Asus Z170-E vs Asus Z170-A

Go to solution Solved by Ichi,
3 minutes ago, Lukerative said:

Is it worth it to have 2 extra PCIE 3.0x1 slots, USB 3.0 Type A, and other features, or will I be fine with the Z170-E?

This is basically what you yourself have to answer...

Once you answer those question, the decision is made.

It's either you need it or you don't.

So, I'm looking at building a new system, and I'm looking between the two Asus motherboards from the title. The A has slightly more connectors and slots than the E, but I can get the E for $70 less at MicroCenter. Is it worth it to have 2 extra PCIE 3.0x1 slots, USB 3.0 Type A, and other features, or will I be fine with the Z170-E?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=-1|13-132-566^13-132-566%2C13-132-691^13-132-691

Comparison link

Will be getting:

i5-6600k

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo

16GB DDR4

Asus GTX 1070 Dual

If you don't need too much connectors, I'd say the Z170-E is good enough

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Yeah, my case has extra USB 2.0 and 3.0 already, so I should be fine in that area.

PSU is an EVGA 650GQ

3 minutes ago, Lukerative said:

Is it worth it to have 2 extra PCIE 3.0x1 slots, USB 3.0 Type A, and other features, or will I be fine with the Z170-E?

2 minutes ago, Lukerative said:

Asus GTX 1070 Dual

What do you mean by "dual?" The Z170-E has no SLI support, so you'll be limited to a single card on that board.

Looks like SLI support and one USB 3.1 Type A port are the biggest differences. If you can live without those, get the Z170-E.

Just now, Ichi said:

Duly noted. That was a dumb question, now that I think about it:P

Just now, Lukerative said:

Duly noted. That was a dumb question, now that I think about it:P

I like your attitude.

Keep moving forward.

3 minutes ago, typographie said:

What do you mean by "dual?" The Z170-E has no SLI support, so you'll be limited to a single card on that board.

Looks like SLI support and one USB 3.1 Type A port are the biggest differences. If you can live without those, get the Z170-E.

That Asus's naming scheme usually leads to misunderstanding

Asus 1070 Dual =/= Asus 1070 SLI, here is its picture

r44fMyr.jpg

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Just now, typographie said:

"ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 DUAL-GTX1070-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card"

(It's the white one they designed to go with the X99 motherboards)

Plus, it does say at the bottom of the chart that the Z170-E supports 2-way SLI, so if hopefully that's accurate.

One last question: will the two 4-pin Chassis fan connectors on the  Z170-E work with fans that have 3 pin connectors (DC mode)?

8 minutes ago, Lukerative said:

"ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 DUAL-GTX1070-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card"

(It's the white one they designed to go with the X99 motherboards)

Plus, it does say at the bottom of the chart that the Z170-E supports 2-way SLI, so if hopefully that's accurate.

Well, whoops. Didn't know that Asus SKU existed. I thought you might've been referring to SLI.

I think I just read something incorrectly in the chart. In one row, it listed SLI/Crossfire support only on the Z170-A's side, but I'm seeing SLI listed for the Z170-E in other places. You're right, I think both support SLI.