Upgrading, a request for tips (SSD, GPU, PSU)

Hello all!

This is my first post in the LinusTechTips forum and I'm happy to join you guys & girls here. I've assembled a system around 2012 consisting out of an Intel i5-4670k at 4.2 GHz 1.2 Volts, a MSI GTX 650 Ti Boost, a MSI Z87-G45 motherboard, a LEPA N600 PSU, Cooler Master 912 Advanced case and some peripherals. Quite recently I've invested in a 1440p monitor, namely the ASUS PG278Q. 

The normal games like CS:GO and other non demanding games can be run at 144 fps with dips to around 100-120 fps. Although my bunch of AAA titles like Fallout 4 and others are a different story. Due to this I'm thinking of upgrading to a GTX 1080 or 1070, MSI Gaming X is on my wishlist, and as a delayed decision buying a set of SSD, Samsung 850 EVO; 250 and 500 GB versions respectively. One for the operating system and one for games while maintaining the HDD as internal back-up and other files like documents, pictures etc. I don't do video editing or any of that stuff, I just use my computer to game every now and then and use it for my study/work.

The questions I had to this was:

"Do I need another power supply or will this 600 watt (40A on the 12V rail, 480 Watts total) suffice?" 

"Will the CPU last for a prolonged amount of time or is it a weak part in my system already?"

And any other points you guys&girls might want to criticize or point out of course! :-) 

Thanks all! And I'm looking forward to the replies!

Welcome to you ! :) 

I think the CPU is fine for now, especially if you overclock it a bit more (around 4.5GHz should be easily feasible).

But the PSU seems to be quite low-end. If it still works, fine, but be prepared to change if you feel some instability while overclocking your components. Cooler Master V series / Seasonic / EVGA Supernova are your best choices.

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

4 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

Welcome to you ! :) 

I think the CPU is fine for now, especially if you overclock it a bit more (around 4.5GHz should be easily feasible).

But the PSU seems to be quite low-end. If it still works, fine, but be prepared to change if you feel some instability while overclocking your components. Cooler Master V series / Seasonic / EVGA Supernova are your best choices.

Hello Roylapoutre!

Thanks for the really quick reply, I'll note down to get the new PSU alongside the items. I mean the costs are not too high for a new PSU and saving up for another month isn't that terrible and I've indeed haven't gotten any luck overclocking the i5 further than 4.2 GHz so far. Might even get a better deal on a 1070/1080 later on.

Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, Pezmerga said:

Hello Roylapoutre!

Thanks for the really quick reply, I'll note down to get the new PSU alongside the items. I mean the costs are not too high for a new PSU and saving up for another month isn't that terrible and I've indeed haven't gotten any luck overclocking the i5 further than 4.2 GHz so far. Might even get a better deal on a 1070/1080 later on.

Thanks again!

No problem!

And yeah, cheaping out on the PSU is always a bad idea anyway. Your current PSU might indeed be the reason why you can't go higher on your CPU. With your rig, a 600w or more PSU should be fine, but look at the high-end market. It will last waaaay longer and you won't have any problem regarding the other components of your build ;) 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

I would already say the first thing to upgrade would be the GPU, an RX480/1060 will do you well. Also a SSD will be good to. As for the the PSU, it seems to be quite low end. Something like a EVGA Supernova would be good to replace it. All you need is 500W, dont worry about volts in the rail. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

20 hours ago, rn8686 said:

I would already say the first thing to upgrade would be the GPU, an RX480/1060 will do you well. Also a SSD will be good to. As for the the PSU, it seems to be quite low end. Something like a EVGA Supernova would be good to replace it. All you need is 500W, dont worry about volts in the rail. 

Just out of curiosity, why would you suggest a gtx 1060? I mean wouldn't that just be under powered for my 1440P 144Hz screen? Further of course thanks for the input! ^_^

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  (€466.81 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Paris 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€89.92 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €556.73

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

3 hours ago, Pezmerga said:

Just out of curiosity, why would you suggest a gtx 1060? I mean wouldn't that just be under powered for my 1440P 144Hz screen? Further of course thanks for the input! ^_^

Sorry, I misread (Thought it was 1080p). A 1070 would be much better for 1440p. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5