Noise Dampening Foam

arch_linuxos

My radiator fans are loud. They look cool and work well, but they're loud, and I can't make them not go 100%. Sigh.

This new case improves upon the noise of my old one because of the closed top, but it's definitely still audible at idle.

So, does anyone know of good noise dampening foam or inserts of some kind to put in my case? Preferable kind of thin so they can fit in the top section without restricting airflow too much. Case is Enthoo Evolv ATX, other specs in signature if you need. 

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

what about in-line resistors for the fans? like noctua includes.
and your Asus motherboard should allow you control all your fans....?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

do you have a lot of fan filters installed? if so removing or replacing them might be a better option

Acoustic foam will literally do nothing if you have loud fans.

Instead of spending money on foam, spend money on new fans and either connect them to your motherboard (to control them) or sue a fan controller.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, mok said:

what about in-line resistors for the fans? like noctua includes.
and your Asus motherboard should allow you control all your fans....?

I want them to be able to go full speed if they need to is the thing. And yes, it does :). Just not the ones on H110i GTX.

1 hour ago, Alexzz_ said:

do you have a lot of fan filters installed? if so removing or replacing them might be a better option

What do you mean? Like dust filters? If so, yes, on every intake. But not exhausts. Would rather not remove them over intakes.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Acoustic foam will literally do nothing if you have loud fans.

Instead of spending money on foam, spend money on new fans and either connect them to your motherboard (to control them) or sue a fan controller.

Are you sure? I've heard it dampens noise... The issue is not the fans vibrating or anything, it's the noise of the bearings. And foam is way cheaper than two good new fans friend ;). 

I've tried connecting these to my motherboard, but it always gives CPU Fan Speed Error (I disable that, of course). Then, though, I get super long boot times for some reason. So some way to lower the noise level seems like the best option.

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

5 minutes ago, arch_linuxos said:

Are you sure? I've heard it dampens noise... The issue is not the fans vibrating or anything, it's the noise of the bearings. And foam is way cheaper than two good new fans friend ;). 

I've tried connecting these to my motherboard, but it always gives CPU Fan Speed Error (I disable that, of course). Then, though, I get super long boot times for some reason. So some way to lower the noise level seems like the best option.

It is meant to be used in rooms to reduce echo and reflections off walls.

If you put it inside a PC case it will barely make a difference.

Having silent fans makes a MUCH bigger difference than foam.

And (real) acoustic foam is $10-40 per square foot which could buy you new fans anyway.

If your motherboard doesn't work properly then use a fan controller, those cost less than $30.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020