GPU disables after adding HDD? PSU Issue?

Amgzzz

Specs:

Intel I5-4460 Haswell 3.2ghz, turbo boost to 3.4ghz

EVGA 400 watt continous power supply

EVGA GTX 960 2gb SSC ACX 2.0, whisper silent graphics card

Asrock H97 Anniversary LGA 1150, Intel motherboard

4x2GB G skill ripjaws DDR3 1600 desktop memory

Samsung 750 EVO 250 GB SSD

Expansions:

ASUS PCE N15 wifi card

Bluetooth mouse

wired keyboard

This build worked perfectly fine. When I decided to add an old seagate 500GB Momentus Thin HDD inside. I turn on the PC, and the GPU is disabled, no display on my monitor, ONLY windows sounds. Like sticky keys and windows startup sound. And when I take the drive out the GPU gets enabled again. This is most likely a power supply issue right? New egg support said I needed a higher wattage PSU

ehh, it could be a power supply issue. You are probably going over wattage with adding the hard drive. Plug your monitor into your integrated graphics on your cpu.

7 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

ehh, it could be a power supply issue. You are probably going over wattage with adding the hard drive. Plug your monitor into your integrated graphics on your cpu.

Lol cant now, Ive already tried that. When I removed the GPU, my mobo died.

You don't need a higher-wattage PSU, you need one of actually decent quality. The EVGA 400W is a tier 6 unit, it's awful. Get a 750B2 or Antec HCG 520W and you won't see these issues.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

You don't need a higher-wattage PSU, you need one of actually decent quality. The EVGA 400W is a tier 6 unit, it's awful. Get a 750B2 or Antec HCG 520W and you won't see these issues.

Hmm, might go for that HCG 520W, ive already RMA'd my PSU. So are you sure the wattage is not the issue? I just dont want this same problem to happen again because returning parts online is a freakin hassle.

Just now, Amgzzz said:

Hmm, might go for that HCG 520W, ive already RMA'd my PSU. So are you sure the wattage is not the issue? I just dont want this same problem to happen again because returning parts online is a freakin hassle.

Yeah, wattage is not the issue. A GTX 960 uses like 75W of its own power and you'll never see your system use more than 200W under any circumstances.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

Yeah, wattage is not the issue. A GTX 960 uses like 75W of its own power and you'll never see your system use more than 200W under any circumstances.

Fuck, just realized that 520w HCG, is 88 bucks i only have 50 to spend on a PSU right now, any other suggestions?

Bumping this post if anybody knows some good 50 dollar power supplies