LAN port stopped working after power outage

I will be brief.

• Power went out --- Power came back --- Computer shows cable unplugged --- No flashing light on port 1 --- Suspect dead ports --- Calls support --- ISP technician arrives --- blames it on the computer and switch --- I think it's the switch, so I had nothing to say --- Prick leaves (I have reason for calling him a prick) --- port works again after he connected his laptop directly --- Connect my computer to same port --- Working,runs a speed test to make sure,internet speed is nowhere close to 50 Mbps, I check with wifi and it's fine on that (Wifi has been working fine the whole time) --- resets the router --- stopped working on direct connection as well --- connected 2nd computer with different ethernet cable running to it, same issue --- completely lost 

Regular setup and some more info.

• ISP Router/Modem 
  • Only 1 port is available for use,port 3 is reserved for their TV service (Which works fine) 
  • Port 1 is connected to a switch which has 2 computers connected to it 
  • Both ethernet wire is over 10m long 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

sometimes before a power outage there is a surge which can damage components

it can travel through ethernet

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

If your wireless modem/ thing wasn't surge protected and thats what the cable was connected to, a power outage could definitely have damaged it.

The above is very true. Current/power surges can travel through ethernet so if the switch or modem were not surge protected, the ethernet port is done for. :(

From what it seems,getting a replacement router/modem from ISP is the only solution 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

On 8/12/2016 at 1:28 AM, thekeemo said:

sometimes before a power outage there is a surge which can damage components

it can travel through ethernet

On 8/12/2016 at 1:29 AM, fastfishy2 said:

If your wireless modem/ thing wasn't surge protected and thats what the cable was connected to, a power outage could definitely have damaged it.

On 8/12/2016 at 1:32 AM, rf9661 said:

The above is very true. Current/power surges can travel through ethernet so if the switch or modem were not surge protected, the ethernet port is done for. :(

I changed out the cables and it's now working fine on both computers o.O also the switch is dead as well

So now I have 2 long cable and 1 switch dead.

With a cable tester, the readings are identical with the one working and the one not working...lost yet again 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

It seems all the cables are not grounded 

Both cables (The ones not working) 

20160816_020002.jpg

This is the previous cable not working anymore (This is the previous one connected to my computer, the one I am using now has same reading but the 8th wire is not detected) 

20160816_020714.jpg

The 2nd cable going to another room which is not working anymore,ignore crossover (the light was flickering while I took that picture,after seeing this picture I tested again) 

Some help would be appreciated =) 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Fish?

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

• 2 weeks later...

Sharif - do note that only shielded cables will be grounded, and those are not typically used with Ethernet unless there is a special requirement.

1 hour ago, FliesLikeABrick said:

Sharif - do note that only shielded cables will be grounded, and those are not typically used with Ethernet unless there is a special requirement.

I gave up anyway, I changed out the whole 14M cable and called it a day 

Though I am still curious 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD