Room for improvement? Small, but powerful 1440p rig

Hi everyone,

Like a few others I'm giving up on waiting for the Razer Core and decided I'll build myself (yet another) desktop PC instead.
However, since the Core was my initial plan I'm at least aiming for a similarly sized desktop. It's been a while since
I've last went up shopping for hardware, so I would greatly appreciate any feedback on better components. My budget is a bit limited
though, max 1900AUD (roughly 1400USD). 

Below is what I've picked out so far. I'm a bit uncertain about the case, but it seems to at least fit the graphics card and
liquid cooler I've selected. Note that the 32Gb of memory is pretty firm requirement; I'm using VM's a lot for work. 
I already have a Samsung EVO840 which I'll use initially, but that will probably be upgraded into a NVMe drive sooner
or later. 

I've just purchased a new 1440p G-Sync compatible monitor, so the Nvidia card has to stay as well. 
Oh, and if it wasn't clear the primary purpose of this rig is gaming :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($332.00 @ Centre Com) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($179.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($202.00 @ IJK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($739.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($65.00 @ CPL Online) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($165.00 @ IJK) 
Total: $1781.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-07 21:56 AEST+1000

You've paired an unlocked CPU with a motherboard that cannot overclock. You'll need a Z170 mobo to do so.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Good catch! Didn't even think about that. A bit on the fence if I should just skip the unlocked i5 and go for a "regular" one instead. Reasoning being
that I'm not certain if heating will be a problem in such a small case (my previous rig was a full sized mid-tower with an i7-4770k).

You need Z170 mobo and even if you overclock that CPU it will bottleneck 1070.

Ref. the motherboard - gotcha, thanks (see reply to HKZeroFive). 

That an i5-6600k will bottleneck the 1070 doesn't sound very plausible, at least, in my experience CPU bottlenecking hasn't been
an issue in a long time. Do you have any benchmarks / sources I could educate myself with? Not trying to be difficult, just curious :)

2 minutes ago, IndexOverflow said:

Good catch! Didn't even think about that. A bit on the fence if I should just skip the unlocked i5 and go for a "regular" one instead. Reasoning being

that I'm not certain if heating will be a problem in such a small case (my previous rig was a full sized mid-tower with an i7-4770k).

Doubt that heat will be such a problem to turn you off from trying to overclock in a mini-ITX build. The liquid cooling will dissipate the heat from the CPU anyway.

9 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

You need Z170 mobo and even if you overclock that CPU it will bottleneck 1070.

Only applies to 1080p 144Hz. Otherwise, an i5 6600K + GTX 1070 at 1440p will be fine.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder