PWM Fan splitter vs Y cable

PwnY

i didnt know which sub i should post this in but i thought this is the most fitting.

Hi i just wanted to ask if there is any drawback to using a Y Cable instead of a pcb fan splitter?

also could you recommend any good 4pin pwm splitters i could only find 3pin splitters/hubs.

2 minutes ago, PwnY said:

i didnt know which sub i should post this in but i thought this is the most fitting.

Hi i just wanted to ask if there is any drawback to using a Y Cable instead of a pcb fan splitter?

also could you recommend any good 4pin pwm splitters i could only find 3pin splitters/hubs.

Yes PWM fans can be used on splitters just make sure if if your putting it on the motherboard to not have more than 3-4 fans per header as to not overload it.

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Sleeved-Splitter-CPF01/dp/B00B46XKKQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1470429982&sr=1-1

-Moved to Air cooling- 

11 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes PWM fans can be used on splitters just make sure if if your putting it on the motherboard to not have more than 3-4 fans per header as to not overload it.

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Sleeved-Splitter-CPF01/dp/B00B46XKKQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1470429982&sr=1-1

-Moved to Air cooling- 

Is that always the case or does it depend on the motherboard? Because I have 6 plugged in on one header, and never had a problem but now im concerned hahaha :D

99 Kid. Yes. A 'Youngster'.

World famous Couchpotatoe.

4 minutes ago, Yali said:

Is that always the case or does it depend on the motherboard? Because I have 6 plugged in on one header, and never had a problem but now im concerned hahaha :D

Depends if you have a power PWM spltter that takes auxillary power from the PSU then it's not an issues but if it's drawing current from the motherboard I would suggest to change the setup, most headers only have a 1Amp capacity. However some fans can draw more than double the rated amperage during startup to get the fan going depending on how the manufacture decided to go about labeling it. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Depends if you have a power PWM spltter that takes auxillary power from the PSU then it's not an issues but if it's drawing current from the motherboard I would suggest to change the setup, most headers only have a 1Amp capacity. However some fans can draw more than double the rated amperage during startup to get the fan going depending on how the manufacture decided to go about labeling it. 

Oh ok yeah makes sense. I have a phobya splitter board that attaches to the motheboard and directly to the psu with a molex. So it probably just regulates speed through the mobo and takes the additional power from the psu then :) thank you, and good job on the Modding FAQ!

Edited by Yali
spelling mistake

99 Kid. Yes. A 'Youngster'.

World famous Couchpotatoe.

1 hour ago, PwnY said:

could you recommend any good 4pin pwm splitters i could only find 3pin splitters/hubs.

PWM splitter- https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I

this wont control 3pin fans though, they'll just get 12v constantly (fyi)

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q