RetroPie -- Scrapyard Wars suggestion

Duane

I put together a RetroPie using a Raspberry Pi 3. Used old pallets and job-site scavenged wood for the cabinet. Bought an old monitor, paid twelve bucks for an amplifier, some spray paint, and paid for joysticks and buttons. The total cost was less than 150 (and could have been lower than that) and I'm thinking that it's about as scrappy a project as you could do.

I've attached a picture. I'm sure you could do better, but could you worse? That's a Scrapyard Wars I'd love to see.

2016-08-11 11.55.20.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, this is awesome. They should do more with Raspberry Pi and or Retropie anyway i feel, but you could do a minimal budget full or half arcade setup scrapyard wars !
Then not only grade it on performance, but also on build quality and theming/looks.
Wouldn't cost very much at all, the setup can be done different ways, do you go buttons or controller, wired or wireless, wireless controllers would really eat up your budget leaving you scraps for the arcade cabinet. Which is doable but calls for more ingenuity/originality.

Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF
Socket 1150 LGA
Intel(R) Core(TM) Haswell i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz
2x4Gb HyperX DDR3
2x8Gb HyperX DDR3
For a total of 24Gb (I love having lots of windows and Tabs open)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2Gb GDDR5
Kingston SSDNow S300 240Gb
Seagate Barracuda 4Tb ST4000DM005
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Acer 23,8" G246HYL
Samsung 46" LE46D650
Yes, this was just Budget Best Bang for your Buck Runner up about 3 years ago.

That's amazing! Certainly better than my crappy RPi 2 held in a piece of plastic played by a mini-keyboard! It'd be awesome to see the LTT team go up against each other and see who could make the best throwback machine!

Take life with a slice of PI.

`````````````````````                                           
                                ``````````` ````............``` ````````````                               
                          .```````.,,,``.,,,,,,...:::..``...,,,,,,.``.:,.`````````                         
                     ````` .:,`,:,```````````.::::::::::,````````````````,:,`.:. ``````                    
                 ``````,.,,.`````````````,`::::::::::'++#      ````````````````.,.`,. `````                
              `````,.,.````````````  `.,::::::::::::';++#                ```````````.,`,`````.             
           .````,.,````````````     ,:::::::::;;:;:::::,;.                ::. ``````````,...````.          
        ```` :..```````````    .,:::::::::#'++####++::::::::::.```        #::::. ``````````..,`````        
      `````,,```````````      :::::::::::::::;+++####++;;:::::::::::,,,,,;:::::::   ``````````,`.````      
     ````:,```````````       :::::;;+;+:::::::::::#+##+#+++#'';::::::::::::::::::,    ``````````,.`````    
    `````.```````````      `.;::::+++++++++:;:::::::::'#####+#+++'':;::::::::;'+++      `````````,`:````   
   ````````````````      `...;;;:::++++++++++++;:::::::::;;+#+###+#+##+###++#+#+#+``     ```````````:````  
  `````:```````````    `...``;;;;;;++++++++++++++++::::::::::'++###+##+######+#+++``.     `````````:`.```` 
  ```:````````````    `...```;;;;;;++++++++++++++++++:::::::::::++++######+##+#++#```.    ```````````.```` 
 .```.````````````    ....```;;;;;;++++++++++++++++++++''::;::::+########++##+####````.   ```````````````` 
 .` `.````````````    ...````;;;;;;'++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++##+#+######+#+++````.   ```````````````` 
  ` `:`:```````````   ...````;;;;;;'++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++#+##+#+##+#+###:````.   `````````:`.` `` 
  `` ```.```````````` ....`````;;;;:::::::;'+++++++++++++++++++++:;+++##+##+###':````.   `````````.``. ``` 
   `` ```,````````.``, `...``````;;````.,::::::++++++++++++++++++`.,::::::::::::````.  ``````````:``: ```  
    `` ```.````````.``., ...`````````.,`````.::::;+++++++++++++++``````````````````` ```````````.``, ```   
     ``` :``.````.```.``:,`...`````````:+:``````,:::;++++++++++++.``++++:````````` ```````````.``. ```.    
      ```  ,```,``..``:,`.::` ...``````',#+````````.:::'++++++++:`````;;``````` ```````````,```.` ````     
        ```` :````:`:.`.:,`,::.````..``````````````````:::;;;;+;``````````` ````````````:````, ````        
           ```  : .``::.`:::`.::,.``````..````````````````.,:,``````````````````````:.````,` ```.          
             ````` :. `::.,:::,.:::,,..````````````````````````````````````````,,``````,` `````            
                ````.:.,:::..,:::.,:::::::.`````````````````````````````.,,.````` .,` `````                
                    ``::.`::::.,::::::::::,.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,::,.`````````` `,,` ``````                    
                        ::,.,:::::::::::::,:::::,...,.``````````   `.,,,`  ``````.`                        
                         `:::,,:::::::::. `.,::::::::::,....``   ````````````                              
                           `;:::::::::,   `...```.,;:::::::::::,..,,`                                      
                              :::::::                  ,;::::::::::::,,...,:,.                             
                                `,,`                       `:::::::::::::::::,,:`                          
                                                               `::::::::::::::::                           
                                                                   `;::::::::::                            
                                                                       :::::::.                            
                                                                          ,:                               

The thing is, if they do something like this based on Raspberry Pie, they would practically perform the same and you couldn't quite measure the performance difference, the verdict would have to be based on aesthetics. If you mean doing something similar but with PC based hardware, we already have pitched a similar idea (few times iirc) and we are hoping they might do something similar. I'm not sure if they could do better :ph34r:

Nevertheless, that's a cool project there. :o

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Thats a cool idea, Id also like to see one where the have a 'very' low budget to compete for the highest framerate in crysis 1 on max settings.