New PC build after 4 years (6700k, 1070)

Kenturrac

1. Budget & Location

I live in Sweden but I will probably buy in Germany since its cheaper if I get it from one store. And Mindfactory in Germany is anyway the cheapest store you can find there. 

Since there is a shortage in 1070 GPUs in Germany tho, I might get the GPU in Sweden.

Budget does not really matter but I like a good price/value ratio.

2. Aim

60% Gaming and 40% Game Dev in Unreal 4

3. Monitors

I work in a 3x1440p environment and do gaming in a single 1440p environment.

4. Peripherals

This system will run Win10.

5. Why are you upgrading?

Well, its about time after 4 years.

6. Rig suggestion and final thoughts?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€339.33 @ Mindfactory) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  (€63.94 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€179.85 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€97.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card 
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 10 CM 600W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€111.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

GPU could also easily be a 1070 FTW from EVGA but I will go with the one that is available at the time of purchase.

I am not sure about PSU yet. I could also go with the EVGA P2 650W but it is a bit more expensive. I basically have no clues about PSUs. Lowest possible noise is important for me and stability especially since I want to overclock the rig aswell.

Besides recommendations for the PSU. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Dont get the ranger get something like the Gigabyte z170 gaming 7 also what game are you making 

My life

I got myself the Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Gaming Mobo (also i7-6700k but with a 980Ti strix) and I am very happy with it. It might be a little to much for what you will need but there is enough room for updates in the future if you want to invest on upgradeablility

Thx for the fast replies. Can you guys go a bit more into details what either Mobo adds over the Ranger or why it is a better choice? I would like to learn and make an educated decision in the end.

@HimommiesPrivately I mainly do modding for Ark, Squad or Arma 3. Professionally I do work on BF1, but this PC will not be used for that.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€339.33 @ Mindfactory) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  (€63.94 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€179.85 @ Mindfactory) 

^Consider the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra (£164.53 @ Mindfactory), newly released Z170 mobo with nice features. / Vortez Review / https://youtu.be/XIChP8A2KR8

^The LEDs would look good paired with your case
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€97.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  (€458.82 @ Mindfactory) 

^I'd go with this since it's one of cheapest 1070s while still having one of the highest clocks
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case  (€85.45 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Paris 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€89.92 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

^get this over that beQuiet psu, has higher quality capacitors and black cables
Total: €1315.15

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

After 4 years?  What do you have right now?  If you have an Ivy Bridge or a Haswell from 4 years ago, there's probably not a lot to be gained unless you're moving from an i3/i5 to an i7.  Or to a Socket 2011 platform.   

I have an 2600k right now and while this is still a very good CPU, I will need this PC for other projects. So upgrading is not an option.

You are not the first one who recommends a Gigabyte Mobo to me. Haven't ever had anything from that company but I truely should check it out. Sadly, I cant really find noise reviews of the PSU which is reason enough for me to not get it. Noise is the most important thing for me after performance.

For PSU you can go with

Seasonic S12ii / m12ii / g12 etc.

EVGA : G2, GS, GQ, P2, etc

Coolermaster : V

Crosair : RM x/i , Ax , Hx etc.

With that budget for PSU, i would like go with evga or seasonic.

18 hours ago, Kenturrac said:

I am not sure about PSU yet. I could also go with the EVGA P2 650W but it is a bit more expensive. I basically have no clues about PSUs. Lowest possible noise is important for me and stability especially since I want to overclock the rig aswell.

Besides recommendations for the PSU. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

I do recommend that EVGA unit. beQuiet are very silent PSUs, but my Straight Power 9 CM 580W started giving issues after 3 years even though I never really pushed my rig. I suppose the internal components aren't the best. It did come with 5 year warrenty, so I sent it back to Germany. I now have a Corsair RM650x, no complaints yet.

Folding@Home ~75k points per day | My Simple Air-cooled Machine Maintenance Guide | Dutch Talk | Building a Wooden Popsicle Stick House

Main rig: i7-3770 stock - ASUS P8Z77-M - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - 2x Radeon HD6970 2GB - SilverStone GD05-B - Corsair RM650x

Seems like I will roll with the EVGA P2 650W. From what I read it is an insanely good PSU and probably over the top for my needs, but rather be safe than sorry. I will do some tests tho, once I got it. If it gets too noisy, I have to trade it in.

Also my CPU cooler is not fitting into the case. Well, basically no big cooler is fitting into it. And I dont want to go for a AIO cooler since they are much louder. So I picked the Phanteks Evolv ATX as a case instead.