[SOLVED] USB Flash Drive Error: "Please insert disk into E:"

Go to solution Solved by TechJ,

If you do not need any data try this.

CMD > Diskpart > list disk > select disk (Your number) > clean > select disk (same again) > create partition primary

Windows should then ask you to format it

Hopefully this helps

I currently have a Patriot 8GB USB flash drive that has worked fine for the past few months. The amazon listing can be found here (https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-8GB-Pulse-Flash-Drive/dp/B00842689I/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&srs=2530102011&ie=UTF8&qid=1471111348&sr=1-10&keywords=Patriot+8GB).

However, today when I went to use the drive into my PC, I came across an error with the drive. When I go to open the drive in Windows Explorer, I get an error that says "Please insert a disk into E:". I cannot access any of the files of the drive, and multiple repair methods have not worked. Also, when going to format the drive, I get a message that says "Windows was unable to complete the format."

error.pngerror2.png

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :D

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

Usually when I have this issue I restart my PC, plug the flash drive into my laptop, and then plug it back into my PC and it works fine.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

My Toshiba flash drive behaved like this. It was dead even after I tried low level formatting and 5 different software programs. 

Look into Disk Management and see if you can format it there. If not, try formatting it on something running a Linux distro, I've found that tends to work if Windows can't get it running. Something like Ubuntu would tell you if it has bad sectors on it or not. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

CMD > Diskpart > list disk > select disk (Your number) > clean > select disk (same again) > create partition primary

Hopefully this helps

20 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Usually when I have this issue I restart my PC, plug the flash drive into my laptop, and then plug it back into my PC and it works fine.

Plugged the USB stick into my laptop and received the same error. However, after my PC had restarted, I was no longer receiving the "Please insert disk" error, but I could still not use the drive and windows still could not format it.

15 minutes ago, TechJ said:

Hopefully this helps

All of the data on this USB drive was backed up to other places (due to a previous data loss experience), so I tried this and it worked. Thanks a bunch!

18 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

My Toshiba flash drive behaved like this. It was dead even after I tried low level formatting and 5 different software programs. 

Look into Disk Management and see if you can format it there. If not, try formatting it on something running a Linux distro, I've found that tends to work if Windows can't get it running. Something like Ubuntu would tell you if it has bad sectors on it or not. 

Thanks for the suggestion, would have used this as an excuse to finally dual boot Windows and Linux on my PC, but the above method worked. I still need to get around to doing that one day.....

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White