

5) Have 500w PSU (Of not so good brand) and Cooler Master says Load voltage is 389w and recommends 439w PSU

6) Nothing is overclocked

7) I've tried running the PC on Inverter (UPS) as well as Mains

8) Temperatures are: CPU: 64 GPU: 70 (degree Celsius under load) 

I'm suspicious about following things:

1) Electricity- I've no stabiliser. PC is currently running on inverter (Full Home UPS)

2) PSU is degrading

3) Power cutoff could've damaged something

4) I've 8 pin and 24 pin 12V extension cables (good quality) (but never faced any issue with 'em till today)

I'm so worried about it. Please help. Thanks!

Screenshot (24).png

So if your monitor stays on while your PC shuts down and its on the same circuit, we can reasonably assume its not your electricity causing it. You will likely need a different PSU as like you said, its not of a good brand. Upgrade your PSU to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 PSU out of the PSU Tier list thread in my signature and it will likely resolve your issue. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

If your monitor is physically powering down, then I'd be more inclined to believe it has to do with power fluctuations within your home.

3 hours ago, Poohl said:

I assume it's the PSU.

To be sure check the Voltages using for example HWMonitior.

3 hours ago, SageOfSpice said:

3 hours ago, legacy99 said:

So if your monitor stays on while your PC shuts down and its on the same circuit, we can reasonably assume its not your electricity causing it. You will likely need a different PSU as like you said, its not of a good brand. Upgrade your PSU to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 PSU out of the PSU Tier list thread in my signature and it will likely resolve your issue. 

I've no idea if it's useful to prove but, I tried running my laptop on 'desktop mode' and ran some heavy games like DiRT3, GTA4 (it can't run BF4) but it didn't stall/restarted/died. Also tried running my TV+Home theater system (power hungry) with dishwasher and water bore motor. Everything was running without fluctuation.

Now I think it's the SMPS.

I contacted my PC dealer and he's also 99% sure its the s*itty SMPS. -_-

Now if it's time to upgrade, How much wattage should I get?

(He's selling Cooler Master)

Also Do I need to get a Stabilizer and/or a UPS? Electricity here is horrible and unpredictable.

6 minutes ago, marshmallowbam said:

what is your ram percentage while running the game?

Welp... Haven't checked! 

Just now, ON27 said:

Welp... Haven't checked! 

give that a check. if your running at above 85% that would be my best guess even at 85% a sudden jump in graphics or bloom effects could take its toll... also make sure your graphics card is in the pci/e 16x slot (closest to your cpu) and not the x8 slot. although it could be your psu, by the way what make and model is your psu.

Brandon Marsh

22 minutes ago, marshmallowbam said:

give that a check. if your running at above 85% that would be my best guess even at 85% a sudden jump in graphics or bloom effects could take its toll... also make sure your graphics card is in the pci/e 16x slot (closest to your cpu) and not the x8 slot. although it could be your psu, by the way what make and model is your psu.

I don't think it pumps that much up.

I can't check because PC stalls while gaming. (I'll still try)

GPU is in 16x PCIe

PSU: Circle 500w (It came with my old case, I upgraded the case and kept the PSU)

http://www.amazon.in/Circle-APFC-Gaming-cabinet-Server/dp/B00R07GFS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471187673&sr=8-1&keywords=Circle+500w

My RAM has a completely different story...

The power supply just might be your issue. It's problably rated for peak tdp and not continuous. plus the fact it states 82% efficiency but yet it has no 80+ bronze or gold certification. I would get a new power supply immediately. Im using a 750w EVGA 80+gold fully modular right now. It's severe overkill for my system but its more reliable and it was only 70$ US. as opposed to 69.99 us for a 450w non modular with no certifications. you might want to invest in it also im not sure how much they go for around there though. Also looking at your ram in the task manager keep an eye on it. where it says "In Use" look to the right of it for the compressed amount it should never go above 150MB. if it does you're having issues meaning that one of the DIMM slots is bad or your RAM is slowly dying.

Brandon Marsh

3 hours ago, marshmallowbam said:

The power supply just might be your issue. It's problably rated for peak tdp and not continuous. plus the fact it states 82% efficiency but yet it has no 80+ bronze or gold certification. I would get a new power supply immediately. Im using a 750w EVGA 80+gold fully modular right now. It's severe overkill for my system but its more reliable and it was only 70$ US. as opposed to 69.99 us for a 450w non modular with no certifications. you might want to invest in it also im not sure how much they go for around there though. Also looking at your ram in the task manager keep an eye on it. where it says "In Use" look to the right of it for the compressed amount it should never go above 150MB. if it does you're having issues meaning that one of the DIMM slots is bad or your RAM is slowly dying.

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and it said "No errors detected"

Screenshot (37).png

8 hours ago, legacy99 said:

8 hours ago, SageOfSpice said:

8 hours ago, Poohl said:

I assume it's the PSU.

To be sure check the Voltages using for example HWMonitior.

4 hours ago, marshmallowbam said:

what is your ram percentage while running the game?

I tried BF4 again (For around 2-3 Mins) and closed before stalling PC

Also I removed and installed RAM sticks... Modified section didn't went ahead of 146MB while running many apps in bg.

Here're Afterburner graphs

Screenshot (38).png

Screenshot (39).png

Screenshot (40).png

yeah, your power supply is failing horribly. you should never hit your volt or watt limit. that 82% efficiency is crap on their web page. if anything just throw another one in there thats 500 watts. its not reccommended by any means but you could hook a second power supply up to only the graphics card till you get a new one. Anything to take the load off of that one.

Brandon Marsh

Mmmm, may I ask what PSU you have? 

I would suggest RWA that PSU and get a higher graded PSU. :) 

Good luck!

any old PSU will work so long as it can handle the GPU under load, this can be a temporary measure till you get a new PSU

do it like Austin in scrapyard wars bridge the one handling the GPU and Austin is your uncle

#GodDamitAustin!!

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

2 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

any old PSU will work so long as it can handle the GPU under load, this can be a temporary measure till you get a new PSU

do it like Austin in scrapyard wars bridge the one handling the GPU and Austin is your uncle

#GodDamitAustin!!

for about a year i had my computer set up like that then i upgraded my power supply and not even 2 weeks later that episode came out and im just like wtf.... i thought I was original... NOOOOO lmao

Brandon Marsh

16 minutes ago, marshmallowbam said:

for about a year i had my computer set up like that then i upgraded my power supply and not even 2 weeks later that episode came out and im just like wtf.... i thought I was original... NOOOOO lmao

its been done loads of times before 

8 hours ago, marshmallowbam said:

yeah, your power supply is failing horribly. you should never hit your volt or watt limit. that 82% efficiency is crap on their web page. if anything just throw another one in there thats 500 watts. its not reccommended by any means but you could hook a second power supply up to only the graphics card till you get a new one. Anything to take the load off of that one.

6 hours ago, A User said:

Mmmm, may I ask what PSU you have? 

I would suggest RWA that PSU and get a higher graded PSU. :) 

Good luck!

6 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

#GodDamitAustin!!

I'll get a better and quality PSU!

What PSU to get? Modular/Semi/Std and what power?!

(I've ordered a SSD too)

I contacted my dealer yesterday, he suggested a 650w Cooler Master. (Didn't told a specific model) He'll get back to me tomorrow.

He'll take the current PSU with him and give me the one I'll order.

I'm also looking at other brands on internet.

I feel like an idiot to keep a low quality PSU with my $2,500 Rig -_-  well I actually am. xD

before ordering a new PSU,

1. check how much watts the system uses under load, say if i had a system that used 350 watts under peek load, would get a 375-400 watt PSU to handle the system, 80+, maybe 80+ bronze 

2. get the appropriate connectors for your system, e.g do your research!

3. make sure it's a brand you trust

4. never take recommendations from dealers they tend to sell you things you don't need for extra $$$

5. look at PSU reviews at review websites, not just LTT, try http://www.jonnyguru.com/ great PSU reviews and literally have almost every PSU in existence in their archives/posts e.g  Kingwin Absolute Power 520W - ABT-520CW FROM F*CKING Jul-01-2006

6 hours ago, ON27 said:

I'll get a better and quality PSU!

What PSU to get? Modular/Semi/Std and what power?!

(I've ordered a SSD too)

I contacted my dealer yesterday, he suggested a 650w Cooler Master. (Didn't told a specific model) He'll get back to me tomorrow.

He'll take the current PSU with him and give me the one I'll order.

I'm also looking at other brands on internet.

I feel like an idiot to keep a low quality PSU with my $2,500 Rig -_-  well I actually am. xD

5 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

1. check how much watts the system uses under load, say if i had a system that used 350 watts under peek load, would get a 375-400 watt PSU to handle the system, 80+, maybe 80+ bronze 

4. never take recommendations from dealers they tend to sell you things you don't need for extra $$$

5. look at PSU reviews at review websites, not just LTT, try http://www.jonnyguru.com/ great PSU reviews and literally have almost every PSU in existence in their archives/posts e.g  Kingwin Absolute Power 520W - ABT-520CW FROM F*CKING Jul-01-2006

i agree with you there. however since he said he had issues with unreliable power consumption it might be in his best interest to go with a 80+ gold. personally i usually go with either a corsair or EVGA power supply, since EVGA is essentially a relabled corsair just a little cheaper, as for what type to get that is completely up to you. if you want it to look clean on the inside i'd go with a fully modular if you can afford it, or even a semi. Standard power supplies generally dont have 80+ certifications i dont think. if you want to get a large enough power supply and not have to worry about anything but still stay on the cheap side you should be good with about a 550w.

Brandon Marsh

your monitor might not be plugged in fully to the power cord. as for the pc, i think its overheating. did you apply enough thermal paste if you built the system yourself?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

12 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

7 hours ago, marshmallowbam said:

i agree with you there. however since he said he had issues with unreliable power consumption it might be in his best interest to go with a 80+ gold. personally i usually go with either a corsair or EVGA power supply, since EVGA is essentially a relabled corsair just a little cheaper, as for what type to get that is completely up to you. if you want it to look clean on the inside i'd go with a fully modular if you can afford it, or even a semi. Standard power supplies generally dont have 80+ certifications i dont think. if you want to get a large enough power supply and not have to worry about anything but still stay on the cheap side you should be good with about a 550w.

I'm planning about a good branded 650w power supply with 80+ (Silver/gold) rating and Modular (semi/fully) form. Also a PC UPS to get security from fluctuation and cutoff! Will see what models are in the market today morning. (My country has serious issues with keeping good products -_-)

7 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

your monitor might not be plugged in fully to the power cord. as for the pc, i think its overheating. did you apply enough thermal paste if you built the system yourself?

Temps are normal (°C)

Room: 22-25

CPU: Idle 28 Load 64

GPU: Idle 35 Load 70.

Cords are well plugged and I tried different switches too.

WP_20160811_21_31_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20160811_21_31_46_Pro.jpg

what i did if a system was overheating was using a fan (not a pc one) and cooling the computer while i troubleshooted it

probably first one to use that method