Best compatible xeon for SE7525GP2 server board

Hey there,

I was recently gifted a ~10 year old server from from Siemens. It currently has dual SL7ZF single core processors on the SE7525GP2 board. Anyways, I was wondering what the best compatible xeons are. I found a spec sheet on Intel's site, but I'm pretty sure that only lists the "release" processors (and the updated list is a dead link), and through research I've found that some significantly better processors where released for the 604 socket. I'm in my early 20s, so someone with experience that knows more about this platform would be a great help. It seems info is slightly more scarce than more current hardware, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. FYI my CPU upgrade budget would be about $30-$60. I saw a set of 6 core xeons for $32 on ebay. Also, if anybody can tell me whether some more consumer type heatsinks (not so massive and loud) where released, that would be cool. If not I'll just cobble something together in the future.

Thanks

PS

Here's some links

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/se7320sp2_se7525gp2_tps_40.pdf

Core i5 4670k @4.0Ghz stock voltage w/ Corsair H100i | MSI GD65 Gaming Board | GIGABYTE R9 290 | 16GB G.Skill Memory @2133mhz | 256GB Crucial MX100 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD

3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | 20GB FUJITSU 5400rpm Xbox 360 HDD | EVGA 750W Power Supply | Lian Li Alpha 330

i wouldnt even bother touching this server board at all. its built on the pentium 4 era and those are not exactly energy efficient. like the only used xeons id recommend are the 5500 or 5600 xeon series and above. plus these older CPUs run really hot and loud so there is no avoiding it and also they no longer make any aftermarket parts for that socket anymore. you can do some ghetto mount solution but even then there is no practical use for this system anymore unless your into retro PCs and do fuck around builds. but if you were to say do something like NAS or home server this is basically useless 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

i wouldnt even bother touching this server board at all. its built on the pentium 4 era and those are not exactly energy efficient. 

So I can't really upgrade it then? Power efficiency isn't something I care about. I'm not going to use it as a full time server. Maybe some kind of personal server for my friends to game on or something, if it's possible to upgrade.

Core i5 4670k @4.0Ghz stock voltage w/ Corsair H100i | MSI GD65 Gaming Board | GIGABYTE R9 290 | 16GB G.Skill Memory @2133mhz | 256GB Crucial MX100 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD

3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | 20GB FUJITSU 5400rpm Xbox 360 HDD | EVGA 750W Power Supply | Lian Li Alpha 330

5 minutes ago, JESUSARIUS REX said:

So I can't really upgrade it then? Power efficiency isn't something I care about. I'm not going to use it as a full time server. Maybe some kind of personal server for my friends to game on or something, if it's possible to upgrade.

even then the max amount of cores you can have on it is 4 and that is with 2 processor both being dual cores. if you want a dirt cheap game server look at the LGA 771 or even better option would be the 1366 platform, since its much more energy efficient than 771. and 771 runs pretty hot already... id say the best used sub $500 server platform out there as of now has to be 1366 with good price/performance. if you up the budget to 1k then LGA 2011 since you can do a dual e5 2670 platform. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

even then the max amount of cores you can have on it is 4 and that is with 2 processor both being dual cores. if you want a dirt cheap game server look at the LGA 771 or even better option would be the 1366 platform, since its much more energy efficient than 771. 

Well dang... I was hoping I could put at least two 4 core CPUs in it for cheap and have a decent little server. Could you give some model numbers anyways? Depending on the price I might upgrade them just for the shits and giggles.

3 minutes ago, JESUSARIUS REX said:

Well dang... I was hoping I could put at least two 4 core CPUs in it for cheap and have a decent little server. Could you give some model numbers anyways? Depending on the price I might upgrade them just for the shits and giggles.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XE7330.TRS5&_nkw=E7330&_sacat=0

you might be able to do that. this xeon is socket 604 and its $5 lol i don't know if you have to flash the bios or not though. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=E7450&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xxeon+E7450.TRS0&_nkw=xeon+E7450&_sacat=0

found the 6 core on that socket as well. id still say if you want to take a gamble just flash the bios to the latest revision then get 2 4 cores and see what happens 

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XE7330.TRS5&_nkw=E7330&_sacat=0

you might be able to do that. this xeon is socket 604 and its $5 lol i don't know if you have to flash the bios or not though. 

Ya, I was looking at those. I'm going to assume I can't upgrade to either of what you posted, since the spec sheet says it only supports CPUs with a 800mhz FSB. I might ask around, but I think you're right. Not really worth it since it seems only dual cores are supported. Thanks for the help.

Also think it's worth posting in the Server/NAS forum? I didn't think about it that way at first so I posted here. Don't want to double post for no reason though.

well it is a board so if you posted this in CPUs motherboards, and ram then i think you are in the green. plus if you posted there most likely you'll get the same awnser as me. how its not worth it to upgrade something this old. i mean i have old PCs like if it was a LGA 775 platform thats still worth saving since lots of people still run them, but anything older than 775/AM2+ is useless since power consemption and just age 

23 minutes ago, JESUSARIUS REX said:

Ya, I was looking at those. I'm going to assume I can't upgrade to either of what you posted, since the spec sheet says it only supports CPUs with a 800mhz FSB. I might ask around, but I think you're right. Not really worth it since it seems only dual cores are supported. Thanks for the help.

Higher fsb cpus are usually supported if they run at the lower fsb which will decrease the clockspeed drasticly.

21 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

well it is a board so if you posted this in CPUs motherboards, and ram then i think you are in the green. plus if you posted there most likely you'll get the same awnser as me. how its not worth it to upgrade something this old. i mean i have old PCs like if it was a LGA 775 platform thats still worth saving since lots of people still run them, but anything older than 775/AM2+ is useless since power consemption and just age 

Not all 775 are worth saving, really only the quad core ones that you can get to 3GHz are the only ones that are somewhat useful. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Higher fsb cpus are usually supported if they run at the lower fsb which will decrease the clockspeed drasticly.

Not all 775 are worth saving, really only the quad core ones that you can get to 3GHz are the only ones that are somewhat useful. 

but you can do the 775 to 771 on most boards and thats whats worth saving it

6 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

but you can do the 775 to 771 on most boards and thats whats worth saving it

Yeah on some, but not the older 775 board s that only supported pentiums.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

22 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Yeah on some, but not the older 775 board s that only supported pentiums.

true as long as you have a 775 board that supports core 2 quads then your fine. but anything that only supports a pentium then you have a potato