How to apply Thermal Paste on a GPU

I have an old GTX 460 SE i had it for a year already the paste on the card is dead dry. i cleant it off with isopropyl alcohol waiting until tues for my z5 deepcool thermal paste to come, how should i apply it i seen linus is video saying the line / dot method works i want to know the best working way. NO i will not replace my gpu i do not do hardcore gaming i am fine with the card i have. :)) I was told the dot works only for the cpu. is that true?!?!

1 minute ago, danrey84 said:

I have heard apply it like a single grain of cooked rice. 

Im looking for the a serious answer not a troll answer 

That is a serious answer. They say if u imagine a single grain of cooked rice then apply that amount of thermal paste. 

8 minutes ago, callofjustices said:

That is a serious answer. You can also apply it to the CPU Anyway you want, I prefer line 5 Small dots to ensure it gets everywhere.

The main thing about GPUs is what shape is the die, if it's a square, use a dot if it's a rectangle use a line. Because fermi use rectangular IHS, use a larger line.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

My fault i dont speak good english :c is there any way u guys can show me a picture ? 

3 minutes ago, callofjustices said:

put thermal paste until the gpu die is coverd in a little bit thick layer. and dont use conductive thermal paste! if you use conducting ur gpu will fry up! only use non-conductive thermal paste. and dont be scared that oh god so much paste! even the manufactuers put alot of hermal paste!

Is the thermal compound electrically conductive? If so, make sure to not put it on the transistors. But if its not conductive, you should be pretty generous with the paste, the normal dot method doesn't work on gpus because theres already a heat spreader on cpus so it allows for a little bit of surface not in contact with the heatsink. However, for a gpu, the die is directly touching the heatsink, you have to make sure every last bit of the die comes in contact with the thermal paste. I would recommend the line and dot method but keep in mind that use a little bit more than what you would use on a cpu. The finger application method is also adept if you make sure there are no air bubbles. :D

1 minute ago, Wu_david said:

Is the thermal compound electrically conductive? If so, make sure to not put it on the transistors. But if its not conductive, you should be pretty generous with the paste, the dot method doesn't work on gpus because theres already a heat spreader on cpus so it allows for a little bit of surface not in contact with the heatsink. However, for a gpu, the die is directly touching the heatsink, you have to make sure every last bit of the die comes in contact with the thermal paste. I would recommend the line and dot method but keep in mind that use a little bit more than what you would use on a cpu. The finger application method is also adept if you make sure there are no air bubbles. :D

Actually, on fermi there is a heatspreader on the GPU.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

XD, never really used fermi based gpus. Sorry for the misconception. 

11 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

I have heard apply it like a single grain of cooked rice. 

This is for the CPU. For the gpu it's better to have more paste. 

Check this around the 10th minute 

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

2 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

Here is a video. Enjoy 

this is for cpus, for gpus its completely different, always put a little more on gpus. However, dont DROWN the die in paste, its gonna end up insulating the heat on the die.

Thanks guys :) great community unlike toms hardware fill with 11 year olds and retards who have no knowledge what so ever. :) thanks once again

6 minutes ago, msvelev said:

This is for the CPU. For the gpu it's better to have more paste. 

Check this around the 10th minute 

great method so its the star method  

I think with subjects like this everyone has their own ways and methods which have served them best. All I would say is don't put loads on but also don't put too little on too. I think everyone would agree on that. 

You'll be applying considerably less than you'd apply to a CPU, so pretty much the rice method, but on a smaller scale. Like half a grain of rice, but cut length wise, not width wise.

When you're reassemling, it's easier to seat the PCB onto the cooler than it is to seat the cooler onto the PCB, because you can look through the mounting holes to line up the studs.

When you go to tighten it, tighten it criss-cross, and a little bit at a time. This will ensure that the paste spreads evenly.

2 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

I think with subjects like this everyone has their own ways and methods which have served them best. All I would say is don't put loads on but also don't put too little on too. I think everyone would agree on that. 

So the star method :) lol 

1 hour ago, SageOfSpice said:

You'll be applying considerably less than you'd apply to a CPU, so pretty much the rice method, but on a smaller scale. Like half a grain of rice, but cut length wise, not width wise.

When you're reassemling, it's easier to seat the PCB onto the cooler than it is to seat the cooler onto the PCB, because you can look through the mounting holes to line up the studs.

When you go to tighten it, tighten it criss-cross, and a little bit at a time. This will ensure that the paste spreads evenly.

Why would he apply less paste than on a cpu? 

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900