New graphics card problems. No internet. Cannot display 2 monitors yet

jewishdolphins

The two monitor thing isn't an issue. I assume it's because I need to install an update through nvidia. However what is a problem is that I installed this new card and now I have no internet connection even tho I'm on an Ethernet cable. It just gives me this message when I run the diagnostics for my internet connection: "the Intel Ethernet connection 1218v adapter is experiencing driver or hardware related problems" 

the graphics card I got was a GeForce gtx 1070. 

I did not delete any drivers or software I already had on my pc. All I did was swap the graphics cards and connected the cables back where they were. What could possibly be the problem? Is it an error? do I need to reset my router when doing this sort of hardware upgrades? Please help!

What you did with your gpu should have 0 effect on your internet. Reset the router/modem and retry firmly placing the rj45 into the Ethernet port.

1 minute ago, Naeaes said:

I'm thinking you may have scraped the side of the motherboard as you installed the card and cut some crucial traces between the Ethernet port and the NIC chip.

I I already disconnected everything and reconnected it. Hope it's not what naeaes said...

Just now, jewishdolphins said:

I I already disconnected everything and reconnected it. Hope it's not what naeaes said...

still no connection 

It's not the card. I swapped to my old card and still no connection! What did I do??

Just now, jewishdolphins said:

Hope it's not what naeaes said...

Me too, man. Me too. :/ I've seen a ton of those as an RMA handler. It's well among the most common customer-induced damages and it's a definite denial, BTW. And sucks monkey balls. But the good news is that after a messup like that you never mess up like that again. Speaking from experience. :D 

Just now, Naeaes said:

Me too, man. Me too. :/ I've seen a ton of those as an RMA handler. It's well among the most common customer-induced damages and it's a definite denial, BTW. And sucks monkey balls. But the good news is that after a messup like that you never mess up like that again. Speaking from experience. :D 

How can I tell if that's the problem? What did I have had to scratch for something like that to happen? What do I do now? I connected my old card now

2 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

How can I tell if that's the problem? What did I have had to scratch for something like that to happen? What do I do now? I connected my old card now

Well, if the Ethernet starts working again with the old GPU, it's probably not it.  It's the I/O shield of the GPU. It has those two teeth protruding out that can be though to slide neatly in between the case and the board. 

You can pretty easily tell scraped traces from non-scraped by shining a bright light on them. Something like the flash on a cellphone. The bare copper reflects back pretty clearly. The sad thing is that it doesn't even have to be cut all the way though. Even the tiniest nick in the trace can introduce extra resistance to the system and make it impossible to tell a 1-bit from a 0-bit.

Just now, Naeaes said:

Well, if the Ethernet starts working again with the old GPU, it's probably not it.  It's the I/O shield of the GPU. It has those two teeth protruding out that can be though to slide neatly in between the case and the board. 

You can pretty easily tell scraped traces from non-scraped by shining a bright light on them. Something like the flash on a cellphone. The bare copper reflects back pretty clearly. The sad thing is that it doesn't even have to be cut all the way though. Even the tiniest nick in the trace can introduce extra resistance to the system and make it impossible to tell a 1-bit from a 0-bit.

Ethernet does not work with old gpu now..what do I do?

10 hours ago, jewishdolphins said:

Where does the scrape have to be? I don't know where to look

Spoiler

Image1.png

It would be right there at the edge of the board.