NZD PC Build

iKl9kca

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A NZ (New Zealand) BUILD

i have a 1500 (2200-2300 With a monitor(s)) NZD Budget - ram was free and i got a i5-6600 free, do i sell the 6600 and try get a K? also would you change anything about this build?

http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/3fP9NN

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($50.00) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($63.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($224.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($0.00) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($127.02 @ Wiseguys) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($118.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390X 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($550.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($169.95 @ Computer Lounge) 
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($158.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Monitor: AOC G2460PF 24.0" 144Hz Monitor  ($497.58 @ Ascent Technology) 
Monitor: Dell E2416H 24.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($243.42 @ Aquila Technology) 
Total: $2200.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-14 19:36 NZST+1200

Also is there cheaper parts ^^^ on ebay of what i listed above (Should i look into ebay or is it not worth the risk)?

31 minutes ago, iKl9kca said:

Snip

Before I can tell you if you've made a wise investment, or If there are better areas for you to spend your money in, I need to know the purpose of this rig. are you trying to build a gaming machine? productivity? HTPC?

21 minutes ago, iKl9kca said:

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A NZ (New Zealand) BUILD

i have a 1500 (2200-2300 With a monitor(s)) NZD Budget - ram was free and i got a i5-6600 free, do i sell the 6600 and try get a K? also would you change anything about this build?

http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/3fP9NN

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($50.00) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($63.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($224.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($127.02 @ Wiseguys) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($118.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390X 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($550.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($169.95 @ Computer Lounge) 
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($158.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Monitor: AOC G2460PF 24.0" 144Hz Monitor  ($497.58 @ Ascent Technology) 
Monitor: Dell E2416H 24.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($243.42 @ Aquila Technology) 
Total: $2200.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-14 19:36 NZST+1200

Also is there cheaper parts ^^^ on ebay of what i listed above (Should i look into ebay or is it not worth the risk)?

Good build, nothing I would really change. How much do you think you could get from selling you 6600? If you cant get most of the retail price, I would just take the savings and get a H170 motherboard and stick with the stock cooler. That could save to several hundred for minimal performance loss, except for CPU intensive games where OC'ing helps. I would recommend trying to get you GPU from Newegg as that can save alot even with expensive shipping (Just check you international shipping tax laws). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, Zyndo said:

Before I can tell you if you've made a wise investment, or If there are better areas for you to spend your money in, I need to know the purpose of this rig. are you trying to build a gaming machine? productivity? HTPC?

Gaming and school (Note the CPU + Ram was free)

3 minutes ago, iKl9kca said:

Gaming and school (Note the CPU + Ram was free)

Thats pretty much what I figured... Looked like one anyway.

Well, I'm just going to go down the list and critique your various choices here and offer several alternatives in areas. I understand prices can be pretty wack where you live so if I offer some suggestions that just don't line up budget wise I apologize.

When it comes to your CPU, if you expect to get 144Hz (based on your monitor choice) then you will likely need to get a 6600k. There will be many games on the market today that will have a hard time getting there even with that. Obviously this wouldn't apply to MOBA's or light FPS games, so if that is all you're doing then you may not need the K skew, but if its not too much more for you, it would be a worthwhile investment. If you're okay with 100 fps or lower, then a 6600 is all you need. Your choice of motherboard should be between Z170 and H170 with your budget, and that decision will be made on what you decide to do with your processor. Your choice of a Micro ATX motherboard in the Define S may look a bit weird/empty, but other than that there is no performance or compatibility issues to be had here.

For your memory, its WAYYYY overkill on the capacity side. No idea who gave you those things for free, but you lucked out. You could sell 1 of those kits, or 3 of those sticks if you wanted. 16GB of RAM is way more than any system would use for gaming or schoolwork. 8GB is really all anyone needs right now (assuming you use it wisely). 16GB is for those who have the budget and just want extra headroom. more than that is just there for bragging rights in your workload.

Your choice of SSD isn't particularly fast. Its still MUCH faster than a HDD, but as far as SSD's go, there are faster options. The A-Data SP550 is slightly fasater, a bit more consistent, and is less expensive (in the states at least). If you want a properly fast SSD, consider getting the Samsung 850 EVO. Its going to cost a fair bit more, but it has the performance to match its pricetag. That all being said, for a gaming rig the V300 is fast enough. If that is what is affordable and available where you live, then that isn't a bad choice.

I'm sure the story is the same for your GPU. RX 480 or GTX 1060 would be better cards to have for this computer (and the RX480/1060 should be similarly priced). But I have no idea what the prices are like in your area. It may be worth finding a used GTX 980 to buy as it will be better than your 390X and probably much cheaper. And with the release of those newer GPU's there may be some arriving on the used market for you.

Love the case =)

When it comes to your PSU I would suggest getting a higher quality unit. They are decent, but if you intend on doing overclocking, there will be better PSU's out there for you. If you don't end up overclocking its a fine unit, although it looks rather expensive. If you intend on overclocking, you should try to aim for something T1 or T2 from this list. If you aren't, you can get away with anything T3 or T4 on this list (you may even be able to get away with lower, but I wouldn't recommend it in most situations)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/#comment-8149083

Monitors are monitors. They come with refresh rates, response times, and panel types. So long as you understand these 3 things and know what they mean, then you can't really buy a "wrong" monitor. I assume you chose those ones for specific reasons so they're probably fine.

1 hour ago, iKl9kca said:

Think you can scrounge up another $77 AUD? http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/user/D2ultima/saved/cZPmP6

I got you a case that should be similar in functionality, a better (and larger) SSD for your OS, a much more reliable HDD, a better power supply, and a better (and cheaper) video card.

Also, would you be willing to sell your RAM and get 16GB or 32GB of better RAM? Because your current RAM chosen is garbage, and there's no way you're gonna use 64GB for school and gaming.

I would also like to change your CPU cooler out for a better one and tell you to get an overclockable CPU and overclock, but that one's up to you.

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

If you want a properly fast SSD, consider getting the Samsung 850 EVO. Its going to cost a fair bit more, but it has the performance to match its pricetag.

Funnily enough, I found a 250GB 850 EVO using NZ PCPP for only $21 more than the 120GB he chose.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Just now, Zyndo said:

Thats pretty much what I figured... Looked like one anyway.

Well, I'm just going to go down the list and critique your various choices here and offer several alternatives in areas. I understand prices can be pretty wack where you live so if I offer some suggestions that just don't line up budget wise I apologize.

When it comes to your CPU, if you expect to get 144Hz (based on your monitor choice) then you will likely need to get a 6600k. There will be many games on the market today that will have a hard time getting there even with that. Obviously this wouldn't apply to MOBA's or light FPS games, so if that is all you're doing then you may not need the K skew, but if its not too much more for you, it would be a worthwhile investment. If you're okay with 100 fps or lower, then a 6600 is all you need. Your choice of motherboard should be between Z170 and H170 with your budget, and that decision will be made on what you decide to do with your processor. Your choice of a Micro ATX motherboard in the Define S may look a bit weird/empty, but other than that there is no performance or compatibility issues to be had here.

For your memory, its WAYYYY overkill on the capacity side. No idea who gave you those things for free, but you lucked out. You could sell 1 of those kits, or 3 of those sticks if you wanted. 16GB of RAM is way more than any system would use for gaming or schoolwork. 8GB is really all anyone needs right now (assuming you use it wisely). 16GB is for those who have the budget and just want extra headroom. more than that is just there for bragging rights in your workload.

Your choice of SSD isn't particularly fast. Its still MUCH faster than a HDD, but as far as SSD's go, there are faster options. The A-Data SP550 is slightly fasater, a bit more consistent, and is less expensive (in the states at least). If you want a properly fast SSD, consider getting the Samsung 850 EVO. Its going to cost a fair bit more, but it has the performance to match its pricetag. That all being said, for a gaming rig the V300 is fast enough. If that is what is affordable and available where you live, then that isn't a bad choice.

I'm sure the story is the same for your GPU. RX 480 or GTX 1060 would be better cards to have for this computer (and the RX480/1060 should be similarly priced). But I have no idea what the prices are like in your area. It may be worth finding a used GTX 980 to buy as it will be better than your 390X and probably much cheaper. And with the release of those newer GPU's there may be some arriving on the used market for you.

Love the case =)

When it comes to your PSU I would suggest getting a higher quality unit. They are decent, but if you intend on doing overclocking, there will be better PSU's out there for you. If you don't end up overclocking its a fine unit, although it looks rather expensive. If you intend on overclocking, you should try to aim for something T1 or T2 from this list. If you aren't, you can get away with anything T3 or T4 on this list (you may even be able to get away with lower, but I wouldn't recommend it in most situations)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/#comment-8149083

Monitors are monitors. They come with refresh rates, response times, and panel types. So long as you understand these 3 things and know what they mean, then you can't really buy a "wrong" monitor. I assume you chose those ones for specific reasons so they're probably fine.

Hey thanks for this, i choose the 390X due to it being the same price as a 480 and 1060 but better performance from what i gather? also the 64GB i wanted to make a ram disk tho im not 100% on this, Again thanks for your input.

9 hours ago, iKl9kca said:

Hey thanks for this, i choose the 390X due to it being the same price as a 480 and 1060 but better performance from what i gather? also the 64GB i wanted to make a ram disk tho im not 100% on this, Again thanks for your input.

Okay, RAMDISK is a cool idea. its something to play around with since you have that much capacity anyway.

When it comes to the GPU however, the 390X is not a better GPU than the 1060. Period. When it comes to the 480, the 390X will beat it in some titles and lose to it in a few others based on what I've seen (as far as raw FPS goes anyway). Not sure why that is, probably poor driver optimization since the 480 is so new, but it would be fair to say that on average these 2 cards are pretty close. But that is ONLY when talking about DX11. when it comes to DX12/Vulkan then the 480 is going to mop the floor with the 390X.

You can get the 390X if you want, but if it were my money I would get a 1060. If you're a fan of team red, then you should get an RX 480.

I would keep the i5-6600 as overclocking will not make that big a difference. Put the savings towards a better psu. Perhaps  SeaSonic SSR-550RMCorsair RM550xSeaSonic SSR-650RMCorsair RM650x, or the too large but excellent  EVGA SuperNOVA 750.

If the memory is free, keep it. It has decent performance and more memory provides much better overall system performance than less, but faster memory.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, brob said:

If the memory is free, keep it. It has decent performance and more memory provides much better overall system performance than less, but faster memory.

That isn't really true... so long as you have enough, then your system performs well. If you run out, then your system performs poorly. But if you're using 10GB of RAM, having 16GB or 64GB makes absolutely no difference. Having 8GB of RAM and needing to use 10GB can be devastating though, no matter how fast your RAM is, so you're right on that.

7 hours ago, Zyndo said:

That isn't really true... so long as you have enough, then your system performs well. If you run out, then your system performs poorly. But if you're using 10GB of RAM, having 16GB or 64GB makes absolutely no difference. Having 8GB of RAM and needing to use 10GB can be devastating though, no matter how fast your RAM is, so you're right on that.

Of course it is true. The situations described in the quote use particular snapshots . . . moments in time. But even at a moment in time, what is "enough"? Just because a system can function well with 8GB, does not mean that it will not be able to perform much better with 16GB and perhaps a touch better than that with 32GB. This is because programs tend to take advantage of extra memory when it is available. As does the o/s and many drivers. And over the course of several years history shows that minimum memory requirements grow.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.