Bulding a PC, Need help

ChasM__-

Hello guys,

I am going to build a new PC and I would like you to help me with  making my final decision.

CPU:  Intel Core i7-6700K

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Extreme

GPU: Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB

Now I'm having trouble picking the rest of the parts.

I'm going to use this computer for gaming and I have this monitor: ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Willing to spend arround 2500 EUR / 2800 US$

Please advice on what parts I should replace / add

EVGA SuperNova 750G2 for the PSU(there are probably better choices but thats what i could think off)

some 2TB HDD(from some good brand, Seagate, WB, Tochiba)

Phantecs Enthoo Evolve for the case

not sure what to do about the CPU cooler but thats something someone else can help out with

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Well, you'll still need a Case, PSU, and some RAM.

Ram is plent these days just make sure your MoBo supports its speed and type (mainly ddr3/ddr4) 

Cases are also easy to find andits up to your prefrence, i prefer corsair cases. You need to make sure theyrebig enough and fit your mobo.

A PSU is important, make sure it has enough wattage and a good rating for reliability. Again you cant go wrong with most up to date corsair PSUs.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X 4.4GHz | GPU: RTX 3070 FE | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 4x8GB 3600MHz DDR4 | MoBo: ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII  | Case: Corsair 5000D AF CPU cooler: Corsair H150i CapellixPSU: Corsair RM850x |

If your really only into gaming, if you could get a I5-6600K and a Hydro H115I and overclock it well, you wouldnt experience any bottlenecks on that system.

Groomlake Authority

9 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

If your really only into gaming, if you could get a I5-6600K and a Hydro H115I and overclock it well, you wouldnt experience any bottlenecks on that system.

I would get the i7. The i5 already bottlenecks a 1070 by a little bit even when overclocked.

Thanks for the replies!

so now I'm doubting about the i5 and i7 hmm.. another quick quetsion. should I go for the Titan X Pascal or two 1080's ? I have heard that SLI creates stuttering and the support is very bad.

5 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

-snip-

Well, i did see your comment about that in a previous post, but thats literally contradictory to every advice people gave in these forums troughout the year (Not just for 1080p ofc, but 4K usually really requires stupidly high horsepower). A 4.7Ghz I5-6600K, which is pretty easy to do with this AIO cooler from Corsair, shouldnt really give any problem for this person. Heck, if he could get a 4.9, it would be godly. A stock I7-6700K should also be problematic, by the sensus the previous videos shown.

Groomlake Authority

3 minutes ago, ChasM__- said:

Thanks for the replies!

so now I'm doubting about the i5 and i7 hmm.. another quick quetsion. should I go for the Titan X Pascal or two 1080's ? I have heard that SLI creates stuttering and the support is very bad.

Don't go for the Titan X Pascal, not worth it over two 1080s.

Diamond 5 in League :)

Just now, Shd0w2 said:

-snip-

At least for 1440p. If it was 4K, the Titan XP would be the wisest choice, especially with a near 2Ghz OC.

Groomlake Authority

Not really sure what your budget is, but tried to base this around your choice of motherboard.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KcWWbj

There are certainly a lot of other choices you could make, or more affordable choices. Or more expensive choices. Let me know what your budget is and what sort of gaming experience you're after and I can tweak some of this.

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

but thats literally contradictory to every advice people gave in these forums troughout the year.

And that was before we had such powerful GPU's on the mainstream market. I mean the bottleneck will be minimal at 1440p with the i5 but it's only 100 more for the i7 and he has the budget for it. 

3 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

At least for 1440p. If it was 4K, the Titan XP would be the wisest choice, especially with a near 2Ghz OC.

No... The titan XP has lower clock speeds AFAIK, and the titan XP still gets outperformed by a lot by the GTX 1080 SLI...

@Zyndo

My budget is 2500 EUR / 2800 US$. and I just purchased this screen: ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Just now, Shd0w2 said:

No... The titan XP has lower clock speeds AFAIK, and the titan XP still gets outperformed by a lot by the GTX 1080 SLI...

the titan can get comparable clockspeeds when you overclock it. the problem is the stock cooler is so pitiful that you gotta run those fans 100% in order to get there. If you could put the titan on water, it would probably compete with 1080 SLI, otherwise, the 1080's are going to win that battle methinks.

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

-snip-

But you dont disagree that a 4.9Ghz 6600K wont perform as good, if not better than a stock 6700K, cuz that would be cat piss crazy....

Just now, Shd0w2 said:

-snip-

No what? Obvously a single card is always best and JayZTwoCents was able to get 1941Mhz OC on a Titan XP.

Groomlake Authority

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

the titan can get comparable clockspeeds when you overclock it. the problem is the stock cooler is so pitiful that you gotta run those fans 100% in order to get there. If you could put the titan on water, it would probably compete with 1080 SLI, otherwise, the 1080's are going to win that battle methinks.

It can get comparable clocks to a base 1080, not an overclocked 1080 unless you compare it to a 1080 that loses the silicon lottery and a titan XP that wins it by a long shot.

4 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

But you dont disagree that a 4.9Ghz 6600K wont perform as good, if not better than a stock 6700K, cuz that would be cat piss crazy....

No what? Obvously a single card is always best and JayZTwoCents was able to get 1941Mhz OC on a Titan XP.

A single card is good, yes, but two GTX 1080s are still the better choice for gaming, and will perform better than the Titan XP at even 4k. The only reason Jay likely got a 1941mhz OC was because he got really lucky with the silicon lottery.

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

And what if he doesn't want to overclock? 4.9 GHz will in most cases require pretty high voltages. He could also overclock the 6700K and get even more performance. Honestly if he already wants to spend so much on a motherboard why not spend an extra 100 on a CPU?

Just now, Shd0w2 said:

-snip-

In some games yes...  overhaul its still the better card, not for value tough.

Groomlake Authority

3 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

In some games yes...  overhaul its still the better card, not for value tough.

SLI optimization is getting better as we go, and the Titan XP only has at most ~20% better performance when compared to a SINGLE 1080. 

Just now, Shd0w2 said:

-snip-

It seemed like 30%. Well, for the most modern games yeah, but then again its not like he will be able to play Flyff at more than 60fps no matter the res! :P

Groomlake Authority

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/yd3q3F
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/yd3q3F/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($349.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Tomahawk AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($62.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($308.00 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($187.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ NCIX US) 
Other: GTX Titan X Pascal ($1200.00)
Total: $2460.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-06 16:16 EDT-0400

Just now, Shd0w2 said:

It can get comparable clocks to a base 1080, not an overclocked 1080 unless you compare it to a 1080 that loses the silicon lottery and a titan XP that wins it by a long shot.

A single card is good, yes, but two GTX 1080s are still the better choice for gaming, and will perform better than the Titan XP at even 4k. The only reason Jay likely got a 1941mhz OC was because he got really lucky with the silicon lottery.

Not at all. The reason he was able to get so high is because his cooling allowed it. He even says in his video he could likely go further. The reason so many other people can't get that frequency is because a reasonable person wouldn't want to use their computer with fan speed at 100% on those things. If you put it on water, you eliminate that issue. You can get all the cooling in the world with minimal acoustic penalty with water.

The issue isn't that the Titan XP is incapable of beating out the 1080 by a significant margin. The issue is the stock cooling method for the card cannot keep up with the Titan.